UPCOMING Little Dot DAC
May 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #151 of 411
I am really looking forward to receiving this DAC! I've been emailing with David quite a bit about tubes, etc. for the MKVI that I've purchased (can't wait for that as well!!!), and I mentioned to him that this DAC almost seems too good to be true. I asked him if this DAC will really be good enough to stand up to the rest of my gear, particularly the Krell amp I'm getting. Here's what he had to say:

"Absolutely! Let me just say that if you are going in with low expectations due to the price, you will be blown away. Even if you are expecting great things, you will still be pleased."

Ok, bring it on!!!

May 29, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #154 of 411
How bout this vs Compass?

May 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #155 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MKVI and LD DAC arriving tomorrow! Can't wait!!!

Can you post some pictures of them together, along with a review?
smile.gif

May 30, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #156 of 411
I'm in the middle of major gear transition, I'll do up a bunch of pictures when things stabilize in a week or so.

Meanwhile, the amp and the dac arrived today, and I'm very impressed. Very very impressed. The MKVI is a smokin' amp, sounds awesome. And it wouldn't if the DAC didn't also measure up. I had a big smile on my face while I was doing some listening, and that was only with about 5 hours of breaking in.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #158 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, you can. the rca video cables will work, though audio cables will not

not true.

audio cables, even the $1 specials, work JUST FINE for spdif coax.

I have never heard a dropped bit or 'jitter' with even junk cables.

don't believe the hype. I've even used junky ribbon cable (!!) as spdif wiring. works fine.

wet spaghetti will also work for spdif (semi kidding).

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #159 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CapQ, it may be a bit early to tell but could tell us how it sounds so far?

Trying to decide between this and the Dacmagic

Hi Stitch, sorry just saw your post.
I noticed your home setup from your signature and I think this dac gonna bring an impact to your current setup. DAC_1 sounds soft and smooth in overall. It provides more detailed sound in treble and its midrange dynamic is great (that's the reason i like it). Although I dont satisfied with its soundstage presentation, I still have to say the price of DAC_1 is a steal. I never heard dacmagic so I cant help you to choose but it's a brilliant dac without regret to me.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #160 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not true.

audio cables, even the $1 specials, work JUST FINE for spdif coax.

I have never heard a dropped bit or 'jitter' with even junk cables.

don't believe the hype. I've even used junky ribbon cable (!!) as spdif wiring. works fine.

wet spaghetti will also work for spdif (semi kidding).

but why bother with the $1 rca audio cable, when you can get the $1 rca video cable? :p

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #162 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Stitch, sorry just saw your post.
I noticed your home setup from your signature and I think this dac gonna bring an impact to your current setup. DAC_1 sounds soft and smooth in overall. It provides more detailed sound in treble and its midrange dynamic is great (that's the reason i like it). Although I dont satisfied with its soundstage presentation, I still have to say the price of DAC_1 is a steal. I never heard dacmagic so I cant help you to choose but it's a brilliant dac without regret to me.

Good to hear its smooth and adds detail, but im a bit concerned about the soundstage. I came to notice that for metal its good to have a wide soundstage. Hows the bass and to what kind of music do you listen?
The dac_1 sounds good but im a bit leaning towards the dacmagic. From what ive read its detailed, good bass and has a wide soundstage.

Im going to audtion the dacmagic at a local audio/video store tomorrow, bringing both my amp and cans. Keeping your impressions in mind i hope to make my decision

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #163 of 411
yes full writeup needed!

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #164 of 411
Just came back from auditioning the dacmagic and i liked it. Good but not overdone bass, fast, wide soundstage. There is only a bit more sibilance than im used too w/o the dac. Could be the dac exposing more of my cans. It did everything verry well; Slayer, Thyrfing, Ayreon, Vader, Gorgoroth
Setup was as follows:
CA Azur 640c>>Dacmagic>>LD MKIII>>DT880 and
CA Azur 640c>>Azur 640a>>DT880
So i could also hear the azur amp.

The guys at the store even gave me compliments on the looks and sound of my LD
dt880smile.png
, they never saw one before. They liked the sound of my amp better than out of the Azur640a, wider stage, warmer sound and better lows. With half the price of the 640a my LD preformed way better to my and their ears. Could be the difference between SS and tubes though.

Anyways, ill stop thread-jacking now
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Back to the dac_1.
Give us a review, please!

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #165 of 411
I have had my LD DAC 1 for almost a week now but for a variety of reasons have only used it primarily for background music.

My initial reaction was that it is sooo much smoother than the internal DAC of my Squeezebox & from memory it was less harsh (esp up high) than my NAD CD player which I rarely use now..

Can't give much else unfortunately as I am not a journalist and dont have anything else to compare it to.

Regardless, I am quite happy with it all so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back