Upgrade for my JVC RX700
Feb 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

crazylemon

New Head-Fier
I bought the AD700 (they were cheap) like a month ago but the rx700 still sounded a lot better. The AD700 sounded very airy and had an excellent soundstage, but I mostly listen to rock and techno music. - these two things don't synergize for me very well. I missed the bass of the rx700 and the way they just sound more big and full. Are there any ~$200 headphones that have a similar sound signature to the rx700, and are a worthy upgrade?
On that note, how would some of you describe the sound signature of the rx700?

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 11
I know what you're going through. Even though some of the folks here will probably crucify me, I realized I still liked my RX700 after I left my first one in China due to buying a Sennheiser HD595. A few months later, I bought another RX700 (but heavily modified) and I still have it. It's my go-to electronica headphone and that's not about to change anytime soon. If you get a chance, throw some RX900 pads and the RX900 headband on the RX700 (like I did), recable it, use some Dynamat and do the felt removal. It's about as close as you'll get to a Denon D2000 before you shell out a couple hundred dollars or more.

The RX700 sound is what I would deem "satisfying." The lack of bass impact with open back headphones makes me cry. It just doesn't convey the same type of emotion that the RX700 does.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 11
Oh man do I know what you are going through! I eventually settled with my PX200-II for the better soundstage and portability, but I haven't heard anything under 100 explicitly, so I decided to go with IEMs. Sorry I can't really help, but good luck!

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 11
I have the RX900 and did the mod for them. Sounds great EQ'd and AMPed but sort of flat unamped. I'm wondering if that is the case for all headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

The amp I use is a rockhopper Mini3 bought from a Head-fi user who lived close by.

Now, I'm selling my RX900 for an upgrade as well so I am in the same boat as you.

I've been looking at:

ATH-M50
ATH-A900
Denon AHD1000/1

etc.

I just need that airy feel in an insolated can. Is it really that hard to do?!?!?

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeloxlong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just need that airy feel in an insolated can. Is it really that hard to do?!?!?

Yes it is, seemingly. I have yet to listen to a closed can that I would describe as airy.

If it's any help, I've heard the RX700 vs. an A900 and the A900 sounds less colored, more precise with a drier midrange and better highs. Regardless of that, however, they have a similar house sound. To me, that would be the logical step up from a RX 700/900.

Nylan

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 11
I would describe the sound signature of the RX700 as a more refined Denon D2000 with less boom. They're one of the best unamped headphones I've owned so bettering them without spending a lot more is no easy task. You didn't mentioned your source or amp which if you don't own would seem the next logical upgrade. If/once you have an amp take a look at Ultrasone Pro/HFI-780 for detail and depth, perhaps DT990 or SA5000/AD2000 if you can stretch a little further.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 11
@RallyMaster I've replaced the earpads and removed the felt already, gonna do the Dynamat as soon as I can get my hands on some
smily_headphones1.gif
How do your DX3 in your sig compare to the RX700?

I'm thinking of getting a Nuforce uDAC as a dac/amp (currently running out of laptop), but it seems silly to buy audio gear that costs me more than my headphones. I know there's talk about what headphones go with what amp, so do the rx700 respond well to amping?

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 11
hmm, stuffing looks promising. Just gotta find foam now. Nice lil project for tomorrow. I'm sure I can find some foam at work
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW - I respectfully beg to differ as far as amping is concerned. My HA900s sound just fuller vs. just using plain ole laptop sound card. My music is mainly MP3 and I can now appreciate high bitrate vs. low crap mp3 files. Yes, it mainly makes it louder but approximating the volume level amped vs. unamped, to my ears, it seems that amped made my music seem like cutting into a nice juicy t-bone from a steak house vs. eating a t-bone from Denny's (unmped)

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazylemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@RallyMaster I've replaced the earpads and removed the felt already, gonna do the Dynamat as soon as I can get my hands on some
smily_headphones1.gif
How do your DX3 in your sig compare to the RX700?

I'm thinking of getting a Nuforce uDAC as a dac/amp (currently running out of laptop), but it seems silly to buy audio gear that costs me more than my headphones. I know there's talk about what headphones go with what amp, so do the rx700 respond well to amping?

The DX3 is an entirely different beast compared to the RX700. It needs amping otherwise it sounds terribly sloppy. The RX700 has much better bass impact out of the box while the DX3 almost sounds open (but it isn't). The DX3 is somewhere between my RX700 and HD595 in terms sound signature. The bass is there and it extends pretty far but it's pretty analytical and has almost Grado-like treble and mids. On the other hand, the RX700 is just...an enjoyable headphone. That's pretty much sums it up for me.

I've heard the Denon D2000 in person and personally I was not overly impressed. It really did remind me a lot of the RX700 with more intricate exterior.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Sorry for bumping this thread but I have exactly the same question as the OP. Seeing as there doesn't seems to be definite answer... no I mean I need more input for "cans which is better RX700" under $200 or in reasonable price (i.e. no DX700 or DX1000).

I recently bought a (used) ATH-AD900 and still prefer my RX700 to it. Make no mistake, AD900 is a very nice set of cans, acoustic and female vocal sounds fantastic on it but I always feel that something is missing and it hurt my ears with all those sparkling treble...

I'm in dilemma here, I might as well order a pair of RX700 and RX900 and do that crazy driver mod to both. :/

I also heard good things about Kenwood K1000 (similar to RX700, just fun to listen HP) too but it's kinda over my budget and is hard to get here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back