Upgrade from Re0 recommendations
Aug 31, 2010 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Nqnguyen2

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for about a year or so and have purchased two IEMs based upon knowledge gathered here. I'm looking to purchase my third IEMs with serious recommendations.

Music: Vocal trance, Korean pop, pop, alternative
Environment of use: Motorcycle, Gym, work. Must isolate very well to block out sounds
Comfort: I'd like comfort and seal to be as good as Shure SCL2 or better. Must allow motorcycle helmet to fit over my head.
Sound Preference: balanced like the RE0 but prefer a bit more bass; I want a good soundstage though
Price range: $150-$160; low maintenance requiring no filters
Previous experience: Shure SCL2 and RE0

I realize I'm asking for a lot based upon my price range. That's why I was hoping for some recommendations. I love the RE0 but I have to turn it up louder because the sound isolation is subpar which fatigues me faster than I'd like. Thanks.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for about a year or so and have purchased two IEMs based upon knowledge gathered here. I'm looking to purchase my third IEMs with serious recommendations.

Music: Vocal trance, Korean pop, pop, alternative
Environment of use: Motorcycle, Gym, work. Must isolate very well to block out sounds
Comfort: I'd like comfort and seal to be as good as Shure SCL2 or better. Must allow motorcycle helmet to fit over my head.
Sound Preference: balanced like the RE0 but prefer a bit more bass; I want a good soundstage though
Price range: $150-$160; low maintenance requiring no filters
Previous experience: Shure SCL2 and RE0

I realize I'm asking for a lot based upon my price range. That's why I was hoping for some recommendations. I love the RE0 but I have to turn it up louder because the sound isolation is subpar which fatigues me faster than I'd like. Thanks.

In your price range 150-160 I can recommend Radius DDM and HJE900 Panasonic.
Later one will suit best your needs due to isolation issues with the DDM, this phones  don't isolate very well, they are designed for home use more or less but the bass is and everything else is mind blowing,
HJE900 has good reviews too.
Get to know both and evaluate the cons and pros.
Good luck in your serach

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:

In your price range 150-160 I can recommend Radius DDM and HJE900 Panasonic.
Later one will suit best your needs due to isolation issues with the DDM, this phones  don't isolate very well, they are designed for home use more or less but the bass is and everything else is mind blowing,
HJE900 has good reviews too.
Get to know both and evaluate the cons and pros.
Good luck in your serach

Thanks for the quick reply yello.  Are either of those comfortable to use? I fear that my helmet will push the earphones against my ear when the helmet shifts. I occasionally experience some pain with the RE0 under the same situation.

Are they comparable to Shure SCL2?

Anyone else have recommendations?

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 13
I think the DDM's will be a no go for you - isolation is not even as good as the RE0. Since you mention isolation as a big factor, the only earphone that I can really suggest you take a look at is the Etymotic HF5. (Unfortunately not the cheaper and newer MC5, since they are probably too big to fit under your helmet.) Etymotics have industry leading isolation with tri flange tips.

I'm not sure if you will get much more bass out of the HF5's though. You'll have to ask other owners.

Have you tried changing tips on the RE0 btw? You might find them more comfortable with something like the Sony hybrid tip. It should also increase the bass.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I think the DDM's will be a no go for you - isolation is not even as good as the RE0. Since you mention isolation as a big factor, the only earphone that I can really suggest you take a look at is the Etymotic HF5. (Unfortunately not the cheaper and newer MC5, since they are probably too big to fit under your helmet.) Etymotics have industry leading isolation with tri flange tips.

I'm not sure if you will get much more bass out of the HF5's though. You'll have to ask other owners.

Have you tried changing tips on the RE0 btw? You might find them more comfortable with something like the Sony hybrid tip. It should also increase the bass.

Cool. I'll check out the HF5's also.

Yea I've tried to switch out the tips with Shure olive mods and they provided a little more isolation which is a great improvement. However, I don't think the modded RE0 provides comparable isolation and comfort as the SCL2.

