Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #1,351 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by abeautifulife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x 2. When I went for a short trip overseas, I had to use my trusty imod instead because transporting this giant heavy adaptor defeats any portability the all-in-one unit offers.

i use my SE W950i walkman phone as DAP source while running and go to gym, thats how i compromise with portability while i can still accept the music quality. by the way, your imod aint cheap at all (and still remarkable player)~ so u r still very lucky and i m sure you must have already make up your mind when upgrade to 801 from imod while you mention keywords portability and all-in-one unit right ?
popcorn.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #1,352 of 1,469
Aye, I'm blessed indeed to be able to afford both an imod and the HF 801. Yes, soundwise I have no regrets doing the upgrade but I definitely did not know about or expect the amazingly large adapter. My plans to carry the HR801 on trips went pretty much out the window... oh what the hey... maybe I'll still do it one of these days...

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #1,353 of 1,469
Yes, we DO need a portable charger ... I don't care if it takes all night to charge the batteries, we should be able to buy it from head-direct or any other source ... edit: yes charging via usb is out, what was I thinking
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #1,357 of 1,469
Mine is 220 V as well (France, 220/230 V).

I am sure that you can contact Fang and ask him to sell you a 220 V charger.

By the way you may want to consider to buy a second battery. I have have the chance to receive my Hifiman with two batteries (as a compensation for the very large waiting time - I was 1st batch but receive it during 2nd batch) : with two batteries you can have a ~14 hours battery life in a very portable way. Very nice.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #1,358 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by abeautifulife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aye, I'm blessed indeed to be able to afford both an imod and the HF 801. Yes, soundwise I have no regrets doing the upgrade but I definitely did not know about or expect the amazingly large adapter. My plans to carry the HR801 on trips went pretty much out the window... oh what the hey... maybe I'll still do it one of these days...

you wanna know whats funny? i actually bring 801 to the gym twice before give up lol (and i give up only because i dont wanna crash it over weights
wink.gif
, my gym session usually go for 3 hours and i remember i ride the bike in 1st row with my hifiman on holder, i bet every one must be scratching their head.......

i also done holding 801 out for a run, at least once for sure(no way more than once as i just not sure if i did it over brisbane river side as well? )

it was pretty funny and i do felt handicapped by the weight and size lol but well, you gotta try it few times before you give up right ?? lol

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #1,359 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, we DO need a portable charger ... I don't care if it takes all night to charge the batteries, we should be able to buy it from head-direct or any other source ... edit: yes charging via usb is out, what was I thinking
wink.gif

it does brought up the issue as 801 is pretty much useless with out the charger if you go for a long trip and the battery dry out.

i dont say this is bad as any electronic product goes the same such as mobile phone etc.

may be we could have a lighter portable charger which doesnt aim as desktop DAC power supply but just for charging purpose and let the battery do the job to warrant stable power source may be ? i mean i get it that the bulky charger is for warrant of providing stable power source when 801 act as desktop DAC unit..... but what if i just want to charge it up only ?

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #1,360 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by corsario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is 220 V as well (France, 220/230 V).

I am sure that you can contact Fang and ask him to sell you a 220 V charger.

By the way you may want to consider to buy a second battery. I have have the chance to receive my Hifiman with two batteries (as a compensation for the very large waiting time - I was 1st batch but receive it during 2nd batch) : with two batteries you can have a ~14 hours battery life in a very portable way. Very nice.

Ah, that's the one I'm after. France is my usual international destination.

Thanks!

- Ed

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #1,361 of 1,469
The charger is big because the battery itself is two 9V 1 Amp cells in one casing (1 positive, 1 negative),
and the battery's termination has 2 separate charging circuits, hence the need for the plastic plug in the
middle so you can't reverse polarities. The op amps in the HiFiMAN draw a lot of power.

I'm not sure you would be able to get away with a smaller charger that charges more slowly, unless it could be a trickle charger.

2 fully charged batteries is the way to go.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #1,362 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The charger is big because the battery itself is two 9V 1 Amp cells in one casing (1 positive, 1 negative),
and the battery's termination has 2 separate charging circuits, hence the need for the plastic plug in the
middle so you can't reverse polarities. The op amps in the HiFiMAN draw a lot of power.

I'm not sure you would be able to get away with a smaller charger that charges more slowly, unless it could be a trickle charger.

2 fully charged batteries is the way to go.

I do understand that this unit has a 1000mAH lipo and the original power unit act as a power supply and a charger. I don't see why we have to charge the lipo at 1C. I don't mine having a charger only unit that charges the lipo in the unit at less than 1C. Even a computer power supply size/weight charger is still manageable. Extra battery might be the way for me for now but it is still not a good solution. I thought of bringing it with me to my 1 week cruise before the unit arrive. After knowing how heavy the charger is I have decided to let it sit at home.

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #1,363 of 1,469
A brief update from me: I've been pretty pleased with the HM-801. After Nankia cleared up the chip issue, I used a program called ReNamer to modify my files to all start with track number, then I used DriveSort to correctly order the files on my flash card. My tracks all play in proper order now, so I'm pretty pleased.

I'm still trying to decide between getting the GAME card or building my own portable "amp" to use with the HM-801. The gain is simply too much with my JH-13's, and I have to listen a bit louder than I normally would to get no channel imbalance.

My only complaints left are issues with the firmware. I'd really, really like to see gapless, and I'd like a shuffle all option on the main menu that plays everything on the player in random order.

That aside, I'm very happy with the player and have to congratulate the makers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back