Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Feb 16, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #1,186 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As in I thought they fixed this as people were asking about it awhile ago. I have absolutely no interest in converting most of my music library over into FLAC. So this is pretty much a no-go. I have literally tens of thousands of songs in ALAC and it would be both a size, organization, and time nightmare. I was debating whether to replace my Imod with this and this pretty much ended that debate.

As previously posted, you don't have to convert your music collection. Simply copy the music you want to the sd card and then batch convert to FLAC. The FLAC files are now only on the SD card, your original ALAC files on your computer are untouched. It's only one extra step, in my case drag and drop all the .m4a files to my converter (Max) and voila it happily chugs away in the background converting/replacing

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #1,187 of 1,469
Quote:

As in I thought they fixed this as people were asking about it awhile ago. I have absolutely no interest in converting most of my music library over into FLAC. So this is pretty much a no-go. I have literally tens of thousands of songs in ALAC and it would be both a size, organization, and time nightmare. I was debating whether to replace my Imod with this and this pretty much ended that debate.

Imod dac is nowhere near this level of quality. I've had Imod, flac vs 256kbps mp3 was no difference. May as well save yourself tons of space and just do that.

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #1,188 of 1,469
I agree.
The sound quality of the 801 is a giant leap from the iMod (have them both).
If you have 320 mp3's then use them instead.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #1,189 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree.
The sound quality of the 801 is a giant leap from the iMod (have them both).
If you have 320 mp3's then use them instead.

I have them both as well and I'm not so sure it is that black and white. We all know the idea of the iMod is to pair it with a quality amp so the variables are mind boggling. I've had outstanding results with the RSA Shadow, P-51 Mustang and SR-71A Black Bird. Even better if the Portable V-Cap Dock is used. Portable? Bye bye portability.

In defense of the HM801, you get great sound and "all in one" portability. Also, it is alot less expensive than an iMod/amp unless, like me, you intend to own every new amp section that is released for the HM801.
smily_headphones1.gif
For the most part, I use mostly iems so I am chomping at the bit for the new HM801 amp to be released.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #1,190 of 1,469
I also have them both and agree that the 801 is a giant leap from imod. If both are used with an amp (the SR71 in my case) the 801 is substantially better. The headphone out on the 801 also sounds better than than imod/amp in every respect except maximum volume and bass impact. That aside, the bass on the 801 is exemplary and is the best I have heard from any portable in tunefulness and detail, unlike the fat lumpy low woofing that passes for bass on ipods and other portables. I was initially sceptical of the 801, despite its clunky UI, larger size and unattractive appearance, it is one of the most stunning pieces of hi fi I have heard.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #1,191 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have them both and agree that the 801 is a giant leap from imod. If both are used with an amp (the SR71 in my case) the 801 is substantially better. The headphone out on the 801 also sounds better than than imod/amp in every respect except maximum volume and bass impact. That aside, the bass on the 801 is exemplary and is the best I have heard from any portable in tunefulness and detail, unlike the fat lumpy low woofing that passes for bass on ipods and other portables. I was initially sceptical of the 801, despite its clunky UI, larger size and unattractive appearance, it is one of the most stunning pieces of hi fi I have heard.

x2

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #1,192 of 1,469
I already have the V-Cap. The amp I have is the P-51 and I'm going to get the Protector so the amplifier on the HM-801 is pretty much useless to me. Just out of pure curiousity, what is the battery life on this?

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #1,194 of 1,469
Quote:

I already have the V-Cap. The amp I have is the P-51 and I'm going to get the Protector so the amplifier on the HM-801 is pretty much useless to me. Just out of pure curiousity, what is the battery life on this?

I would love to hear the Imod -> VCap -> amp vs 801 -> same amp. As a all in one solution, 801 is probably the best

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #1,195 of 1,469
will they ever make a sdxc reading model? that fear of it getting integrated later makes me want to wait and stick to my imod/pico for now.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #1,197 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will they ever make a sdxc reading model? that fear of it getting integrated later makes me want to wait and stick to my imod/pico for now.

It could be a matter of when. Unless the SQ is upgraded as well, probably not all existing customers will get the upgrade.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #1,198 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the 801 more
wink.gif

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back