UPDATE! CAPACITY RAISE! - SF meet Saturday Nov. 7th - We have a venue and date! It's really happening! CAPACITY RAISE!! WE CAN TAKE 20 MORE PEOPLE!
Sep 21, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #16 of 329
I would love to come to this meet, but I need the date to become set in stone first.  I honestly don't know what I will be bringing as I have a bunch of things I am building right now.  If I do attend the only things that I will definitely be bringing are HE-1000 and Beta-22 not sure about the rest yet.  

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #17 of 329
I'd love to attend. My birthday is in early November, so I'll need a specific date to work around, but been lurking this place for some time and would love to meet some of you guys and share some gear.

Could bring my Creative X7 and E5, Sony UDA-1, SMSL M6, K7XX

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 329
I would also like to attend. I can bring a Audio Technica AD2000 (balanced), Denon D2000, KEF M500, Cayin C5, Fiio X3 2nd Gen, EMU 0404 USB, Little Dot MK1, and a Go-Vibe V6.

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #21 of 329
Please put me on the list. I will try to go.

I can bring a Gustard X12 DAC via Wyrd, with Project Ember tube amp and custom tube, with HD 650 headphones - that is, IF there's any interest. I brought this awesome rig to my booth at the SF meet and barely anyone stopped by... maybe they were judging by its' looks.

Here is a list of some of the gear I would die for if anyone can bring these:

Audio-GD DAC-19
Gungnir Multibit DAC
Gustard X20 DAC
Glenn amps
Felix Audio amps
Audeze LCD-4
Audeze LCD X
Beyerdynamic DT 1770
Hifiman Edition X and Edition S
Orpheus 1 or 2 (just to try anyway) 
gs1000.gif

PS - @Bill-P you owe me one for not telling about this meet, LOL 
wink_face.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #22 of 329
^^^ Depending on date and location, I'll try and make it.  I'll bring my DAC-19 if I do make it.  I might want to bum an amp, as I don't think I want to bring my HA-1 along - actually, maybe I will, as it will go up for sale when the Cavalli liquid carbon arrives, or at least near then, and my Oppo PM-1's.  They've become my #1 phones as I sold the Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes.  I'm saving up for a pair of Ether or Ether C's.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 329
Well, a meeting time and place is still being sought for this meet. Bill-P and myself are talking about booking a possible meeting room or San Jose community room space, but awaiting the thread starter's reply out of courtesy. The idea's being thrown around that maybe the 1st or 2nd week of November is better, so there's more time to spread the word about this meet, etc.

In the meantime, does anybody else in the general Bay Area know of a place we can hold the venue? Maybe your office or parents' business, or some other community room? Perhaps space for 20-40 people and tables, outlets. I think the sooner we can get this thing reserved, there more likely that we will have a greater variety of gear, being that a date/location has been set allowing people to plan in advance.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 329
The situation with my potential space is not great. Renovations which were supposed to have finished two weeks ago are still dragging on. No furniture. So I think we should not count on it being available for a meet in the near future. Alex (@dusk) mentioned to me in an email that he had another lead, so maybe we'll find something after all. Please stay tuned.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #27 of 329
This sounds very interesting indeed. I'll try to see if my school will let me use the gym or cafeteria for this. Both are on the larger side and will most certainly be able to host the 20 people. I'll post by Friday whether or not they'll let me. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #29 of 329
Heck yeah, the R70x would be awesome to try! It's a new product this year so hopefully someone will have it so we can A/B it to the HD 650; both being very similar in design/price.

So anyway folks, I would like to restate the value of attending a hi-fi audio meet. First, it's all about the money savings! And how could you actually save money by being tempted with all these fancy gadgets, you may ask? Simple: because once you've gotten to try a larger array of gear, you will be able to narrow down your spendings. So instead of just binge buying things you read about on heresay, you buy it based on hearsay.
beyersmile.png
 (I just made up a word but you get when I mean - buy if after you hear it rather than just hearing about it). Because let's face it, we only may like a few of the headphones/amps etc. that we try, so it's really invaluable to try it first! Next, the insider info. is invaluable too, changing your audiophile path with new concepts for modding, brand names, cables, theories, etc. and I'll tell you my knowledge level would be nowhere near where it is now without having been to meets. Lastly is about the friends you can meet. It's my impression that many Head-Fi'ers share common interests that go deeper than just audio gear.

This thread is really gaining traction with unique members and gear. It's too good to miss, so I hope we can work together to make a place for the event happen!

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #30 of 329
@Fidelity King Thanks very much for your offer to ask your school or other place to host this event for us. And in the meantime I would like to humbly ask if anybody else is also looking into helping to find a space, please keep looking too just in case, if you would please.

So, let's pass around a few suggestions on "how to explain a Head-Fi meet to a non-audiophile". At times I've been faced with a task of explaining this to an outsider, and to be honest I've passed this up on multiple occasions for fear of looking odd. Because I mean, if you were to say to an outsider "I spent all day sitting down with my Internet buddies listening to headphones", you may get some reaction relating to wasting time, pointless activity, all headphones sound the same, etc., etc., (I could only imagine!)

On the other hand here are some ways to explain it: 
"I went to a trade show to demo some of the latest hi-fi audio gear and meet with some industry insiders / respected people in the hobby"  or
"I have realised that I have a good ear for fidelity, and have joined an audiophile forum where we can all sit down and try each other's gear / exchange ideas"

So for any of you wanting to explain to somebody whey they should let you use their space for this event, now you can have a starting point for how you can explain it to them - you can also add that the audiophile-grade headphones makes up only about 10% of the market, and there is currently a very innovative / competitive and wide array of products, and if we can use your space, then we will get the very rare chance to try these products - possibly saving us money and keeping the hobby alive in the bay area! And let them check out this website too.

However on a side note about the venue: keep in mind that most members will be bringing their own amp and/or DAC so we would need a place that has plenty of electrical outlets nearby the tables. Thanks for reading! Any input on how to explain this sort of a thing to an outsider would be appreciated, as well as any efforts of asking through the grapevine to find us a space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back