Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Nov 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #1,411 of 1,469

Quote:
I haven't heard the 880's in a while but not sure judging a portable device with headphones meant to be driven with a full size amplifier is a good idea.  I'm not sure how you judge the 602 other than through the headphones you are using unless you are comparing it to another portable device using the same headphones.  Not trying to be argumentative.

Well, I have no 602, so I can't judge it.

Just try the DT 880 Pro with the HM-801 and the original amp card ... it has plenty of power to drive it ...

But I don't know where we are now and what it was you exactly wanted to state regarding the HM-801?

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,413 of 1,469

Quote:
I meant the 801. There are a lot of portable amps that can drive full size speakers. I just don't think they do it as well as a full size amp.

Possible ... or probable ...

If I plug the Hifiman in my Magnat MC-1 and plug the DT 880 into the Magnat ... I have your scenario ... it's only the DAC of the Hifiman then and it sounds even better than with the build-in amp.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #1,414 of 1,469
So you are saying that the headphone amplifier of your $1400 integrated is better than the headphone amplifier of the Hifiman.  Again, I wonder if the same would be true about the amplifier comparison if you were using a good IEM, instead of the 880's.  I don't know the answer but I'm not sure there is much to conclude from your comparison using full size headphones, which was my point from the beginning.  Maybe the 801 is not for you due to the headphones you are using.  I've only used it with my JH13's and I was pretty impressed with the sq.  

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #1,415 of 1,469

Quote:
So you are saying that the headphone amplifier of your $1400 integrated is better than the headphone amplifier of the Hifiman.  Again, I wonder if the same would be true about the amplifier comparison if you were using a good IEM, instead of the 880's.  I don't know the answer but I'm not sure there is much to conclude from your comparison using full size headphones, which was my point from the beginning.  Maybe the 801 is not for you due to the headphones you are using.  I've only used it with my JH13's and I was pretty impressed with the sq.  

Ah, well, I think there might be a misunderstanding from the beginning ...
I'm totally content with the HM-801, it sounds great.
It's exactly what I wanted, and I found and bought it before I found this website.

And I'm glad it sounds the way it does and not like e.g. the Sansa Clip.
The only thing I wanted to state is, that the Hifiman has no EXTENDED highs.
But I already sad so ...
And I think, even Nankai would agree with this.

And for that matter I don't miss any highs!

I won't discuss the Magnat here ... have a  look around, it has very good critics for it's class.

Regarding T 50 P and TMA-1 have I look at my new findings (no fullsize headphones involved this time ... I hope the 32 ohm TMA counts though ...):

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479768/beyer-t50p-beyerdynamic-announces-the-t50p-portable-tesla-headphones/735#post_7043155

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479768/beyer-t50p-beyerdynamic-announces-the-t50p-portable-tesla-headphones/735#post_7044443

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #1,416 of 1,469

Quote:

The only thing I wanted to state is, that the Hifiman has no EXTENDED highs.
But I alrea ...

Yes you stated that earlier, and again it is your opinion one which I disagree with! But opinions are like belly buttons! 
biggrin.gif
 We all have one.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #1,417 of 1,469

Quote:
Yes you stated that earlier, and again it is your opinion one which I disagree with! But opinions are like belly buttons! 
biggrin.gif
 We all have one.

That's for sure
beerchug.gif

So, o.k., your opinion is, the HM-801 has extended highs.
I'm just interested if it's also your opinion, that e.g. the Sansa Clip has less extended highs than the HM-801.

Nov 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #1,420 of 1,469

Quote:
Quote:
Because I plan to buy a Hifiman 801,before Christmas,I ask where can I find 24/96 files to put in,(I can not find anything here in Greece),because it would be silly,to buy a super duper machine,and feed it with,say, 128Kbpss.
Googling 24/96,I found this site,https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php ,which,says,that sells such files.
Is there any feedback  for  this site please? 
Theodore.

Unfortunately they don't sell to non US residents yet.

I bought two albums from them (digital download)

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #1,422 of 1,469
Nov 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #1,424 of 1,469
Dec 1, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #1,425 of 1,469

Does anyone else notice that the lettering is comming off?

I'm  really tending this piece with the utmost care.

But now that it started I could easily scratch off all of it with my fingernails ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back