Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Nov 20, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #826 of 1,469
I'm very much looking forward to receiving my HiFiMan801 (anyone know why its called the 801?)

I'm in batch #2

Could someone give a few suggestions as far as synergy with different headphones? (I think immtbiker did but I can't find for the life of me)

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #827 of 1,469
The HD800 and the HE-5 struggle with the 801. It's not magic,

The R-10's, HP-2's, ESW9/10's, UE-10 and JH-13's are headphones that I personally can vouch for at this gregarious time in my life

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #828 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I
That, and the fact that he is honest and sincere, should hopefully, make him successful. I genuinely wish him all of the luck in the world and wish more distributors/manufacturers had Fang's business credo.

This is it to a T. He's honest, sincere and trustworthy. He also makes great products and strives to improve on them. It is a testament to his character but also to the passion he has for the hobby.

Four incredible products I've been introduced to demonstrate this:

HM-801
R252
EF1 and of course the HE5

I now have the EF5 on hand and can't wait to give it a try tomorrow night. Dollar for dollar it is incredible the ratio of price to performance one achieves.

I am really pleased not just with Head-direct but with all these new companies pushing to bring our special little niche of audiophilia wonderful products we actually want, instead of ones big companies think we need.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #829 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800 and the HE-5 struggle with the 801. It's not magic,

The R-10's, HP-2's, ESW9/10's, UE-10 and JH-13's are headphones that I personally can vouch for at this gregarious time in my life

Yikes, Its obvious you are one well heeled son of a gun. I only own one of the above listed headphones. Any ideas on a good match for real world listeners on a budget for example? Think synergy and budget.
Much appreciated !

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #830 of 1,469
Have anyone Um3X?what about synergy with Hifiman?thanx
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #831 of 1,469
Great, the 801 has come! Though I can't try it right now(not back home yet), I'm very much delighted. Just wish that all the batch1 and batch2 buyers can get it before X'mas.

Thanks Fang!

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #832 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great, the 801 has come! Though I can't try it right now(not back home yet), I'm very much delighted. Just wish that all the batch1 and batch2 buyers can get it before X'mas.

Thanks Fang!

Great
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #833 of 1,469
I ordered back in June and finally DHL delivered my HM801 today!

Attached are a few pictures to give you an idea of what you get. The box is really nice although hardly portable! The player itself is on the left side in an anti-static bag with transparent film over the screen. The charger is on the right under the velour travel pouch together with a USB cable, RCA socket to 3.5mm adapter and a small crosshead screwdriver.

There's enough charge in the battery to switch it on but I'm going to give it a full charge before listening.

Graham

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #836 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would probably be tempted to try the hifi man if they had a "dac only" version (ie you need to provide your own amplifier). It'd probably be smaller/lighter/cheaper too
wink.gif

How would you use it as a DAP without an amplifier?

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #838 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered back in June and finally DHL delivered my HM801 today!

Attached are a few pictures to give you an idea of what you get. The box is really nice although hardly portable! The player itself is on the left side in an anti-static bag with transparent film over the screen. The charger is on the right under the velour travel pouch together with a USB cable, RCA socket to 3.5mm adapter and a small crosshead screwdriver.

There's enough charge in the battery to switch it on but I'm going to give it a full charge before listening.

Graham

The new box is really nice. I received one of those cheaper Sennheiser type corrugated cardboard boxes with a magnet lock that you see on ladies' pocketbooks. I can post pics if anyone is inerested. Your box is a noticeable improvement. Early adaptrer-itis! Enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes, Its obvious you are one well heeled son of a gun. I only own one of the above listed headphones. Any ideas on a good match for real world listeners on a budget for example? Think synergy and budget.
Much appreciated !

I would say that the IEM's or the ESW-10's would offer you great synergy to start out with, when using the HiFiMan, without getting into too much money. Of course the EF-5's /HE-s combo would be a great starter package the one could live with, without the need for an upgrade in the foreseeable future. I am listening to a borrowed Graham SleeSolo and the HE-5's and the Graham likes to play, nice, nice together without any bickering. That's a $1K alternative,
The Graham Slee puts together it's meat and potatoes without needing other side dishes to make a complete plate.

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #839 of 1,469
If one is going with the HM-801, then a great pairing would be Yuin G1A for a nice on the go sound. I'm listening to a Gene Ammons track remastered by Steve Hoffman and the space is really incredible. I really get a sense of the room with this small combo.

For something even better, going IEM's, customs for instance one can bypass quite a bit of expense because they are so efficient. If one wants fullsized, then the EF1/HE5 is an excellent combo. I'll be trying the EF5 tonight and I figure since it is tailored for the HE5, it will be an ever better combo than the EF1.

Nov 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #840 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If one wants fullsized, then the EF1/HE5 is an excellent combo. I'll be trying the EF5 tonight and I figure since it is tailored for the HE5, it will be an ever better combo than the EF1.

The EF1/HE5 combo is lackluster at best. With magnets, load isn't the only thing that effects sound. Fang told me that he specially chose the workings of the EF-5, purely to make beautiful music together, and, right now, is the purpose the for the EF-5 to be on this earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back