UPCOMING Little Dot DAC
May 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #391 of 411
I also wonder if any of you has compared it to this http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/407756/hifidiy-s-mini-usb-dac-mk2-also-a-headphone-amp/195
I'm only interested in the dac, not in the amp, as maybe i'll go stax.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #392 of 411
I've had mine for a good 6 months now.  I use it almost daily for headphone movie viewing, and music.  I use it as well between my PC and my home stereo but not as much.  I'll stand by my original assertion that this DAC blows away anything costing 2-3 times as much.
I haven't done the 'big review' because I don't have the equipment and software loaded up in my newer build of Windows7.  I'm still waiting for E-Mu drivers, etc.  Plus, I'm knee deep in projects building my own tube pre-amps for bass (I'm a musician as well).  Some day though!
In the meantime, anyone looking in the $400 - $1K range would be hard pressed to beat this.  It smoked the PS Audio DAC I had, at a quarter the price.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #393 of 411
Are the any compatibility issues with the Little Dot DAC 1 and USB connection to a computer with an Atom processor (Dell mini)?

I'm interested primarily in using the LD DAC with my Teac PD-H300 as a transport, but also listen to archived Grateful Dead concerts through the computer.

I'm also having a tough time choosing between the LD and the V-DAC. I recently purchased an LD 1+ hybrid amp that I'm absolutely thrilled with (sooooo much better than my Headroom Micro amp), so I'm leading toward the LD DAC. Nice products and great service.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx.

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #394 of 411
I can't address your specific situation, because I haven't even plugged a cable into the USB port.  
I can say that via coaxial SPDIF, the 'tracking' is flawless and quick.  As soon as I put signal through it, the DAC 'knows' it's there and displays the bit-rate at which it is receiving.  Plus, it would be simple to use a USB on one channel, and a coax, or optical on another (it has 4 channels) and quickly figure what works best for you.  I use the optical port from my Blu-Ray player when I watch movies late at night with headphones.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #395 of 411
I'm definately considering this to be my first amp. I currently have Alessandro MS-1i's, and will probably get good, closed headphones (maybe D2000) later. What is a good, not too expensive (~$200) amp to combine this with? I mostly listen to (indie/alternative) rock and electronic music (minimal, techno, dubstep, IDM).

Thanks.

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #396 of 411
You mean your first DAC don't you?

You might try the Little Dot DAC_II which has an headphone amp built in.

Quote:
I'm definately considering this to be my first amp. I currently have Alessandro MS-1i's, and will probably get good, closed headphones (maybe D2000) later. What is a good, not too expensive (~$200) amp to combine this with? I mostly listen to (indie/alternative) rock and electronic music (minimal, techno, dubstep, IDM).

Thanks.

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #397 of 411
I'm sorry, I mean my first DAC, yes :)
I did some research and did not find very good reviews of the amp of the DAC_II. That's why I'm looking for a nice amp for this DAC.
I'm also in doubt about the Matrix Mini-I, reviews are very good and the amp inside that one is really good too.
Quote:
You mean your first DAC don't you?

You might try the Little Dot DAC_II which has an headphone amp built in.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #398 of 411
My DAC_I should be here in a few days! I'll post some impressions once it comes.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #399 of 411
I'm considering getting this DAC to improve upon my Rotel RCD950 player.  I've had the 950 for about 12 years now and it's worked really well in my system.  But I'm curious to know if the sound could be improved with an inexpensive DAC like the little dot.  Any body else tried this DAC with a mid-fi cd player such as a Rotel?  Were there significant improvements?

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #400 of 411
This is an excellent, excellent sounding DAC. The mids are incredibly smooth and realistic sounding, the highs are extended nicely, and the bass is well defined and controlled. It has a nice sense of space to it, and it projects a very realistic sounding soundstage. Overall, it's very smooth and neutral sounding.

Also, it's super convenient having such a huge amount of inputs/outputs. I have quite the cordpocalypse going on behind my rig now
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #401 of 411
Per LD's website - Output frequencies "44.1 KHz - 96 KHz (Display will show 44.1 KHz, 96 KHz, or 192 KHz)"

So what does the display show if you play a 48KHz file?

And it supports up to 96KHz, yet the display *can* show 192KHz? I am confused....

Also, is the BNC input 75 Ohms?

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #402 of 411

Quote:
This is an excellent, excellent sounding DAC. The mids are incredibly smooth and realistic sounding, the highs are extended nicely, and the bass is well defined and controlled. It has a nice sense of space to it, and it projects a very realistic sounding soundstage. Overall, it's very smooth and neutral sounding.

Also, it's super convenient having such a huge amount of inputs/outputs. I have quite the cordpocalypse going on behind my rig now
biggrin.gif

indeed. One of the best Dac's I've ever heard.  Oatmeal praises it highly and has even said it competes with the PS Audio III.  Let it burn it a little more and it will wow you, each passing minute. Future proof as well, since it has balanced XLR connections
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Per LD's website - Output frequencies "44.1 KHz - 96 KHz (Display will show 44.1 KHz, 96 KHz, or 192 KHz)"

So what does the display show if you play a 48KHz file?

And it supports up to 96KHz, yet the display *can* show 192KHz? I am confused....

Also, is the BNC input 75 Ohms?

It outputs at 44.1KHZ on CD albums. If you play a 48KHZ dvd or something, it will still display 44.1KHZ, but it will play the dvd at its native 48KHZ signal i believe. I think David from little dot told me that 96KHZ is the max on a usb connection, so you have to go with coaxial or toslink to output @ 192hz

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #403 of 411
Sword is working on two interesting projects namely the DAC_III and the CDP_III. Both will share similar chassis as the LD MKVIII tube amp.

The DAC_III is a pure DAC (no amp) with two Wolfson WM8741's.

The CDP_III is a pure transport. Sword skips the CDP_II and goes straight to III (to match with the DAC_III..
biggrin.gif
)

That's all I know for now. Both should be available in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back