Updated Burned in Sennheiser PC350
Jun 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

iiTipZ

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I read a lot of review in regards to the Sennheiser PC350 but most reviews are out of the box reviews. I knew from the start when I bought these that I would have a lot of work as far as burning them in. I did about 200 to 300 hours of burning, combination of rock n roll, techno, house, classical, white noise, ambient, and hip hop songs. I own the Sennheiser HD595 and the ATH-AD700 and I love them but I need a solid mic to use for my XBOX360  so I got the PC350. I must say They are almost as good as my 595 and ad700 with the extra bonus of a crystal clear, durable mic.

I was wonder of anyone that reviewed the PC350 if you guys have any update now that more hours have been put in.

My set up for these is BenQ LED, XBOX 360 hooked to the Astro mixamp via optical. Then hooked up to the FiiO E5 and then hooked up to my PC350. For me I did not have to mod I get crytal clear soundtage and good bass due to the help of the FiiO E5 bassboost.

Please let me know if you guys have any update Thank you in advance

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 22
^^bump

No feedback guys? Thank you in advance

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 22
PC350 is just a HD4X5 headphone with a mic attached and different housing.

I've heard my friend's one, it sucked pretty bad. Sound was so boxed in and felt like it was covered in mud and sandpaper. I know it was burnt in for a very long time as I talk with him on skype a lot, it has definitely got 400+ hours on it. But then again I've had that experience with the HD595 as well, except it wasn't as boxed in and less grainy sandpaper.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 22
I've had mine for two years now, with something like 3000 hours so far, and without a doubt these have been worth every penny. Honestly, I don't have a feel for what the high end sets are like over the long term, or what kind of improvements I'd see by pushing these phones with an amp, but I think it would be a hard sell to convince me there's anything ten times better (because you can certainly pay that much). I did do a mild hero mod, limiting myself to one small hole in each, but the results were significant. Even if you have an amp for them, I'd suggest investing a few minutes to mod yours.

Other than burning in (which didn't take too long), these phones haven't changed in the slightest since I got them - despite how rough I am with them. Dropping them, running the cable over with my chair, and taking them to work and back every day has really proven the excellent build quality. I got the model with the mic on it mostly because I played WoW (way too much), but for now the mic is in the up position. That's nearly indestructible, too.

Really the only thing I'd like to change is the cup material. It's not that they are too hot for me or that they seal too tightly - the plastic just gets kinda greasy feeling after a while. I know you can order cloth pads that are supposed to be for other Senns and they'll fit right on, but since replacement pads cost half as much as ordering headphones they come on, I couldn't justify it.

Senn PC350s are great. And now with the PC360 out, they should be cheap, too.

Edit: The guy above me - Boxed in is simply what you get with closed headphones, so I am not sure what you were expecting there. As for the graininess, you must've had a bad audio source. While these aren't the top of the market, they certainly aren't Walmart cans. Sennheiser doesn't sell grainy.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 22
Closed equals boxed in? Ultrasone would like to have a word with you.
I know what closed cans should sound like. I was expecting a better soundstage than the iems I have. Not bigger, better, although it failed in both. There was some sort of reverb happening. It sounded like the sound was trapped in and had nowhere to go, the highs were very muffled and there was no detail at all. It felt like listening to a 128 kbps mp3 that went down a slide covered by sandpaper. As for the source, my friend's one was better than mine at the time. There's nothing to say for it other than I was severely disappointed, but what was I expecting from a gaming headset made by sennheiser anyway...

Now that their prices have dropped, I might get one an put it to the drill and knife, for a mic that can play audio, but for that money I might as well buy a full microphone.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 22
Thank you for the reply. Like i said I love my PC350. See this is the thing the PC350 is a power hunger can. When I hook it up to my home theater system (Onkyo TX-NR708) it sounds like jesus is singing. Same goes as to my AD700 and my Sen 595. My Astro Mixamp was just not powering up my cans the way they they need to be powered. Right now I have my Astro Mixamp hooked to my FiiO E5 and the sound is much fuller. I actually just got the FiiO E7 and see is the sound changes.

I wrote this targeting audiophiles that uses audiophile headphones/headsets. For gaming I love my PC350 Good sound and the communication is the best out of all headsets I have owned. AD700 and the 595 are nice BUT i hate having voice chat in TV mode it's just not clear.

I will update when I get my FiiO E7. I am sure you guys feel the same way as me audiophile cans are as good as the amp they are hooked up to.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 22
I've had mine for a year, at least 10 hours of usage a day by me and mostly my brother. They certainly need a lot of burn in to sound good, but compared to my friend's HD555 they are not that good at all even after burn-in and modding them. I don't enjoy their sound at all. Then again, i don't have them hooked to anything special, just an X-fi Xtremegamer. i tried using them with the E5 but there was barely any difference.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
How do you have your mic hooked up with the Mixamp and the AD700s?

