Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Sep 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #421 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverxu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is this discussion going so complicated? As to my understanding, the HM801 was designed to use non-UK chip and UK is just a bonus for those who ordered earlier. What's unfair about that?

You can believe what you want obviously. No one would ever admit that because people "stepped out in faith" and ordered the product, and then did not receive anything or even get to read PART 2 of the review the deal needed a bit of sweetening. WHY? so people did not cancel their orders, thats why. . I've been around the audio business long enough to know this. Lets face it, people have been waiting a long long time. If they weren't fed some real juicy stuff to remain hooked people would have cancelled. Most people who order early get a price reduction and thats it. You've been compensated for "hanging in there depite setbacks". Those of us who have only recently ordered will have to pay a 50 dollar penalty. So, enough gloating and try to be honest with yourself.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #422 of 1,469
Guys and gals, might I remind you that this is a MOT Sponsored "paid for" Pre-order thread!

These type of threads are paid for by a manufacturer to advertise their products, and provide a place for people to ask questions, gain information and express interest in the possibility of a purchase.

If anyone has any issues or feels that injustices are being done, please start another thread.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #423 of 1,469
Although I don't post much, I've followed both this thread and the one in the Portable Audio section since they started.

Woody - your last post has prompted me to be "honest with myself", and I want to share those reasons for other readers who may be recent to this topic, and have only read the last few pages of both threads (and I think that may be yourself??).

From the very, very beginning, it was announced that the retail price for this new & untried product was to be in excess of $700. Early adopters were offered a price of $600, and then the price would revert to its normal RRP. My earlier post in this thread reflected what every single one of us had to grapple with:

(1) Buy now and get the discount, or
(2) Wait for the release and the reviews, and then decide if it was worth $700.

I admit that I am normally "Mr Conservative" and in most cases I would normally adopt Option 2 ..... but I wanted to avoid "regret" and have adopted Option 1. (I am still only assuming that I am getting the UK chip, as I didn't order till the beginning of August - 10 weeks after the first order.)

It was your last comment regarding the "$50 penalty" that you and others are now being subjected to that rubbed me up the wrong way. Head-Direct always claimed that the price would revert to its RRP after the pre-order period. So you (and others who may may order soon) are in fact getting a "$50 discount"!!!! I want any new readers to this thread to be quite clear on that.

In summary:
(1) First adopters - $600 (period over.)
(2) Early adopters - $650 (period still open!!!)
(3) Later adopters - $700 (this will include fence-sitters and "Mr Conservative" types, of which I normally am).

Cheers
pauls

PS Those who are familiar with the thread for which the second part of the review has not appeared, are well aware that Jude had serious family issues at the time. We have not heard much from Jude recently and I feel that things may not have eventuated as he hoped - my thoughts go out to him.)

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #424 of 1,469
Good to see another old timer chime in.

Back on topic.

Fang, have you gotten extra batteries in yet? How much are they going to cost? It would be nice to be able to order extra accessories like batteries, so that they can ship with our preorders to avoid an extra shipping cost later on.

-Ed

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #425 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Back on topic.

Fang, have you gotten extra batteries in yet? How much are they going to cost? It would be nice to be able to order extra accessories like batteries, so that they can ship with our preorders to avoid an extra shipping cost later on.

-Ed

good idea, save the extra shipping cost! i 2nd that

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #426 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Back on topic.

-Ed

It'd be nice to know the cost of ordering an extra charger as well.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #428 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselrocket /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fang,

Any thoughts on how the stock amp module will perform with hard to drive full-sized cans such as HD600 or K701?

Not hard at all when driving my HD580 and K240df.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 3, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #430 of 1,469
Great. Can we order extra accessories before the shipment and how?

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #431 of 1,469
Time to slow count.

1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi...

Yee-hah!
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #432 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselrocket /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fang,

Any thoughts on how the stock amp module will perform with hard to drive full-sized cans such as HD600 or K701?

Any chance of it driving the Senn HD650? (300 Ohm)

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #433 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will provide tracking number for the first 8 to 10 customers in the next three or four days.

It's almost time to upgrade to an appreciation thread!

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #434 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's almost time to upgrade to an appreciation thread!

Yep! I'm looking forward to my player arriving! Which reminds me, I really need to go out and get a SDHC card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back