Sound isolation and comfort is important to me because I normally don't listen to very loud music and I use IEMs in busy environments. If I can find something similar to SCL2 with those two characteristics and the neutral clarity of RE0 I'd be a happy camper.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 13
The thing about the Shures is that the nozzle is mounted diagonally to the body of the enclosure, so that the enclosure nestles itself in your outer ear. That's probably more comfortable when you have a helmet pressing against them.

Some neutral IEMs I can think of with a neutral sound are the CK10's, but they are overshooting your budget. But they are certainly considered to be some of the best IEMs you can buy though, both in terms of sound *and* build quality/comfort.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm thinking you should get either, the etymotic ER4-S, Fischer audio DBA-02, Audio technicha CK10, or Head-direct's very own RE-252
They have a roughly similar sound signature to the RE-0, which is detailed, clear, and neutral.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 13
The ER4s might not be the most comfortable in a motorcycle helmet.  Also bass is about similar to the RE0s from what I remember. 

OP - have you thought about just using cheap non isolating iems during motorcycle use?  Extreme isolation (like the Etys) on a motorcycle is an accident waiting to happen. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 13

[size=medium]

[size=small][size=10.0pt]Most of the Ety's will not sit very flush with your ear, making it hard to put on and remove a helmet without displacing them.  Also, if the MC5 is the "bassiest" of the Ety line, then they will only give you a bit more natural bass than the RE0 -- have the MC5, had the RE0.[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=10.0pt]I think what you need is probably flush-sitting type IEM like the Meelec M6, Soundmagic PL-50, Westone 1/2/3, etc.  Not real sure about the isolation of each, but combined with foam tips like Comply, you should get very good isolation inside your helmet.[/size][/size]

[/size]

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
The ER4s might not be the most comfortable in a motorcycle helmet.  Also bass is about similar to the RE0s from what I remember. 

OP - have you thought about just using cheap non isolating iems during motorcycle use?  Extreme isolation (like the Etys) on a motorcycle is an accident waiting to happen. 

Yea I've thought about the cheap way out but the wind noise and exhaust sound is already quite bad. As a result, I'd have to turn up the music extremely loud just to listen to music as I cruise.

I check my mirrors very often (perhaps too often) and I'm always staying aware of my surroundings. Thanks for looking out though -- I really appreciate it.

Quote:

[size=small][size=10pt]Most of the Ety's will not sit very flush with your ear, making it hard to put on and remove a helmet without displacing them.  Also, if the MC5 is the "bassiest" of the Ety line, then they will only give you a bit more natural bass than the RE0 -- have the MC5, had the RE0.[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=10pt]I think what you need is probably flush-sitting type IEM like the Meelec M6, Soundmagic PL-50, Westone 1/2/3, etc.  Not real sure about the isolation of each, but combined with foam tips like Comply, you should get very good isolation inside your helmet.[/size][/size]

So even the Etymotic HF5's don't sit flush with the ear? I've been looking at the Westones but I wasn't quite sure of the sound signature. I definitely don't want anything similar to the SCL2's sound sig because it seemed a little muffled compared to RE0.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've got a list made so I can research my options. Anyone else have anything to add?

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Before you get new iems, make sure you try Sony Hybrid tips on your RE0s first

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 13
rule out the hje900 and the re0 (even with hybrids) because while you can achieve good isolation with these, it will still not be enough considering your needs. Take into consideration the etys (hf5/mc5/er4s) and maybe the dba02.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Okay, after long contemplation and reading reviews, I've decided to go with the Ety MC5. I originally was looking at the Ety HF5 and FA DBA-02 but I figure that IEMs aren't build for longevity so I'd kick myself in the balls for purchasing high-priced equipment with high replacement costs.

In the end, the MC5 fit the bill with SQ similar to RE0 but with great isolation. The downside is that they require filters which adds to long-term costs but should be cheaper than HF5.

I want to thank everyone for giving me recommendations and pointing me in the right direction. I've already ordered the MC5 and excited to give it a whirl. THANKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back