Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
May 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3,211 of 3,931
Quote:

Yes, an 'investment' mould is made from your original impressions and, provided UM keep these investments (which most labs do), they can be re-used.

See the UE Youtube videos to understand this in greater detail (please note that any custom IEM lab that makes their CIEMs from acrylic will use the same fundamental methods demonstrated in these videos, so I'm not disrespecting Unique Melody by posting these videos within this Unique Melody thread (I'm a UM customer myself) ):

By "investment" mould do you mean the one that they sent back to you with the CIEMs?

May 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #3,212 of 3,931
By "investment" mould do you mean the one that they sent back to you with the CIEMs?

The investment is the milky-clear silicone mould made *FROM* your original ear impressions. If you look at the UE videos I posted in this thread, you'll see that when they receive your ear impressions, they carve off the excess, grind them smooth, then put them in a small cylindrical holder, and completely fill this with liquid silicone. When this has set, they remove the original impressions and use the new ones (cylindrical shaped) to pour in liquid acrylic. It is these cylindrical shaped silicone moulds which are called 'investments'

I didn't receive moulds back with my CIEMs, I only received the CIEMs alone.

May 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #3,213 of 3,931
Just wondering, has any of you owned a pair of universal customs?
Or maybe a pair of demo universals?
I lost the tips for my UM universal customs and i do not know which tips will make a good replacement tips as i do not want the sound signature to change.
Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

May 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #3,214 of 3,931
hmph UMLab are starting to piss me off again with their change of order completion date bs...

They've resumed my order for 3 universals on the 10th of Apr, (and again I do appreciate Matt letting me try the new UMGlobal universal molds/use them for all 3 orders incl ciem.com orders)

Apr 14

to me
Hi,
Your three orders will be shipped on the end of this month.
Sorry to reply late.

Apr 30 (12 days ago)

to me
they finished your 3 driver.

they will finish sm3x8 and mage next week, and then ship it to you together.

it's a holiday right now in china, so the lab is on a little break.

Cheers,
Stephen

Apr 30 (11 days ago)

to me
Two customs are completed!will be shipped back after labor day.

May 8 (4 days ago)

to UMLab, Matt, Stephen
Dear UMLab,

Any updates?

Regards,

May 10 (2 days ago)

to UMLab, Matt, Stephen
Bump.

Yes, a month (+will be at least a few more days) wait is not too long compared to what others had here.
Especially considering public holidays in China, and the order being somewhat complicated (universal molds/custom metal inserts (inserts already done), 8 driver universal)
BUT:
when UMLab ignores emails, it really pisses me off ...
and saying it'll be shipped on XYZ,
me having to ask what's going on close to that date,
or when I get no update when that date goes past
is really irritating
(not them emailing and explaining WHY it hasn't happened).

Especially considering they're remodling mage because of switching universal molds on me without notice or asking me last time

Futhermore I've placed three orders: one via UMGlobal/Aus, one refit to a new uni mold via ciem.com and one 3 way 3 driver reshell to a universal via ciem.com ... So if they claim 2/3 iems are done, they could ship (should have) at least one of them since logically it's either my UMAu order + 1 ciem.com or 2 ciem.com ones. (and their original instructions were to send the 2 ciem.com orders (together), and UMAu orders as completed separately (UMAus goes to me via Matt/UMAus, ciem.com goes to me directly). and to notify me of the fedex ciem.com package). I guess all 3 via fedex to me eventually is also an option, but not what I asked...

I again feel like UMLab are lying and screwing with me and this is very unfortunate. (especially for 2.5k worth of IEMs).

Come on, it's not that difficult to stick to dates you set, or to notify the customer a day or two BEFORE that date lapses and explain why s...t is not happening (or what is happening). This is not the first time this happens to me with UM, so I should be used to it, but I'm not. And I don't like being treated like that as a customer
as they repeatedly get told by me and others.

And yes. I am impatient. (and they did get a copy of this via email). I'm not trying to rush them either (they should check things before starting work, and after finishing, preferably with me as well), I just want to be kept in the loop properly (oh and I did feel like cross posting to their major product threads but I won't be an a-hole)

May 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #3,215 of 3,931
Just wondering, has any of you owned a pair of universal customs?
Or maybe a pair of demo universals?
I lost the tips for my UM universal customs and i do not know which tips will make a good replacement tips as i do not want the sound signature to change.
Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I own 3 of those :D... Except UM has all of them at the moment.
comply T500/tx500, audiozones SF-50, TF/DF (the ones that fit IE8)

May 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3,217 of 3,931
Quote:
Why is everyone buying universal customs? I tried some universal jh16 and jh13 and they are sooo much more annoying to wear than normal universals.

How can they be both universal and custom?
rolleyes.gif

May 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3,219 of 3,931
How can they be both universal and custom? :rolleyes:

you get to pick the colors/logo/metal or wood insert/etc. The process is the same, they just use one of their universal molds and you obviously wear them with tips.

