Upgrade from or to my Denon D5000
Jan 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #21 of 33
I vote LCD2 and a dac/amp combo.  I love my D5000's, but the LCD2 is significantly better in every way (in my opinion).  I won't speak to which dac/amp since my only experience is with my Burson 160D (which I like), but that is apparently not en-vogue around here these days. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:
all fingers point to the LCD 2, i guess my choices are down to the LCD 2 + amp or Fostex TH900..

From what I've heard, the TH900 isn't a terribly huge upgrade over the original D7000, and I've seen a lot of people prefer a modded D5000 (with new cups) over a D7000, so... yeah. Make of that what you will.

Also another thing to note, is that the LCD-2's are much darker than the Denons. So if you like a bit of treble, it's something you might want to take into consideration...

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 33
The denons have a little spike in treble where the higher notes sting my ears. If that is taken away and the audeze can retain the same excellent bass of the denons, I guess we have a winner!

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
From what I've heard, the TH900 isn't a terribly huge upgrade over the original D7000, and I've seen a lot of people prefer a modded D5000 (with new cups) over a D7000, so... yeah. Make of that what you will.

Also another thing to note, is that the LCD-2's are much darker than the Denons. So if you like a bit of treble, it's something you might want to take into consideration...

Not sure, my LCD-2.2 has better treble than D5K, for some reason D5K misses there, still waiting for angle pads to see if they can help with that.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:
Does it have that peak in the treble? Also what amp/ DAC are you using To power them both? Thanks

To take it into perspective, the treble overall sounds somewhat muffled, noticeable with high hats and brass instruments. But there some narrow region where it can get spiky, hard to explain. LCD-2.2 treble sounds closer to real thing, with metal and zing but never harsh or abrasive.

This is Chord DAC64 + GS-1 with upgraded modules. My D5K dampened but the treble sounded the same before the mod.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #30 of 33
Thanks alot for your input. One more question, would you think that the audeze is worth the upgrade of 400 dollars or should I spend it else where to compliment my needs. ie, overall upgrade from the denon frequency

Users who are viewing this thread

Back