[Unofficial Theme] Head-Fi Modern Classic: A more functional Head-Fi [Fixes bugs from the new facelift]
Feb 11, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #16 of 27

1. High res avatar will now replace the default low res blurry avatar.

Thanks for this (as well as for moving it to the far right)!

I have a couple of observations, mainly related to the HF-Beta theme.

Thanks for diving into the murky Beta waters TwinQY.

- Positioning of elements in the nav bar, in particular the search bar. They are currently absolutely positioned, which does not work well for every page width.
I've seen your screenshots and trying to adjust this in a way that will not break other elements.

- Adding some sort of transition delay as the nav bar hides/appears would make things less visually jarring. (This should be possible right? I don't know much about CSS)
I do have a transition delay on my personal version of the theme. James pointed out to me that it causes the nav bar to flicker/transition out when loading a new page, hence is not in the Beta theme yet. Replace two sets (starting at line 55) with the following:

.fixed-scroll-breakpoint .ui-header-fixed {
    background: rgba(91, 105, 133, 0)!important;
    box-shadow: unset;
    transition: 1.4s;
    }    
.fixed-scroll-breakpoint .ui-header-fixed:hover {
    background: rgba(91, 105, 133, .99)!important;
    transition: 0.7s;
    } 
let me know what you think.

- The white text on the subscription/PM links could be changed to something more visible when the nav bar is collapsed. I have it currently set to black. Ideally, a background image/element would make the effect look more integrated. To be honest, I don't really see the usefulness of having the avatar/links visible altogether.
I thought of this, but I found a solid colour like black a little distracting. I'm trying some some subdued shades that are conspicuously inconspicuous, and will update the theme soon. (As soon as I work a way of changing the colour only when the nav bar is collapsed) :)

- This might be a bug on my end, but the avatar flickers in and out repeatedly when focusing on it specifically.
I am not seeing this flicker but it is caused when the same element is called twice in the code. I've seen this flicker happen when two contradictory effects are applied to the same element. Could you try a separate fresh install of the theme and let me know if it persists?

PS: Thank you for this excellent feedback TwinQY!
The lack of conditional syntax in CSS makes things a little tricky but there's always a workaround :wink:

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #17 of 27
  I've seen your screenshots and trying to adjust this in a way that will not break other elements.

I've been trying to move things around too, and it's been very difficult to get to a layout that works for every page width (without writing the nav bar from scratch). It's good to know that you're working on it though.

I do have a transition delay on my personal version of the theme. James pointed out to me that it causes the nav bar to flicker/transition out when loading a new page, hence is not in the Beta theme yet. Replace two sets (starting at line 55) with the following:
.fixed-scroll-breakpoint .ui-header-fixed {
    background: rgba(91, 105, 133, 0)!important;
    box-shadow: unset;
    transition: 1.4s;
    }    
.fixed-scroll-breakpoint .ui-header-fixed:hover {
    background: rgba(91, 105, 133, .99)!important;
    transition: 0.7s;
    } 
let me know what you think.

I actually had set it to 0.5s prior to my previous post, which led to the suggestion. I've not noticed the flicker/transition during new page loads - but I might just not have been paying enough attention.

I thought of this, but I found a solid colour like black a little distracting. I'm trying some some subdued shades that are conspicuously inconspicuous, and will update the theme soon. (As soon as I work a way of changing the colour only when the nav bar is collapsed) :)

I've tried having a little element permanently there for the background, but it looks hacky. An effect where the nav bar collapses to the right (it doesn't actually have to do that, just visually) to cover the avatar/links would be neat as heck.

I am not seeing this flicker but it is caused when the same element is called twice in the code. I've seen this flicker happen when two contradictory effects are applied to the same element. Could you try a separate fresh install of the theme and let me know if it persists?

It seems to have disappeared (could be the new resolution of the avatar playing bad with my very slow internet connection).

PS: Thank you for this excellent feedback TwinQY! The lack of conditional syntax in CSS makes things a little tricky but there's always a workaround :wink:

I feel bad for not being able to help more - having known only the absolute bare minimum for front-end web development. I do, however, know how to complain (you can thank my parents) so you can expect to see more of that in the future :)

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #18 of 27
Thanks to feedback, I realized that the later versions of the Theme wouldn't work properly on Safari (browser).
I've fixed the issue now.
Also adding the Safari extension link to the OP

Fun stat : Around 11 users have installed the theme so far :)

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #19 of 27
 I wonder if it's because they don't know your fix exists, or if they're all just logged on 24/7 and just don't care about the bar on top?

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 27
   I wonder if it's because they don't know your fix exists, or if they're all just logged on 24/7 and just don't care about the bar on top?

Fun stat : Around 11 users have installed the theme so far :)

That's 390,885 too few :)

It probably a mix of
  1. Common notion that a "Theme" is 'only' a styling change
  2. The Lounge threads move quickly so the theme thread gets buried in a few days
  3. Maybe people are weary of extensions
  4. Head-fiers do not know of the feedback section of the forums
  5. Most Headfi-ers are just going along with the changes, probably because the inconvenience is minor from their perspective
  6. Head-fi hasn't made an official announcement regarding the new changes (like a few other Wikia-managed sites have), so users do not have a more accessible avenue to provide feedback.

I can't think of any way to inform more users about the feedback section without going OT(something I'd never do). 

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #22 of 27
My bets are on points 4 and 5. Keeping in mind that this isn't really a technical crowd, and that responses are limited to the amount of expertise people can provide. Most of the threads on that subforum are fairly silent - I would consider yours a rousing success. For instance, there was a thread on there about SSL login a long time ago, and the response was underwhelming, to say the least. I think it speaks to the level of interest in these sorts of things.

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 27
  My bets are on points 4 and 5. Keeping in mind that this isn't really a technical crowd, and that responses are limited to the amount of expertise people can provide. Most of the threads on that subforum are fairly silent - I would consider yours a rousing success. For instance, there was a thread on there about SSL login a long time ago, and the response was underwhelming, to say the least. I think it speaks to the level of interest in these sorts of things.

I must admit, I wouldn't care about SSL login either. But the facelift is different, the omnipresent funeral style bar was annoying the heck outta me. Thankfully, @getclikinagas came to the rescue... 
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 27
I think it's significant enough of a security issue, at least in comparison to some of the other, more trivial, user-facing bugs. I don't expect the site to be a bastion of security. The consequences for only having a forum account compromised, is in itself, not a big deal (discounting those who have personal and financial information on here from selling and trading gear - which should be really shared off of the forums). And to be fair, there is something to be said about connecting to unsecured public WiFi networks without doing your due diligence. But this is just such a trivial fix. It doesn't feel right for something like this to have been ignored for so long. Especially in this day and age. It's like that hole near the back of your pants that you ignore because it's too much of a hassle to stitch back together, up until it stretches into a massive tear right in public.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #25 of 27
Wow, stumbled on to this thread randomly and I so glad I did. Installed it painlessly on my safari browser, definitely better than the current layout for sure. Also would like to add that Tampermonkey is a JS installer for safari, there are no safari versions for greasemonkey and the likes.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #26 of 27
  Wow, stumbled on to this thread randomly and I so glad I did. Installed it painlessly on my safari browser, definitely better than the current layout for sure. Also would like to add that Tampermonkey is a JS installer for safari, there are no safari versions for greasemonkey and the likes.

Thanks for trying it Tamal
smile.gif
. Check out the beta theme too(mentioned at the end of the OP). You may like those features too.

I just noticed that Greasyfork does provide a link to Tampermonkey, but doesn't mention Safari support. I will include a direct link in the OP. Thanks.

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #27 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back