Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
May 17, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #76 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by emelius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why on earth wasn't the pcm1704u-k used?!??...same chip but with tighter specs...Cary, Wadia and a few others changed their 1704-based models to 1704u-k many moons ago...

i hope it wasn't due to cost, given the $600...availability issues?...

(this is me asking if i can order a custom model
tongue_smile.gif
) -- interesting product...

Any response to this? Would it be possible for someone to calculate a rough cost of raw materials for the 801, is it close to $600?

Otherwise I like what I hear about the player so far, 32gb is fine: let's be honest most of us sit in front of our computers each and every day, it's easy to swap music around. Especially with the battery life, we'll need to come home to charge it anyway.

Oh also, another question, can this be charged via USB? That would make life much easier

May 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #77 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any response to this? Would it be possible for someone to calculate a rough cost of raw materials for the 801, is it close to $600?

If apple could let people calculate raw materials for iphone, we will let you know this.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Oh also, another question, can this be charged via USB? That would make life much easier

No. USB power voltage is about 5v. The battery that HiFiMAN using is 14.8v.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 17, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #80 of 1,469
HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 17, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #81 of 1,469
Nankai;5689311 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_thatguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oops. Even apple let people calculate raw materials for iphone, we still can not let you know this.
frown.gif

I don't mind if the cost of the raw materials cannot be disclosed. But I would really like to know a few things:

1. Does the USD 600 price includes global shipment?
2. Can you tell me what is the UI of an ancient IPod? What I concern is if it contains playlists.

Thanks.

May 17, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #82 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. Does the USD 600 price includes global shipment?

Global shipping cost 20usd.

Quote:

2. Can you tell me what is the UI of an ancient IPod? What I concern is if it contains playlists. Thanks.

ancient ipod means ipod gen 1,2,3.

Please define the playlists in your mind. I hope to do a simple playlist
1. Most Played
2. Recently Played
3. Recently Added

May 17, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #83 of 1,469
I have tested the time length between two wav tracks: track 5 and 6 of Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl [SOUNDTRACK] .I tried to use a stop watch to record how long the time will be, but before I finish the first touch, the track has been changed from 5 to 6. The time is shorter than my reaction time, and the average reaction time of human being is about 0.2 second. Maybe this mp3 player does surpport gapless but nobody told me this.

May 17, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #84 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say that EQ is harmful to sound quality? Perhaps it might have been in the analog world, but here in the digital realm, it doesn't make a bit of difference. EQ may not be wanted by some listeners (I don't really use it, myself), but to say that implementing it is harmful to sound quality is wrong at best. In the digital realm, it is either on or off.

I can not agree to you. There will be a long tutorial about why hifi fan don't like EQ, but I don't want to present it here. This player is not for non-hifi fan.

Quote:

scaling down the processor when the power is not needed

: Yes we are doing this.

Quote:

turning off components when they are not needed

Yes we are doing this too.

Quote:

improving codec efficiency so that the codecs require less power to run

No we will never do this. This means worse sound quality. Hifiman Codec circuit is as complicated as any hifi CD players. Heat from filters and buffers will make the whole unit warm after playing for 20 to 30 min.

Quote:

minimizing storage accesses

If my understanding is not wrong, this option is for harddrive type player.

Quote:

improving the core of the firmware in general

Would you please explain more about this?

May 17, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #85 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Global shipping cost 20usd.

ancient ipod means ipod gen 1,2,3.

Please define the playlists in your mind. I hope to do a simple playlist
1. Most Played
2. Recently Played
3. Recently Added

My first contact with IPod is the 4G and I have no idea the interface of the <4G IPod.

I mean that I can define my own playlist. Let me elaborate a little bit:
I enjoy listening to musical very much but most of the musicals that I love to listen are stored in more than 1 disc. In IPod I define a playlist ,say Phantom, and group the files I want under the playlist. Then I can play all of the files of the musical by choosing the playlist. Then I can avoid the trouble of swapping albums.

Hope that my example has illustrated clearly the functions of the playlsit that I'm looking for.

Thanks.

May 17, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #86 of 1,469
Quote:

My first contact with IPod is the 4G and I have no idea the interface of the <4G IPod.

I mean that I can define my own playlist. Let me elaborate a little bit:
I enjoy listening to musical very much but most of the musicals that I love to listen are stored in more than 1 disc. In IPod I define a playlist ,say Phantom, and group the files I want under the playlist. Then I can play all of the files of the musical by choosing the playlist. Then I can avoid the trouble of swapping albums.