I have hooked through a Y adaptor. Set up is like this - Xbox360 - Astro Mixamp (using Y adapter) headphone jack goes to the E3 and my headphone to the E3. The Mic part of the Y adapter is hooked up to my Zalaman clip on mic. The sound I am getting through my AD700 and Sens 595 is great but for me I needed a fixed mic. First using a headphone (AD700 and 595) I need to have a stand alone mic. Second, I need to have the chat voice on "Play through speakers" (which is NOT very clear" competitive gaming you need a clear line of communication") LAST, any stand alone mic I get i have some major issues either they are TOO sensitive, NOT sensitive, NO mute function.. reason I have this issue is because I have two crazy dogs lol. MY PC350 meets my depends and more. PC350 mic is just so "crisp" and it does not pic up background noise.

Quote:
I've had mine for a year, at least 10 hours of usage a day by me and mostly my brother. They certainly need a lot of burn in to sound good, but compared to my friend's HD555 they are not that good at all even after burn-in and modding them. I don't enjoy their sound at all. Then again, i don't have them hooked to anything special, just an X-fi Xtremegamer. i tried using them with the E5 but there was barely any difference.

X-fi Xtremegamer is a good sound card...the problem with the PC350 is it needs good amount of burn in and  A LOT of power. For me I am using my Astro MixAmp and E5 (soon to have the E7- i think i am getting it this Thursday.) Do me a favore man plug it in to your sourround sound system (if you have one) tell me how it sounds.

Thanks guys.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
I have hooked through a Y adaptor. Set up is like this - Xbox360 - Astro Mixamp (using Y adapter) headphone jack goes to the E3 and my headphone to the E3. The Mic part of the Y adapter is hooked up to my Zalaman clip on mic. The sound I am getting through my AD700 and Sens 595 is great but for me I needed a fixed mic. First using a headphone (AD700 and 595) I need to have a stand alone mic. Second, I need to have the chat voice on "Play through speakers" (which is NOT very clear" competitive gaming you need a clear line of communication") LAST, any stand alone mic I get i have some major issues either they are TOO sensitive, NOT sensitive, NO mute function.. reason I have this issue is because I have two crazy dogs lol. MY PC350 meets my depends and more. PC350 mic is just so "crisp" and it does not pic up background noise.

X-fi Xtremegamer is a good sound card...the problem with the PC350 is it needs good amount of burn in and  A LOT of power. For me I am using my Astro MixAmp and E5 (soon to have the E7- i think i am getting it this Thursday.) Do me a favore man plug it in to your sourround sound system (if you have one) tell me how it sounds.

Thanks guys.

I dont quite understand what you mean by chat voice on "play through speakers". Do you mean you are communication through the television? I apologize for my ignorance but Im not sure what you are referring to. Have you thought about possibly doing a mic mod? 

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
I dont quite understand what you mean by chat voice on "play through speakers". Do you mean you are communication through the television? I apologize for my ignorance but I'm not sure what you are referring to. Have you thought about possibly doing a mic mod? 

In regards to hearing your teammates through Xbox live you have the option to project voice chat through A. Play through Headset B. Play Through Speakers C. Play Through Both. since you have a standalone mic the voice chat needs to be Played through speakers if not you will not be able to hear anything. THIS IS USING THROUGH XBL. In regards to the mod, I own a lot of high end equipment when it comes to home theater and audio and I don't have the necessary skills to mod. I do see a lot of mods online BUT I am pretty happy on my I got the way they are.

Do you use audiophile cans for Xbox live gaming? if yes please tell me what your set up is. Thanks man.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:

In regards to hearing your teammates through Xbox live you have the option to project voice chat through A. Play through Headset B. Play Through Speakers C. Play Through Both. since you have a standalone mic the voice chat needs to be Played through speakers if not you will not be able to hear anything. THIS IS USING THROUGH XBL. In regards to the mod, I own a lot of high end equipment when it comes to home theater and audio and I don't have the necessary skills to mod. I do see a lot of mods online BUT I am pretty happy on my I got the way they are.

Do you use audiophile cans for Xbox live gaming? if yes please tell me what your set up is. Thanks man.

I dont really use what is considered "audiophile" cans for XBL (im currently using the Turtle Beach HPA2 and Mix Amp), but Im considering upgrading to perhaps something else in which I would need a separate mic mod.

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:

I dont really use what is considered "audiophile" cans for XBL (im currently using the Turtle Beach HPA2 and Mix Amp), but Im considering upgrading to perhaps something else in which I would need a separate mic mod.

I do own the TB HPA2 a(i gave it to my lil bro) lso it's a good can BUT the sound stage is too narrow. Compare to the AD700, PC350 and the Sen595.

If you are considering a. audiophile can make sure you will like hearing through the speaker settings.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 22
Well, i got to say this about the headphones- when pressing my hands on the earcups they sound a lot better, but it's not very practical.
Although i must admit... I hooked them up to my home stereo system's receiver with my hands pressed against the earcups (also after a couple of beers)... and the sound was very enjoyful.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:

I was using the HPX through the MixAmp too.  I loved them for awhile... but then I tried a friends K702... well, I sold the HPX and now have the K702 as well.  Problem is.. .they are harder to drive... so you'll need to amp the output (I use either the E5 or my LD I+ to amp them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back