UPCOMING Little Dot DAC
Feb 12, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #376 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LD a great deal better than the uDac, in my opinion. The uDac is phenomenal for its size and cost, but I find it to be somewhat congested and "digital sounding" when compared to full-size standalone DACs (like my other desktop DACs, the LD Dac_II and DacMagic).

How would you describe the performance between the DacMagic & the LD DAC_ll?

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #377 of 411
I haven't forgotten about the review I'm going to do, I'm just swamped at the moment.
For now though I can subjectively say that this thing smokes the PS Audio DL-III which I sold to buy this - and have $600 left over...

Anyone considering this may may think of it as the new giant killer. LD has put tried and true design into the unit, with nothing else that doesn't contribute positively. I think what makes it so great is that the circuit design is state of the art, rather than being several generations old as many of the so called kings of the DAC world are. Components and construction are first rate as well.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #378 of 411
I got my Little Dot Dac_II in a few days ago my only gripes are.

-Came with a Chinese manual. (Other people got English)
-Took almost 2-3 weeks to get
- Cant figure out how to set settings

I also am having problems. I have it hooked up through Toslink and set my Windows Volume Panel to 2 Channel, 24 Bit, 192000Hz (Studio Quality). Then clicked test and I get no tone from my Dac_II! It will play 96000Hz but not 19200hz!

Any help with the playing of 19200Hz or did I get a bad unit?

I added a pic of how my settings are.

142232d1266533413-little-dot-dac_ii-192-not-working.png

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #379 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't forgotten about the review I'm going to do, I'm just swamped at the moment.
For now though I can subjectively say that this thing smokes the PS Audio DL-III which I sold to buy this - and have $600 left over...

Anyone considering this may may think of it as the new giant killer. LD has put tried and true design into the unit, with nothing else that doesn't contribute positively. I think what makes it so great is that the circuit design is state of the art, rather than being several generations old as many of the so called kings of the DAC world are. Components and construction are first rate as well.

+1

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #380 of 411
I'm researching a DAC + Amp setup for home use. As of right now, the knowns are a PC with only USB out, and AKG K271 cans. I'm thinking about some K702s for home use, and leaving the K271s for work.

This will be my first DAC/Amp. I also am thinking about an amp for work to help out the Ipod.

I was leaning towards a vDac + unknown amp (vCan?), until finding this thread.

Now, it looks like two more options are Dac I + MK V, and Dac II.

Can the Dac II sufficiently drive a K702? I would expect the Dac I + MK V to drive the K702. But the Dac II has a pricing advantage, especially for a first step into the DAC/Amp world.

Other thoughts?

thanks from a learning newbie
wink_face.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #381 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by sranderle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm researching a DAC + Amp setup for home use. As of right now, the knowns are a PC with only USB out, and AKG K271 cans. I'm thinking about some K702s for home use, and leaving the K271s for work.

This will be my first DAC/Amp. I also am thinking about an amp for work to help out the Ipod.

I was leaning towards a vDac + unknown amp (vCan?), until finding this thread.

Now, it looks like two more options are Dac I + MK V, and Dac II.

Can the Dac II sufficiently drive a K702? I would expect the Dac I + MK V to drive the K702. But the Dac II has a pricing advantage, especially for a first step into the DAC/Amp world.

Other thoughts?

thanks from a learning newbie
wink_face.gif

Welcome to the world of audiophile! If you are married, I am very sorry, lol!

As far as your AKGs being driven by the LD DACII, not a good idea. I have the LD DACI and love it. The DACII doesn't have a powerful enough headphone amp in it to properly drive 701s.

I do think you will like the LD DACI, with an amp of your choice. I personally love mine, and have it coupled with a Millet Maxed hybrid (tubes & solid state mixed) amp, and it sounds really quite nice.

With that said, there are some things that will help us direct you better towards good choices for YOU. The thing about this hobby is that everyone has different tastes, and those translate into different choices, from music to your equipment.
So, if you can tell us your musical preferences, your budget-if any
atsmile.gif
, and your goals you would like to accomplish with your setup.

Me, for example: I had a budget of $400 for my DAC. I researched and bought 3 different DACs before finally settling (for now) on the LD DACI. I had a budget of about the same for an amp. I bought a Millet Maxed amp after trying several others, and am quite happy with it.

One of my goals was to get the best sound I could for the money I had. I personally am very happy with my choices. One of my goals was to go balanced. I still have that as a goal, but down the road a bit. The great thing about the DACI, is that it gives me the option to do so when and if I do decide to spend the extra coin to get a balanced amp, and balance my phones.

Hope this helps you. The more information we have, the better we can tell you what is out there in your price range, that will meet your requirements. If you are serious about not upgrading every few months, spend a good deal of time on here asking questions, but look up the answers as much as you can on your own first. This will gain you much respect, as it shows you aren't just too lazy to press the search key, lol!
bigsmile_face.gif

Look forward to hearing more from you,
Matt

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #382 of 411
I'm using the DAC1 with a Squeezebox, feeding balanced to an MKVI. Using that as both headphone amp for balanced Senn 650's, and also as a pre-amp for a Krell amp pumping some Polk SDA's that I rebuilt with Sonicaps.

I have to say, I was extremely nervous purchasing the DAC1, considering I was putting a $299 source component in line with some serious gear. I have to say, it's working out great, the sound is exquisite. It would be interesting to put this up against a higher end dac and do some testing, but I'm quite impressed with it.

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #383 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the DAC1 with a Squeezebox, feeding balanced to an MKVI. Using that as both headphone amp for balanced Senn 650's, and also as a pre-amp for a Krell amp pumping some Polk SDA's that I rebuilt with Sonicaps.

I have to say, I was extremely nervous purchasing the DAC1, considering I was putting a $299 source component in line with some serious gear. I have to say, it's working out great, the sound is exquisite. It would be interesting to put this up against a higher end dac and do some testing, but I'm quite impressed with it.

It is indeed a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #386 of 411
so what filter settings do you guys use?

slow or sharp? and is there a main difference between the two?

May 2, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #387 of 411
What are the opamps in the dac_1? I have a couple opa2111 that I can use if it will be a better substitude..
Did anyone tried rolling the opamps? any improvements?

May 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #388 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the opamps in the dac_1? I have a couple opa2111 that I can use if it will be a better substitude..
Did anyone tried rolling the opamps? any improvements?

At the heart of the Little Dot DAC_I are the Wolfson Micro's high quality 24-bit 192Khz WM8740 DAC chip, WM8805 ultra-low jitter (50ps) digital transceiver chip, and the ultra-low distortion LM4562/LME49720/LME4910. A dual crystallizer re-clock circuit ensures a synchronized and jitter-free signal!

May 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #389 of 411
Has anyone compared a LD Dac_1 + MK_VII combo to any Audio-GD gear by any chance??

May 16, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #390 of 411

Quote:
This may be a dumb question, considering it has the USB input...but this is an external soundcard usb dac right?
I don't actually need a sound card inside my pc?

Correct unless you want mic capabilities but for that you can use onboard 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back