Universal UE11 Replacements?
Oct 11, 2012 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mark_h

Headphoneus Supremus
After four to five year solid service my UE11 have passed on (I trod on one! ) They could be repaired but the bill will surpass what, I know, will buy a better universal fit replacement; after-all five years is a long time in the world of technology! 

I am looking for a universal fit as I cant be bothered fiddling around with ear impressions again. Anyone with direct experience of the UE and other high end universals care to offer advice? 

I have my eye on the IE80 so advice on this would be very helpful! I didn't like the UE11 bass hump!! I like absolute clarity of a studio 'monitor type'
Thanks in advance,
Mark :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 9
if you like the clarity of the ue11, do not look further at the ie80. you need a balanced armature phone. the only one i know, that comes close to ue11 is the um3x. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 9
The Sony EX1000, Westone 4, GR01, Etymotic HF5, Heir Audio 4ai, RE272, DBA-02 and CK10 are better pick for absolute clairty and balance sound signature.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 9
I would give the Westone 4's a shot. I have the UE11's also, and really like switching to the W4's to get a break from the crazy bass hump of the UE11's. Another option I would consider would maybe be the Heir Audio 4.Ai. They're universal, and use the same drivers as the W4, but they're much prettier, and supposedly sound different/better. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a set. The W4's aren't super exciting, but are very well rounded, and I can't really find any flaw in them sound-wise.

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Ultimate ears just came out with a new flagship universal. The UE900 which has four drivers and a 3 way crossover. I listened to them briefly and they sound different to the TF10. The bass and highs are toned down a bit but the midrange is much more forward while maintaining clarity. No mid-bass hump either.

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
  Thanks for the recommendations thus far, I have even been considering a return to the ER4S!! 

Good choice, though you might find the FitEar F111 a better choice if (1) you find the ER4 uncomfortable, or (2) you need the ER4S sound from portable sources. The FitEar F111 is designed as an analogue to the ER4S sound in an over-the-ear form factor and can be driven easily by portable sources. The main drawback is price, as you'll need to import it direct from Japan, which may cost you upwards of $600 USD.

The Heir Audio 4.Ai is probably a better choice than the Westone 4, as it rids itself of the recessed upper midrange/lower treble and mid-bass hump of the Westone 4.

You might find the new Logitech UE900 appealing if you've been using the UE11. It doesn't have that same mid-bass hump, so it's much more conservative on the low end. However, it does use the annoying MMCX connectors. Otherwise, it's a great package that will definitely appeal to both mainstream consumers and enthusiasts.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 9
Well, the only ones that you can readily walk into a store and buy are the ER4S, W4, and UE900, probably. Being a colonist from the other side of the Atlantic, I wouldn't know where though, heh.

Oh, you can also give the Phonak PFE232 a try.

You'll have to order the 4.Ai online, and it'll ship within a week. If you want to know what it sounds like before you buy, I'm sure one of the multiple English head-fiers is willing to lend one to you for a try, methinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back