UPDATE! CAPACITY RAISE! - SF meet Saturday Nov. 7th - We have a venue and date! It's really happening! CAPACITY RAISE!! WE CAN TAKE 20 MORE PEOPLE!
Oct 31, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #257 of 329
I'm going to try to make it, and am more than happy to pay the entrance fee.

Although, I would be a leech more than anything, as all I currently own is a 10 year old pair of HD 600s, and have sold off old gear a long while back.  Now that I'm settled in a new work office, I'm looking to listen to all this good stuff and buy myself a few Christmas presents next month.

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #258 of 329
I don't have an ETHER, but I do have a DAC-19. We can try out the DAC-19 and LC combo that @Stillhart
 has been raving about!

Perfect. We can put it side by side with my vega! I have primes so it'll be close to ether. :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #259 of 329

Although, I would be a leech more than anything, as all I currently own is a 10 year old pair of HD 600s, and have sold off old gear a long while back.  Now that I'm settled in a new work office, I'm looking to listen to all this good stuff and buy myself a few Christmas presents next month.

Awesome! I don't think there is an entrance fee, so just bring yourself!

Perfect. We can put it side by side with my vega! I have primes so it'll be close to ether. :)

Awesome, I'm looking forward to that. I also have a Bifrost Multibit, if anyone is looking to do comparisons. I'm pumped to finally get to hear my TH900 running balanced off an LC and DAC-19...that's pretty much what I've been waiting for the past few months to do =)

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #260 of 329
Oh OK.  Well I would be glad to chip in.

Anyhow, I'm very interested in a Multifrost/DAC-19 side-by-side listen.  BTW, I noticed the PCM1704 has been end-of-lifed by TI.  So I wonder what the next rev of the DAC-19 will contain.

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #261 of 329
Want to express my appreciation for the time and effort you guys have put in to making this meet happen. Your enthusiasm and dedication are what makes this forum a community.

I've been attending NorCal meets for over eight years. Always have a blast. Unfortunately I won't be able to make this one.

I'll be there for the next one though, and is my tradition, will be bringing a previously unseen DIY tube amp.

Have a great time!

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #262 of 329
  Oh OK.  Well I would be glad to chip in.

Anyhow, I'm very interested in a Multifrost/DAC-19 side-by-side listen.  BTW, I noticed the PCM1704 has been end-of-lifed by TI.  So I wonder what the next rev of the DAC-19 will contain.

That happened in 2010 or 2012 IIRC.  They're still selling em and they still have a stack of chips handy so it should be available for a while yet...

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #263 of 329
  Oh, and Dr Alex Cavalli is sending up a Liquid Carbon!  Now... does anyone have ETHERs?

That's awesome!

And on a side note, I also have an amp that I think sounds pretty similar to the Liquid Carbon: the CKKIII. Carbon is more convenient with a more reasonable footprint, and also balanced input/output, but the CKKIII is also damn good as an amp. It's not mine, though, so I have to ask for permission from the owner to see if I can bring it up, but if I get permission, it'll be a very interesting comparison indeed.

I have a modded HD600.

I'd say... don't underestimate the HD600. Even considering I have an HD800, I still find the HD600 to get uncomfortably close to the level of the HD800 sometimes.

Awesome! I don't think there is an entrance fee, so just bring yourself!
Awesome, I'm looking forward to that. I also have a Bifrost Multibit, if anyone is looking to do comparisons. I'm pumped to finally get to hear my TH900 running balanced off an LC and DAC-19...that's pretty much what I've been waiting for the past few months to do =)

Cool. Then I have a secret weapon for you: I have a modified Schiit Wyrd as well. It has speshul secret sauce!

I planned to use it as a trump card to say my Gungnir Multibit sounds better than the DAC-19, but you can always borrow it. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #265 of 329
@ljm558, nope, it's a free entrance. Actually we originally considered paying for an event space then charging a fee at the door, but decided it's better for the community to find a free space - promote participation in the hobby. This Schiit is about more than money!
smily_headphones1.gif
 Also no problem if you don't have gear. We all get started somewhere, and attending a hi-fi audio meet is a fantastic way to jump-start your interest in this hobby, not to mention the innovative DIY masterminds we have coming.

@Stillhart, wow you're on here - the one who started the while DAC-19 vs. Gumby debate. I wonder if we can try some of your other goodies if you get the chance to come?

Also, Dr. Cavalli speficially wants the attendees to know that the exterior of Liquid Carbon amp he's sending is the prototype version - internals are standard, but outer design was just a non-standard part of the R&D process.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #269 of 329
Ok, I would just like to confirm that I am coming, but will not be bringing any gear with me.  Also I will be bringing a plus one if you don't mind.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back