Unknown greats? JVC Victor's Japan-market line (help, Japanese head-fiers)
Mar 9, 2008 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

facelvega

Headphoneus Supremus
Most of us around here are aware of the JVC DX1000 woodies, which are held by some to be among the best dynamics on the market. A keen reader lately would also have spotted news of two new high/mid-end JVC canalphones (one of them wooden) and a semi high-end aluminum earclip that at least one head-fier swears is great. I read all that, and two days ago happened to spot another Japanese market JVC, the M1000, on the wall at the Audiocubes store in New York. It was fantastic: every bit as good as the Audio Technica A900ti also on display, though less than half the price, and easily better than a normal A900 or a DT770.

So I just took a look at the headphone pages on JVC's headphone website to see what else they've got on tap. It seems to me that usually within a single company's line, you can judge how good they think any model is by its stated frequency response. Below I list what catches my eye from the many models available.

First, two models with a 50mm driver that I'm fairly sure sound good:

DX1000: 4-30k ($950 on Audiocubes, but only $879 on Audiocubes2 for some reason)
M1000: 5-29k ($147 on Audiocubes)

The cheaper models with good ratings are the

DX3: 4-30k (discontinued, still available in the US for ca. $140)
DX1: 4-30k (looks just like the DX3, but half the list price and 45 ohms vs 90; in the US for $62)
M770: 8-28k (cheaper version of the M1000 frame, 40mm driver vs. 50mm)
S900: 8-26k (the only full-size here that is available in the US, $100)
RX900: 7-26k (available in the US, ca. $60. The also 50mm RX700 is around for even less.)

The interesting clip-ons seem to be the

AL1000: 12-25k ($80 on Audiocubes)
AL700: 8-25k (these are open-backed)
AL600: 12-25k

and the interesting in-ears, the

FX500: 8-25k (available in the US, $189)
FX300: 8-25k (available in the US, $60)

So, who can report on any of these? Any head-fiers in Japan willing to help out with some advice?

Finally, some pics, in the order I just listed:

holder.gif

m1000.jpg

dx1_1.jpg

dx3_1.jpg

m770.jpg

hp-s900_prod.jpg

hp-rx900_prod.jpg

hp-al1000-b_s.jpg

al700.jpg

copy_of_model.jpg

hp-fx500_prod.jpg

hp-fx300_prod.jpg

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 22
The drivers on the DX-1 and DX-3 are different from one another and older. They have very little relation to the newer 50mm driver/s. The DX-3 is slightly below a HD595 in SQ and near the DT770 in bass amount. The DX-1 has pleather pads opposed to the DX-3's velour yet manages to have ER4 amounts of bass with way less detail. When paired with a warm source it is maybe slightly better than an SR60. I had the DX-1 since Amazon had them for $39 shipped. I also have the S900 and it is much better than the DX1.

I didn't think much of the DX1 drivers and removed them and replaced them with KSC 75's a long time ago.

The AV510 is also old and so-so. It should be replaced on your list with this...
ƒXƒeƒŒƒIƒwƒbƒhƒzƒ“ HP-RX900 ƒrƒNƒ^[

The other clip-on that is interesting is the AL600. It is a closed clip-on which is the only closed one that I know exists.
ƒA[ƒ€ƒŒƒXƒwƒbƒhƒzƒ“@HP-AL600@ƒrƒNƒ^[

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 22
Just noticed that the DX1 is easily available online in the US for as little as $72, as is the DX3 for about $130 or so. This seems to indicate that the DX3 was the real deal, and the DX1 not so much, so I've adjusted the categories above accordingly. The question is whether the RX900 has the better 50mm driver or not. The frequency response ratings might not be so useful after all, since the evidently not-so-good DX1 gets the same rating as the DX1000.

edit, hey jant71, I believe most of the JVC clipons are closed, the AL1000 for instance. It doesn't necessarily make too much sense, as the lack of pressure on the earpads kills much chance of a seal.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 22
Sure looks like JVC have a nice head-earphone line.
From the top-of-the-line DX1000 down to the small earclips/IEM's. Their speaker series look nice as well, and get great reviews.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 22
Hmm I saw some Victor heapdhones on an auction site a while ago for very cheap, but I googled and found nothing so I didnt buy them. Can't rememember what model they were.... The RX900 rings a bell...

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for more info. Funny this thread should pop up, I was just stumbling through the Japanese Victor site the other day.

Also the wooden cone speaker setups look super classy! Apparently they sell a kit to build yourself????

untitled.jpg

I am probably not a very good DIYer, but I keep wondering: Where do the tweeters fit in the cabinet?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am probably not a very good DIYer, but I keep wondering: Where do the tweeters fit in the cabinet?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

The SX-WD1KT don't have a dedicated tweeter. It use a single 8.5cm wood cone driver

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 22
Yes, the FX300 seem to get better with age. They are also better than the DX-1 was. The new members of the line do seem to have the house sound. The S900 is similar to the 300 but better. The S900 is a tiny bit easier to drive though.

Interested to hear how the FX500 end up sounding. The FX700 info should be on the site in a week or two. That is if they keep the same timing as between the earlier announcements. There was the delay with the FX500 though so that might not hold up.

Fraseyboy, that might have been the RX500, which is well liked(for the price range) from what I've read. The RX900 was released less than a month ago so it probably wasn't that one. The RX900, btw, is about $80 on ebay. This is from Japan with the "import" mark-up so it is a cheaper closed phone. Not sure how good it will be. Curious but it is a big beast(350 grams).

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Google.jp the models in question and toss everything (especially caches of 2ch threads) into translators.

I actually did give this a try, but the one extensive review I found was by a guy whose other reviews were so far from my ears and from head-fi consensus that I couldn't take him seriously. I did manage to glean from various sources to back up jant71's statement that the DX1 and 3 sound nothing like the newer 50mm drivers, and are not as good.

I'll bet that only one of those headphones in the second category is good, probably the RX900, as it's the only remaining one with a new-series 50mm driver. That would give us a nice set of price points on their full-size headphones, $900 / $150 / $60.

It seems to be coming clear that the Victor canalphones are competitive in their price ranges, with a sound distinct from other new entries in the dynamic canalphone segment, so they can stay in the list.

But finally, I'd really like to hear some reports on those clip-ons. Angelicboris wrote a good review of the AL1000, but that's it so far. If they are better than a KSC-75 (they're definitely better-looking) and range between about $40 and $80, these could be real contenders in the portable realm.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 22
The RX900 goes for about half the price of the S900 if that is any indication. Both on amazon.co Japan and on ebay. Doubt that 50mm driver is anything special though.

The three clip-ons worth anything are the 600/700/1000. I believe the 600 are closed while the other two are open. I have seen them all compared favorably to the Koss but not near as good a deal pricewise. The 700 was the old top of the line while the 600 and 1000 are from last year. They put them in the proper place on the line. For example, the FX66 came after the 77. It is 66 since it is not quite as good. Same with the 600. Still not better than the 700 though newer.

I read the 700 is a bit better than the Koss. Then the 600 should be around the Koss level with the plus of some isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back