Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Nov 5, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #1,397 of 1,469

Quote:

Yes HDtracks, well it's been a while.
I have paid by paypal and probably let the country at default US... so maybe that's the trick !

Well, unfortunately I have no PayPal account.
Also I would think that if you had a PayPal account they would verify your address against your VISA card or bank account ... so you can't use a fake address.

My solution to this problem is a friend who lives in Florida :)

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #1,398 of 1,469
Will the HM-801 drop in price ever? If it were $700, I would jump on it immediately. I wonder if Fang will lower the price during Christmas or black friday.

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #1,399 of 1,469
xabu,
If you are interested, you can send me money for the total amount of HD track albums that you want to buy, and a 32 GB SDHC Class 4 or a 16 GB USB flash drive and I will download the tracks for you and send you either media to your country.

DJGeorgeT, the whole reason for the 602 was for people who wanted to have a higher end player but didn't want to spend $799.
I doubt the price is going to drop due to the fact that Fang is still creating different amp boards for the 801 which will make it stay current.
I would like to see a balanced amp with a balanced Neutrik for the HE5LE's or 6's or 4's. 
Perhaps you can find one one the FS forums. In our world, you can always find someone who is not happy about something 
smile.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #1,400 of 1,469
I am afraid you are right. However, based on the reviews and some of the comments by owners of HM-602, I felt that the player was not an econo version of the HM-801 and based on descriptions only, I determined that it was not for me. On the other hand the HM-801 seems to be it. I love extended highs and a good bass. I think I am going to hope the HM-801 comes down in price during the holidays.

Quote:

DJGeorgeT, the whole reason for the 602 was for people who wanted to have a higher end player but didn't want to spend $799.
I doubt the price is going to drop due to the fact that Fang is still creating different amp boards for the 801 which will make it stay current.
I would like to see a balanced amp with a balanced Neutrik for the HE5LE's or 6's or 4's. 
Perhaps you can find one one the FS forums. In our world, you can always find someone who is not happy about something 
smile.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #1,401 of 1,469
     Quote:
I am afraid you are right. However, based on the reviews and some of the comments by owners of HM-602, I felt that the player was not an econo version of the HM-801 and based on descriptions only, I determined that it was not for me. On the other hand the HM-801 seems to be it. I love extended highs and a good bass. I think I am going to hope the HM-801 comes down in price during the holidays.

Well, I think it is common knowledge that the HM-801 has no extended highs ...

Quote:
xabu,
If you are interested, you can send me money for the total amount of HD track albums that you want to buy, and a 32 GB SDHC Class 4 or a 16 GB USB flash drive and I will download the tracks for you and send you either media to your country.

That's very nice of you!
But it sounds complicated and time consuming doing all this snail mail stuff involving exchange of physical things
wink_face.gif

I have a 32 Mbit flat connection, so no problem for a gigabyte download.

And, well, there is still this friend of mine I mentioned
regular_smile .gif

Thanx a lot though for your nice offer again!

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #1,403 of 1,469

Quote:
LOL, I read that it had! Thanks for letting me know...(scratches off HM-801 from list)

Well, perhaps you miss something nevertheless ... especially in the configuration mentioned in my [size=11pt]signature [/size]it sounds incredible good (to me) (... listening to "Gli Incogniti I Amandine Beyer , Vivaldi Les quatre saisons" right now ...)

Or try David Bowie "1.Outside" ... never heard such deep (though precise and clear) scull vibrating bass over headphones before and the rest is superb too ... for a closed portable headphone a mind-blowing spatial acoustics ... but on the other hand perhaps I'm only getting carried away because of the nice music 
k701smile.gif
)

And different people have different ears.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #1,404 of 1,469

Quote:
     Quote:

Well, I think it is common knowledge that the HM-801 has no extended highs ...

That's very nice of you!
But it sounds complicated and time consuming doing all this snail mail stuff involving exchange of physical things
wink_face.gif

I have a 32 Mbit flat connection, so no problem for a gigabyte download.

And, well, there is still this friend of mine I mentioned
regular_smile%20.gif

Thanx a lot though for your nice offer again!

I own the HM801 and it has excellent highs, it is not good to repeat things others may have written without first listening to the gear. Remember: If it sounds good but tests bad you tested the wrong thing! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
LOL, I read that it had! Thanks for letting me know...(scratches off HM-801 from list)

You should listen to the unit first before scratching it of your list. Not all that is written is true or applicable, besides not all of us listen the same way. What may be good for me may not be good for you and vice-versa. In other words, each of us needs to make the call after testing the unit. Cheers.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #1,405 of 1,469
I have to agree with Miguel. Listen for yourself. There is a 30 day refund period so nothing to lose. I opted for the 602 as I wanted something portable. As much as I am enjoying the 602, the 801 is that much better. I'm sitting in a Starbucks right now with my 602 and JH 13's and this is some of the best portable audio I've heard.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #1,406 of 1,469
Well, mrarroyo, I own the 801 too
k701smile.gif
... and as I already wrote in my last post ... it sounds great great great GREAT ... but they definetely have no EXTENDED highs, not in the specs and not in reality.

If you want to know if it is good for you, you HAVE to test it
beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #1,408 of 1,469
Actually I am back in the look out for the HM-801. Do you know if the DAC from batch #1 and #2 is different from the current production run? And what is the impact on the sound?

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #1,409 of 1,469

Quote:
Are you using something other than the T50P with the 801? I heard them at RMAF and was not impressed. The highs were plenty extended with the JH 13.

Besides my very old in-ears and the DT 880 Pro (with the original amp) no.

Regarding the highs ... I'm talking about the Hifiman and not about the ability of headphones.

Regarding the T 50 P ... it all depends on the right fit ... if that fails it's just a tin cup.
It's almost the same as with some in-ears which sound really good only if you plug them in a special direction in your ears until they fit completely and almost seal your ears.

Actually the pads should be customizable
wink_face.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #1,410 of 1,469
I haven't heard the 880's in a while but not sure judging a portable device with headphones meant to be driven with a full size amplifier is a good idea.  I'm not sure how you judge the 602 other than through the headphones you are using unless you are comparing it to another portable device using the same headphones.  Not trying to be argumentative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back