Upcoming Beyerdynamic Headphones - Custom One Tesla, Custom One Studio, T51p and amp A20
Jul 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #47 of 234
Any of you tried the A20? I have a T1 but I would also like it to properly drive my lower impedance headphones....

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #48 of 234
I hope they've come a long way with their amp designs. I really hated the A1 when I heard it (not in optimal conditions mind you, but my initial impression made me want to yank the headphones off). 

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #52 of 234
Quote:
I hope they've come a long way with their amp designs. I really hated the A1 when I heard it (not in optimal conditions mind you, but my initial impression made me want to yank the headphones off). 

I've only heard it with the T1 so I didn't get a bad impression of it...  I've heard it matches very poorly with other cans though.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #54 of 234
They said you can customize these Custom One Pro headphones, but I have yet seen anything that you can order to customize them. And these Custom One Pro are been out for a while now. So does anyone know whre I can get diff color plates, headbands, headset gear cable?

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #55 of 234
Anyone know if the headphone amp's output impedance will be as ridiculously absurd as the A1's? (The Beyerdynamic A1 has an output impedance of around 100 ohms, if I remember correctly.)

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #56 of 234
Jul 17, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #58 of 234
Quote:
Anyone know if the headphone amp's output impedance will be as ridiculously absurd as the A1's? (The Beyerdynamic A1 has an output impedance of around 100 ohms, if I remember correctly.)

There exists an older standard dating back to 1996 as far as I remember that specifies 120Ohm output impedance for headphones... Beyer seem to be about the only one adhering to that standard. The spec sheet for the A20 also states 100Ohm unfortunately:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/media/datenblaetter/DAT_A20_EN.pdf

That should not be a major problem with a headphone tuned to that output impedance. Beyer is doing that as far as I know, but others don't... So this design choice for their amps might not be the best one.

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #59 of 234

There exists an older standard dating back to 1996 as far as I remember that specifies 120Ohm output impedance for headphones... Beyer seem to be about the only one adhering to that standard. The spec sheet for the A20 also states 100Ohm unfortunately:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/media/datenblaetter/DAT_A20_EN.pdf

I presume that the reference is to IEC 61938-1996?  The use of Zs=120Ω ended up causing more problems than it solved, as Stereophile Magazine published in the 2008 article "Between the Ears:  The Art and Science of Measuring Headphones."  I'm currently searching for a headset of Zo≥120Ω for my Asus® CM1630-06, given the published Zs=10.7Ω of the Texas Instruments® TPA6120A2 dual power amplifier in the XONAR® Essence™ STX'™ headphone circuit; the Custom One™ Studio (Zo=250Ω) qualifies, along with several other 250Ω and 600Ω models from three manufacturers, as a candidate for my system.

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #60 of 234
   I found the Custom One Pros in my area for about 2000 RMB, or about $300. It's really, really customizable, even down to the SQ. This has got to be the answer to my upgraditis. It's also aesthetically customizable, but accessories will be priced high...
   Still, I find the customizable SQ to be the biggest selling point for me. Here's how to customize:

From the looks of it, the further down the slider is, the bigger the bass. I wonder if this will be able to fit my needs?
   Tech specs look quite promising too:
  1. Transducer type: Dynamic, Closed
  2. Frequency response: 5Hz - 35KHz
  3. Impedance: 16 ohms
  4. Nominal SPL: 96dB

Acessories are pretty cool, with a detachable (yay!) one-sided (yay!) cable, and the 6.3mm adapter as always. I want this pair, like, right now after reading the review. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back