Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #2,581 of 3,931
They sound nothing like flat. Really nice and punchy bass extention. Though they are a little bright.

I went back to see you chart. Yours have 3dB less lows. Beside this ours are almost the same :)

Mines not flat either, it has enough bass and just as you said, they are bright just the way I like it :cool:

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #2,582 of 3,931

Quote:
Rawster, have you posted your impressions of the LW3X6? They look so similar to mine (the FR graph I mean)

I have not posted impressions and will not do so now. They sound great right now but I want to hold my impressions until after I send them back for a slight refit and get them back so something in 6-7 weeks or so lol

Also a bit curious but when you get the chance to how do your SM3X6 compare to the JH13?

Quote:
To me they all looks the same
Let me guess, your customs has Sonion 3300 for lows DTEC for mids and TWFK for highs. That's typical configuration for 6driver upgrade. The catch is that beside TWFK driver you customs has nothing left from the original components.
It would sound more similar your universals if you added single CI22955 or Sonion 2000 insted of dual drivers.
I'm not saying that's wrong, though.

To be honest I have no clue what drivers they added. I know I originally had a TWFK and CI22955 in my customs before the upgrade and I clearly see the TWFK. I don't know what the mid and bass drivers are. At best I can see that two of the drivers are a bit smaller than the other one and it looks smaller than what I remember the CI22955 being so they might have taken it out but no idea really. Theres a sleeve around the drivers so there are no numbers or anything that I would be able to make out if it's engraved in the driver. I don't really care what drivers they used either. As long as it sounds good to me which it does that is all that matters to me.

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #2,584 of 3,931
I got my reshell JH13 this monrning after 5 weeks of waiting. I am very happy with them so far. Build quality is very good, and they fit very well into my ears.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #2,586 of 3,931
Does the dip at 500hz affect the sound?

Personally, I think it does. (or rather it depends on your sound preferences)

I have a pair of Demo UM Aero on hand,

(and keep in mind, these are loaner universal demos, not full customs)
the FR is the same as SM3x6, except without the mids dip (500hz-1.5k is straight) and there's lower end shelf boost of about 1-3db to all the frequencies below 500hz.

I find Aero to have less mids than I'd like (and consequently the highs are brighter than I like), but EQing down the lower end and the 300hz-1k range to mimic SM3x6, makes it very unpalatable for me. (it goes from 'I wish these had more lower mids, but I see why people might appreciate the sound signature' to, 'mmm I think I better take them off singe it's really not what I like/want')

If you're a mids person, I wouldn't recommend it, unless->

I wish UM offered a choice for what the end sound sig of the re-shells was (provided it's possible with the drivers you give them in your IEM and the drivers/cross-overs they have) :rolleyes:
(e.g. 'dip in the mids, bumped bass and highs', 'straight mids and bass, bumped highs'... have a look at the last few pages and you get a feeling for the general flavors. E.g. SM3x6W for warm bass and mids dip, SM3x6M - for prominent mids, SM3x6SH - straight up to highs :D )

That way they'd get a tighter match between what a customer will get from the driver upgrade and the kind of sound they prefer. (perhaps $$$ driver upgrades for custom moulded IEMs are not the best place for trying new sound sigs :D )

(p.s. plz don't kill me, Matt :D )

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #2,587 of 3,931
So more drivers you have, less flat your graph is?

I am thinking of remolding my ck10, I wonder which option should I go with without changing the airiness of the ck10. Just add bass driver or upgrade it to 6 driver setup (2low, 2mid, 2high).

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #2,590 of 3,931

Quote:
What is the base price for a remold ? I'd like to do it to my Westone UM2s.

Australian prices from uniquemelody.com.au are...

$200 - reshell
$35 - cable

plus impression costs and delivery (around $55)

Extra drivers are $110.

EDIT: This was a quote from a while ago!  See UMAus pricing below for current prices

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #2,592 of 3,931
ahh...we had better chime in!

Prices for a straight re-shell from UMAus currently vary from between $210-$260 depending on a few factors (shipping, exchange rates, domestic shipping etc)

If you want to send an order directly through to UMLab in China our prices for a straight re-shell are about $150+cable.

We do do group rates and endorsement rates, as well as the odd special every now and again.

Plus if you are nice to us...who knows what price you get?!

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #2,593 of 3,931

Quote:
Quote:

Australian prices from uniquemelody.com.au are...

$200 - reshell
$35 - cable

plus impression costs and delivery (around $55)

Extra drivers are $110.

that's not what I was quoted, but I'll let UMAus fill in
wink.gif

Yeah sorry...the prices I gave was from a quote that was given a while ago!  Please see UMAus' post above for pricing but best to send them an email anyway to get a definite quote.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #2,594 of 3,931

Quote:
ahh...we had better chime in!

Prices for a straight re-shell from UMAus currently vary from between $210-$260 depending on a few factors (shipping, exchange rates, domestic shipping etc)

If you want to send an order directly through to UMLab in China our prices for a straight re-shell are about $150+cable.

We do do group rates and endorsement rates, as well as the odd special every now and again.

Plus if you are nice to us...who knows what price you get?!

Are you guys able to clarify the details of the direct order to UMLab in China?  I'm assuming if someone went with this, they will have to pay for shipping, customs, etc plus handle the details of ordering process, etc etc.  So even though it is cheaper, I'm assuming there are risks involved?

For everyone else, I personally think the guys at UMAus are awesome and if you want the order handled properly, definitely use them!

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2,595 of 3,931
Well, UM lab has distributors like us in order to avoid communication issues and such. 

We are the North American distributor while UMAus is obviously the Australian distributor. 

We use prices that are standardized and set by UM lab, which was asked to do so by UM lab in order to provide good service and fair prices for UM customers and build up a reputable brand name at the same time. 

Website link is in my signature and contact info is on the website. 

Cheers. 

Quote:
Are you guys able to clarify the details of the direct order to UMLab in China?  I'm assuming if someone went with this, they will have to pay for shipping, customs, etc plus handle the details of ordering process, etc etc.  So even though it is cheaper, I'm assuming there are risks involved?

For everyone else, I personally think the guys at UMAus are awesome and if you want the order handled properly, definitely use them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back