Upgrade from my Xonar STX? Schiit Magni and Modi maybe?
Dec 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Michael172

100+ Head-Fier
Would Schiit Magni and Modi offer much of an upgrade over my STX?

I rarely game and when I do its not serious, and mainly listen to music. Wondered if Schiit Magni and Modi would offer much of an upgrade or wouldnt it be worth the money?

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 16
Modi/Magni sounds more transparent and less aggressive opposed to the STX. Which i have both.

I'd say the Modi sounds better as a DAC, and the Magni is stronger/more neutral sounding as an amp.

Tim

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks. Would have purchased both minutes ago but theres nothing available in the UK yet. Dont mind ordering from the US. But....Plugs.... (No Pun Intended) are different. $300 seems a good price.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 16
You can always just get an amplifier first and plug into the STX's RCA jacks.

Maybe upgrade the STX's op-amps to AD797BRs?

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
You can always just get an amplifier first and plug into the STX's RCA jacks.

Maybe upgrade the STX's op-amps to AD797BRs?

eh, he rarely games.  may as well sell the STX for a quick $150 (while it's still fetching that much) and hop on the external bandwagon instead of investing more $ in opamps and stuff

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 16
The Schiit Modi is (judging from their own specifications) in fact more of a downgrade from the DAC of the Xonar Essence STX, and the ODAC is not an improvement either. You only really need a DAC "upgrade" if you have interference or ground loop problems. However, if you stop using the built-in amplifier of the sound card, it is no longer very good value for the money, and you may sell it and get the Schiit instead (which is probably still not bad) simply to save money. Alternatively, you could replace the STX with another, cheaper sound card that has no headphone amplifier, but still a good DAC (e.g. used X-Fi Titanium HD, or Xonar D1 or DX), and then combine that with an external amplifier. Sound cards tend to have good DACs, but the headphone amplification is lacking more often than not, and is never really great. Instead of the Magni, you may also consider the O2; not that the Schiit is necessarily bad, but the O2 has been tested extensively and is known to perform well with almost any headphone. The Schiit has the advantage of cost and aesthetics/better layout of connectors, though.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
The Schiit Modi is (judging from their own specifications) in fact more of a downgrade from the DAC of the Xonar Essence STX, and the ODAC is not an improvement either. You only really need a DAC "upgrade" if you have interference or ground loop problems. However, if you stop using the built-in amplifier of the sound card, it is no longer very good value for the money, and you may sell it and get the Schiit instead (which is probably still not bad) simply to save money. Alternatively, you could replace the STX with another, cheaper sound card that has no headphone amplifier, but still a good DAC (e.g. used X-Fi Titanium HD, or Xonar D1 or DX), and then combine that with an external amplifier. Sound cards tend to have good DACs, but the headphone amplification is lacking more often than not, and is never really great. Instead of the Magni, you may also consider the O2; not that the Schiit is necessarily bad, but the O2 has been tested extensively and is known to perform well with almost any headphone. The Schiit has the advantage of cost and aesthetics/better layout of connectors, though.

I wish all answers were like that!! Thanks.

I will price things up and see what suits me from what youve suggested.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
I wish all answers were like that!! Thanks.
I will price things up and see what suits me from what you've suggested.

Currently the best price for a new Essence STX is $185, so I'm guessing you could clear maybe $140 (after shipping) for selling your Essence STX.

The Xonar DX & D1 sound cards have the same audio processor as the Essence STX, the C-Media CMI8788.
The Xonar DX/D1 are currently selling used for around $67.
With the Xonar DX/D1 (7.1 headphone surround sound), you would be covered for movies and gaming.
With the Modi, you would only have 2-channel audio for movies and gaming..
Yes, I know your doing the "improvements" for music, but just wanted you to know your options.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 16
After playing around this weekend with HE400/HE500/Magnum V4/HD598, from an Essence ST & Modi+Magni, my impressions are that the Essence for most of the cans is a better/fuller sounding DAC to my ears, but the Magni is preferable to the built in amp, this is more then likely due to the power on tap I'd assume. Oddly the Magnums sounded best with the schiit stack, while both of the hifimans sounded best with Essence as DAC, Magni as amp. The HD598 sounded the worst on the Schiit stack to my ears, it really seemed to be bass shy through the Modi.Though not related to the question at hand, the hifimans sounded best with Essence as DAC &  Emotiva Mini X as amp to my ears at least.  Just my $.02.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 16
Yes, ST/STX has aquired a larger than life reputation for it's headphone-out, mostly because soundcards in general have terrible hp-out. In the real world ST/STX:s largest value is as a DAC using it's RCA line outputs to power an external headphone amplifier of better quality. The hp-amplifier on ST/STX doesn't sound particlarly good imho it just makes it possible to play loud ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back