Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Jun 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #1,381 of 1,469

Quote:
LOL
Although it does give you an idea about the size of the thing. I did hold a Clip (not Plus) in my hand for a while.
What about tag browsing? Some folks say that if you select 'ARTIST' all the songs would be mixed up. No good. I got the entire Pink Floyd in lossless and I don't want the songs to be all mixed up when I select 'Pink Floyd'.

Yeah, it puts them all together, instead of separate albums.  Should add that to the Bug list.  I really want Gapless playback fixed first, though.

-Ed

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #1,382 of 1,469
Gone dash it.
Most important ones: Gapless; that mixed-up browsing (I want either folder browsing or iPod-ish tag browsing); some sort of a charge indicator.

EDIT: It does have folder browsing, eh? So I can go SD Card > Music > Nightwish > Dark Passion Play > Eva.flac right? The songs in folders should be in order?

EDIT II: That 'Artist' problem, is it still there as of v0.19 firmware? Sorry for repeatedly asking questions, I'm about to buy one and I would like to clear some things up first.
To update the firmware, connect the HM-801 without the SD card, put the IMG file on the unit, shut the unit off, pull the cable, reboot, and it automatically updates. Is that right? Some folks say you have to delete everything on the unit before putting the IMG in?

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #1,384 of 1,469

Quote:
EDIT: It does have folder browsing, eh? So I can go SD Card > Music > Nightwish > Dark Passion Play > Eva.flac right? The songs in folders should be in order?

You will probably need to have the track number to get it in order - '06 Eva.flac'

EDIT II: That 'Artist' problem, is it still there as of v0.19 firmware? Sorry for repeatedly asking questions, I'm about to buy one and I would like to clear some things up first.

Yes, still there

To update the firmware, connect the HM-801 without the SD card, put the IMG file on the unit, shut the unit off, pull the cable, reboot, and it automatically updates. Is that right?

Correct

Some folks say you have to delete everything on the unit before putting the IMG in?

No, you don't have to

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #1,386 of 1,469
Thanks yellow Beetle and Adehall, I realized that I can use dBpoweramp's dynamic naming when I convert all those ALACs back to FLACs.
Also, in the debug thread, a couple of folks reported that 1) they have to play a 16/44 before being able to play a 24/96, and 2) some 24/96 plays for a few seconds and the entire unit locks up. But that seems to be v0.15?

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #1,387 of 1,469

Quote:

Also, in the debug thread, a couple of folks reported that 1) they have to play a 16/44 before being able to play a 24/96, and 2) some 24/96 plays for a few seconds and the entire unit locks up. But that seems to be v0.15?

Update to latest firmware, If it still happens, be sure to contact for an RMA I it's usually a hardware problem.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #1,390 of 1,469
Because I plan to buy a Hifiman 801,before Christmas,I ask where can I find 24/96 files to put in,(I can not find anything here in Greece),because it would be silly,to buy a super duper machine,and feed it with,say, 128Kbpss.
Googling 24/96,I found this site,https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php ,which,says,that sells such files.
Is there any feedback  for  this site please? 
Theodore.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #1,391 of 1,469

Quote:
Because I plan to buy a Hifiman 801,before Christmas,I ask where can I find 24/96 files to put in,(I can not find anything here in Greece),because it would be silly,to buy a super duper machine,and feed it with,say, 128Kbpss.
Googling 24/96,I found this site,https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php ,which,says,that sells such files.
Is there any feedback  for  this site please? 
Theodore.

Unfortunately they don't sell to non US residents yet.

But why not rip your CDs lossless as FLAC or WAV?

Regarding 24/96 etc., quality does not depend solely on this data. It's more important whether it is a copy of the original master, which could also be a 24/44,1.
The quality of the master may also be different, depending on the recording...

You can get high res studio master files here:

http://www.linnrecords.com/

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #1,392 of 1,469
Thank you very much.
Theodore.
P.S. I saw that their files,were 24/88.2,instead of 24/96.
Can Hifiman,play those 88.2 files?

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #1,394 of 1,469

Quote:

Unfortunately they don't sell to non US residents yet.

Are you sure ?
I bought several tracks from them
smily_headphones1.gif

I concur that playing 16/44.1 lossless files is already a VERY good start.
I bought 24/96 files of some albums I already own in 16/44, and I find out that the quality difference (when there is) is due to remastering, not resolution.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #1,395 of 1,469

Quote:
Are you sure ?
I bought several tracks from them
smily_headphones1.gif

I concur that playing 16/44.1 lossless files is already a VERY good start.
I bought 24/96 files of some albums I already own in 16/44, and I find out that the quality difference (when there is) is due to remastering, not resolution.

Interesting  (...we're talking about "hdtracks.com", correct? ...).
For when you are about to enter your address in the check out process it is stated that they do not sell to Non US residents (below the "Country" input field which is preset with "United States"
"For the time being, HDtracks only sells to U.S. Residents"
Would be glad if there where a way though.
How did you do it ? Did you pay by Visa or PayPal ?
What address did you enter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back