UPCOMING Little Dot DAC
Oct 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #406 of 411
Hi!

I have a LittleDot MK IV SE, and wanted to match it with a LittleDot DAC. At the moment I am trying to figure out wether to go for the DAC 1 or 2.
Right now I have Beyers DT990, 880 and 770, all 600 Ohm, and the possibility to use two sets at once seems nice, though I realize the DAC II won't be sufficent for a pair of 600 Ohm Beyers.
As I've got other low imp/high sens cans person #2 (not me!) could use, I just wondered if anyone knows if this thing cuts the preout if a headphone is connected.
Meaning I would actually only have the possibility to listen to one pair of headphones at once. It that's so, I won't even bother with the DAC II.
I believe I read something like that, but not sure if I am confusing it with another amp/dac combo.

Thanks in advance for any superfast feedback on this. I'm on the edge of my seat, ready to order here :)

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #407 of 411
Hi,

Has anyone from the UK bought a Little Dot Dac?

I'm wondering how much Import Duty and Taxes came to??  Also, which courier service delivered the parcel and was there any extra surcharges added like handling/processing fee?

Much appreciated.

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #409 of 411

Quote:
Hi,

Has anyone from the UK bought a Little Dot Dac?

I'm wondering how much Import Duty and Taxes came to??  Also, which courier service delivered the parcel and was there any extra surcharges added like handling/processing fee?

Much appreciated.

I'm not from the UK, but Sweden (EU) and we have 25% VAT which I did not have to pay as David was kind enough to mark the package as "Gift" and he valued it low. DHL called me yesterday and then they arrived 5 minutes later at my home. This was for a Little dot amp though, but I don't think you should have much trouble with taxes.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #411 of 411
Hello,

Sorry for digging out the old thread.
I have read a lot here from back then.
And even though the Dac is quite old, I still bought it after reading everything.

One should not curse and underestimate old technology too much.
It still offers good and solid results despite the many new things that the new dac's on the market bring with them.
I deliberately did without Dsd and the rest.
For the source no Pc is needed, but the Ipad, or the Android-based work tablet as a playback device.
And there the maximum output is mainly limited to 16/44 anyway, also from the technical side of the Dac.

I like this chip simply because it is relaxed and also authentic as well as musical.
It's often a question of implementation, as always.

There was also the question of the comparison between the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic100, yes I can answer this I have both in my possession.
With modifications from a German who modded the Cambridge a bit.

I haven't had the Little dot for too long but I have noticed significant differences that make it special straight away.

It's a real shame that Little Dot haven't updated their products, especially the old ones, after all this time, especially the USB port.
They really could have installed a better one and offered a general update to keep the product range fresh.
Because 16/44 is simply the end of the line via USB.
Unlike the Cambridge, which occasionally outputs at 16/96 if Tidal allows it. And of course higher if possible.
So the point goes to Cambridge.
But the Little dot is supposed to be able to go to its limits via coax, as I have read here from some postings, but I have not tested it yet (I would have to test it later in combination with the Singxer Su 2).
Because it is difficult to go over coax via the tablet.
The only possibility would be a Singxer F1, which could possibly contribute to the sound.

But in terms of sound, the two are still different from each other.

The Cambridge is simply a small box to forget in comparison.
The Little dot Dac is a board to cut, and you need a bit of space for it.

Power connection the Cambridge is a Class D and equipped with a 12 v 2 A power supply.
Little Dot Class A.
So the point goes to Little Dot.
Why?
The Cambridge has a lousy power supply that is cheap as standard.
A surcharge of a ifi new generation power supply costs 100€,even a Psu I found.Which is rare,everything else then exceeds the price to 250€.
But it still remains Class D.
I have also noticed slight interference and often have the feeling that it plays randomly, sometimes well, sometimes worse.
It also seems to me that it is a bit quieter and needs more volume control.
Rca cables with metal plugs are absolute poison, I've found, and unfortunately they tend to produce interference.
It is therefore a bit more sensitive.