Hope that my example has illustrated clearly the functions of the playlsit that I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Thanks for your detail explaination. I will tell the software engineer about your advice. You might be talking about the "my top rated" option in ipod UI. I don't know how to use this option in ipod. Do you have to select your favorite song in itune at your computer?

May 17, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #87 of 1,469
Quote:

Thanks for your detail definition. You might be talking about the "my top rated" option in ipod UI. I don't know how to use this option in ipod. Do you have to select your favorite song in itune at your computer?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Becasuse English is not my first language, I will use point form to clarify my ideas. Hope that you won't mind.

1. One can't put songs in the "my top rated" playlist (or I don't know how to do it in a direct manner). However, one can rate a song in ITunes by assigning the number of stars for a particular song. The songs that received 5-star rating will appear on the "my top rated" playlist.

2. I think the playlist "my top rated" existed by default in the IPod. But what I need is the ability to define additional playlists. Let's see if the following example may illustrate my needs clearer. Consider I've saved the sound tracks of "the phantom of the opera" and "Miss Saigon" in a SD. I want that I can create two playlists, one called "The Phantom of the Opera" and the other "Miss Saigon" and put the corresponding songs under the corresponding playlists. These playlists should be stored in the SD as well. Then the HifiMan lets me choose the a playlist stored in the SD and play the songs that belong to the playlist.

3. Can you define the regions that is under the scope of the global shipment (and hence should pay the 20USD)? I'm not being picky but I just realized that for some companies (say iBasso), shipment to HK is free. Hence I wonder if I may be lucky enough to save the 20 USD.

May 17, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #88 of 1,469
Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Becasuse English is not my first language, I will use point form to clarify my ideas. Hope that you won't mind.

1. One can't put songs in the "my top rated" playlist (or I don't know how to do it in a direct manner). However, one can rate a song in ITunes by assigning the number of stars for a particular song. The songs that received 5-star rating will appear on the "my top rated" playlist.

2. I think the playlist "my top rated" existed by default in the IPod. But what I need is the ability to define additional playlists. Let's see if the following example may illustrate my needs clearer. Consider I've saved the sound tracks of "the phantom of the opera" and "Miss Saigon" in a SD. I want that I can create two playlists, one called "The Phantom of the Opera" and the other "Miss Saigon" and put the corresponding songs under the corresponding playlists. These playlists should be stored in the SD as well. Then the HifiMan lets me choose the a playlist stored in the SD and play the songs that belong to the playlist.

3. Can you define the regions that is under the scope of the global shipment (and hence should pay the 20USD)? I'm not being picky but I just realized that for some companies (say iBasso), shipment to HK is free. Hence I wonder if I may be lucky enough to save the 20 USD.

I am thinking of making such a playlist
1. My favorite
2. Most played
3. Recently Played
4. Recently Added

I am not sure if the function of selecting a song and mark it as favorite is appliable or not. If not, you can put all of you favorite songs into a folder. I think play music from a folder should be fine.

If you are in HongKong, Taiwan, Macao or China mainland, we will be happy to refund you $15 shipping cost after you placed your order.

May 17, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #89 of 1,469
Quote:

Not likely as the manufacturer and reseller must need to make some profit even though I'm sure there wont be much profit for them in doing this product regardless of it being designed and produced in China, I simply think the market for this type of product is too small to get much economy of scales.

As for playlists this is something that you normally setup on the pc before transferring to the dap and then trasfer them together with the songs allowing you to specify a playorder of selected songs regardless of what directory they may be stored in. Some dap's also allow you to build these playlists directly on the unit.

May 17, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #90 of 1,469
Quote:

I am thinking of making such a playlist
1. My favorite
2. Most played
3. Recently Played
4. Recently Added

I am not sure if the function of selecting a song and mark it as favorite is appliable or not. If not, you can put all of you favorite songs into a folder. I think play music from a folder should be fine.

If you are in HongKong, Taiwan, Macao or China mainland, we will be happy to refund you $15 shipping cost after you placed your order.

To be able to play the songs from a folder is great! Thanks. This works like the foobar then.

If you can create playlists like foobar as well, it would be even greater because there are songs that belongs to more than one categories but should not be placed in more than one folder to save SD spaces. Eg I'd like to compare the same song sung by different singers. Then songs from singer 1 will be in folder 1 and the songs from singer 2 will be in folder 2. But putting the common song in another folder will eat up the precious space.

Yeap, I'm in HK and look forward to this product.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back