>Why is everyone buying universal customs? I tried some universal jh16 and jh13 and they are sooo much more annoying to wear than normal universals.

easier to take out/pop-in, you can vary isolation if you need to depending on tips, possibly less resale value drop, no fit problems/varying fit with weight/etc. not everyone actually finds a solid acrylic block taken with your mouth half open comfortable when your mouth is closed.
and your friends can listen and nod convincingly that you're not crazy (you know they're pretending)

> Except that it seems svyr has gone to the trouble of making some sm3x8 and 3 driver 3-ways that are custom but in a universal shell...

and a mage :D (but I'll probably end up selling either the 3d/3xover or the mage)

May 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3,220 of 3,931
Quote:
you get to pick the colors/logo/metal or wood insert/etc. The process is the same, they just use one of their universal molds and you obviously wear them with tips.
>Why is everyone buying universal customs? I tried some universal jh16 and jh13 and they are sooo much more annoying to wear than normal universals.
easier to take out/pop-in, you can vary isolation if you need to depending on tips, possibly less resale value drop, no fit problems/varying fit with weight/etc. not everyone actually finds a solid acrylic block taken with your mouth half open comfortable when your mouth is closed.
and your friends can listen and nod convincingly that you're not crazy (you know they're pretending)
> Except that it seems svyr has gone to the trouble of making some sm3x8 and 3 driver 3-ways that are custom but in a universal shell...
and a mage
biggrin.gif
(but I'll probably end up selling either the 3d/3xover or the mage)

I never thought about picking colors etc, makes perfect sense to call them a universal custom, with regards to the choices you get.
beerchug.gif

May 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #3,221 of 3,931
>I tried some universal jh16 and jh13 and they are sooo much more annoying to wear than normal universals.

also, UM do have a couple of universal molds to chose from if you don't find one comfortable (though they probably don't like me saying this :D - on the other hand they do make an effort for you not to end up with something you hate)

plus if you're making a universal out of frankenparts (drivers + old IEMs + driver upgrades), you can to some extent pick the sound signature if I'm not mistaken.

May 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3,222 of 3,931
Quote:

Maybe it was just me but i found it to be a pain to cram them in.  They are much bulkier than mainstream universals. The body of the iem was smaller than my customs but cramming the big foam tip in every time would end up killing me. You have to constantly adjust it to get it in the right position too.  Have you tried full customs? People comment on them being uncomfortable but mine disappear in my ear and are simply the most comfortable iems i've ever worn.

Another idea.. you could send them ear impressions and they could make custom universal customs lol. That way they could fit your ear exactly except they could make the canal smaller, but matching your ear, so even with the foam tip they would be really comfortable.

And yeh my friends think i'm crazy too for getting these things.. would be great if they could try mine to know how good they sound..  But like you i've got a feeling it wouldn't convince them of my sanity.

May 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #3,223 of 3,931
>Maybe it was just me but i found it to be a pain to cram them in. They are much bulkier than mainstream universals. The body of the iem was smaller than my customs but cramming the big foam tip in every time would end up killing me. You have to constantly adjust it to get it in the right position too. Have you tried full customs? People comment on them being uncomfortable but mine disappear in my ear and are simply the most comfortable iems i've ever worn.

yes I had a SM3 UM's custom (remold). Hated it/had terrible jaw/ear discomfort.

What you say largely depends on the shape of the ear and shape of the universal mold and the tips.

>Another idea.. you could send them ear impressions and they could make custom universal customs lol. That way they could fit your ear exactly except they could make the canal smaller, but matching your ear, so even with the foam tip they would be really comfortable.

Wizard from Heir offered that. Well, he offered to angle the nozzle, but still.

> But like you i've got a feeling it wouldn't convince them of my sanity.

they will smile and nod very politely though. :D

May 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #3,225 of 3,931
They might if they could hear my merlins.. but i've got miracles on the way too now.. Even I may have to concede that I have a problem.  AND if my wife found out, her polite nodding would quickly turn into head butting and castration.

well, a friend of mine said Merlin was the best pair of IEMs he'd ever heard :D ...

UMLab replied saying:

1:32 PM (36 minutes ago)

to me
Hi,
We completed your orders after labor day and informed matt and stephen.As we know,you order from them and need contact them.
We are waiting for their reply!

I have no idea what that means.... It seems like UMLab is saying they're waiting for Matt's and Stephen's approval on the order completion and shipping since the 3rd of may or something.... Which I find bizarre... apparently UMAus haven't heard from them:

edit: ooook:

2:11 PM (6 minutes ago)

to me
You need contact the agent you order,we shall send to them within a few days.
And hope you can get them soon.

To Matt's credit he did tell them he authorizes them to ship immediately but claims to not have heard from them about this.

heh.... I thought they'd ship to Matt for the UMAus order, but ship my ciem.com order directly....
gah.
Matt recons I confused them by direct contact and orders from 2 dealers. Which is probably true. Maybe UMLab was waiting for a confirmation from the two dealers, and the two dealers thought the lab was sending it out. I guess that's fair enough. Though one would hope for a bit less assuming. (and look, Stephen did follow it up during the China holidays and helped me with them initially, but neither he nor Matt checked the order in the past week+. I have a feeling Stephen probably would've checked next week?).

There also seems to be a funny pattern - as soon as you raise hell on head-fi, suddenly everyone takes minutes to email ya, not days...Amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back