I don't have any of that at all with the Little Dot.
I have noticed this over time with the Cambridge, without wishing to disparage it, although I have had it for 2 years and have listened to it again and again.

I haven't found anything negative about the Little Dot so far, except that the menu navigation is confusing at first, but that's okay once you get used to it.
From the outside, the workmanship is quite solid and good everything is firm and in its place.The Rca sockets I don't like so much there the Rca cable goes in a little too loosely for my taste.
Otherwise, the rest of the sockets are very good.

The sound of both is different.
The Cambridge is altogether softer in its performance.
I also have the impression that it is somewhat restrained.
Unfortunately not as intimate as the Little dot dac.
I find the stage sound more distant, which conveys a bit of a discreet music performance.
Bass, midrange and treble are all more in line with the norm.
Nothing out of the ordinary.
In retrospect I noticed how thin the Cambridge is in comparison.
Nothing sounds juicy, meaty or really powerful.
Rather a bit powerless and tired.

With the Little Dot Dac it's the opposite, it reaches deeper into the stage and conveys more intimacy and atmosphere.
It's soft but in a different way, more solid.
I like the stage presentation better, it is closer to the instruments and the singer and gives a much more accurate presentational ensemble of the scenery and the instruments.
The music also flows more smoothly from the wrist than with the Cambridge.
The bass, midrange and treble are almost the same as the Little dot, a little firmer and more placed, and nothing dances out of place as the Cambridge sometimes unconsciously conveys when you listen to it.
But that could also be due to the two different filter settings you can choose from.
Personally, I like the Slow setting better because it allows the treble ranges to decay longer and come across smoother.You also benefit in the mid-range, for example, when the guitar riffs are played, they last longer.

All in all, the Little Dot plays more groovy and invites you to listen to music and enjoy it, as it should be. Unlike the Cambridge, you tend to forget about it and forget yourself into Nirvana.
It is not at all as inviting as the Little Dot.
The Little Dot is also better and more resolving in dynamics.
And the detail resolution on the Little Dot of old tracks where a record player was still used, it resolves cleanly and shows that it belongs to music that was composed at that time.
You can hear the needle and the movement of the turntable.
Really fabulous.

The Cambridge, for example, doesn't do that, but if it does, you hear very little of it and it tends to pass you by.

Let's go back to the good stuff, it's more than 10 years old from a technical point of view and still plays excellent today, despite the old Usb port 16/44 max output. Surprisingly with the tablet as an additional source.
Although the Cambridge was supposed to be better and came out later, the Little dot outperforms it, to be honest.
And my Cambridge is still modified as a note.

It's a shame that it's been lost sight of by many, also because of better and better Dac's, it's rightly still on the market.
Probably not for much longer due to the current chip shortage and the fact that Wolfson has been bought by Cirrus Logic.
It is definitely a very good entry-level Dac if you can still get it from somewhere.
It also has to be said that it could probably offer a small upgrade with the Singxer F1, especially for the iPad.
For Android based tablets you would have to see if there is an adapter like the Appels Usb camera adapter, if so there would be no problem to use it and maybe benefit from the bit perfect output that Android offers.

If I had to choose between the two again, I would go for the Little Dot Dac. even if it costs 100€ more than the Cambridge and possibly customs and import fees are added, it is worth the money.
The fact that the technology is outdated doesn't matter at all in this case.
The streaming providers say that 16/44 is Cd quality anyway.
I would prefer the 32/96 format or at least 24/96.
But it's not too bad, I don't even think about it.

I listened to it mainly with the Aeon R/T headphones and Little Dot 1+ amplifier, source player was the Ipad.
I bought mine from Shenzenaudio who still sells them.
The import fee and VAT (19%) cost 40€ for the German import.
As a side note, the Little Dot 1+ amp is about the same age as the Dac when it came out.
I assume that the Dac can go one better from a musical point of view with one of today's amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back