Update on my dad
Mar 3, 2006 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
This is a follow up to the original thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164016

After several delays Johns Hopkins hospital was able to perform surgury on my dad today, March 2nd to try and remove a cancerous tumor that had taken over his kidney. Unfortunently when they went in today they found that it had spread to his liver (there also appears to be some in his lungs, leg and ribs) and they would be unable to completely remove it because the procedure would cause him to be at great risk for his life. He's been given an estimate of 8 months to live. Apparently the cancer had been there for about 16 years however no one knew about it despite his going to the doctors regularly. He's so young too, only 50. I just can't believe we didn't even know about it two weeks ago, and now he has a time limit on his life. It's so tough
frown.gif
Anyway I appreciate all the prayers and support, I know we'll be needing them in the time ahead.

This thread might seem superfluous to some, but Headfi has become like a family to me and it makes me feel better to post things like this. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 44
HiGHFLYiN9, thank you so much for giving us an update on your father. I'm sadden to hear that the doctors have found out that the cancer is worse than they original thought. My thoughts and prayers to you, your family and father will continue and I sincerely hope that the pain he is going through will be lighten a bit by the presence of you and your family. This is an incredibly tough time for you and your family and I wish you all the best.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 44
I will pray for your dad today during my nightly prayers. I hope your dad makes progress, it must be really awful for you and your family to have to deal with it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him!

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 44
I'm so sorry to hear that. I really hope things get better for you and your family.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 44
Thanks for the update, and very sorry to hear the bad news... I'm pushing 42 myself (smoked cigarettes for most of my life), so stuff like this hits home. Hard.

Hope you and your dad have lots of wonderful time together... we're all mortal and it's just a matter of time for all of us.

P.S. is it worse now that you know, or is there any relief in the knowing?

Best wishes...

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 44
I'm really, really sorry about your dad, and I hope that all of you can stay strong during this time. You're all in my thoughts...

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
P.S. is it worse now that you know, or is there any relief in the knowing?

I just found out a couple hours ago, so it's only just soaking in. It'll probably be a while before I can really get a grasp on it. I think it's definently worse now to know, we had a lot of hope that things would come out on top.

My mom saw my dad cut open with all the tubes running into him this morning and she said he looked like he was in a lot of pain. When she described it to me I could tell it really upset her. Imagining him going through it causes me to tear up too. He's a very gentle and loving guy, it's sad this had to happen to him.

He's going to be in the Cardiac Surgical Intensive Care Unit tomorrow so we'll be going to see him there. We'll only be able to see him for a few minutes as they are very strict about visiting while a patient is in the unit (Only 2 family members are allowed in at any given time, the initial visit may only be 5 minutes and the secondary visit may only be for 15 minutes).

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
My mom saw my dad cut open with all the tubes running into him this morning and she said he looked like he was in a lot of pain. When she described it to me I could tell it really upset her. Imagining him going through it causes me to tear up too. He's a very gentle and loving guy, it's sad this had to happen to him.

Sorry, man... here's hoping your dad gets well enough that you two can spend lots of quality time together and do some things you've both always wanted to do. Quality is more important than quantity. Hang in there and my kindest wishes to the both of you.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 44
Sorry to hear that man ... but stay strong for him and your family. I hope everything turns out for the better.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 44
Oh God, I can't even imagine what you are going through right now. I wish you and your family the best. Remain strong, no matter how much time you have left with your dad you have to make it count.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back