Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,551 of 3,931

Still trying to burn them in. The mids were kinda recessed when I first listened to them, but it is now slowly improving. The treble still reminds me of the original SM3, which was smooth with a little bit of sparkle. Everything is cleaner, more transparent compared to the SM3 (as I remembered them).

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #2,553 of 3,931

What's with the big wooden thing?  

I'm assuming the normal one that comes with their standard black cable is a lot smaller (and plastic)?
Quote:

Joining the Unique Melody thread with my SM3X6 customs.
etysmile.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #2,558 of 3,931
Interesting! Sound signature wise has it changed much? Or is it the same just with added clarity? Also, what does it cost to upgrade to an SM3x6? 
beyersmile.png

Quote:
Still trying to burn them in. The mids were kinda recessed when I first listened to them, but it is now slowly improving. The treble still reminds me of the original SM3, which was smooth with a little bit of sparkle. Everything is cleaner, more transparent compared to the SM3 (as I remembered them).

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #2,559 of 3,931
I could still somewhat hear the shadow of the SM3. They are similar in terms of presentation, textured in the low end, and smooth (too smooth sometimes) in the high end. Soundstage is almost the same as the SM3 just a little wider, probably because of it being a custom. Coming from the JH13s, and not hearing the SM3 for quite awhile, I find the treble too recessed and the bass somewhat clouding the mids that made me resort to EQ. It's a different type of sound overall. Another brain-in is required I guess.

Quote:
Interesting! Sound signature wise has it changed much? Or is it the same just with added clarity? Also, what does it cost to upgrade to an SM3x6? 
beyersmile.png

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #2,560 of 3,931

hehe... I'm waiting for my SM3x6. Your impressions are the first mention I see of one on the net :)

Here's a side by side rescaled FR chart set for SM3x6, Miracle, Merlin.

------------------

------------------

I'm a bit scared of the relatively large mids dip for SM3x6 now. Otherwise it's looking not dissimilar to the other two (well, dissimilar to each ...on the other hand, maybe it does look dissimilar :D ):
< lets enjoy in utter speculation for lack of better things to do >

1) Looks like miracle in the highs,
2) but the mids dip looks similar to Merlin (except deeper).
3) (with the bass also looking like Miracle, but with more deep roll off :) )
4) The skewed 2k peak to 3.5 for SM3x6 is a bit concerning too. (the 2k peak looks rather intentional for the other two, and a "best effort to mimic" for SM3x6' :D ? ) <--- this point is made of 100% pure speculation, but most people are fairly sensitive in the 750hz-4khz range, so um, yea...) :D
5) Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the L/R difference on SM3x6 is > than on miracle. (in some places it looks to be about 3db at around 7khz, and a bit past 10 and 17k (!). What are the acceptable tolerances (and is it normal for highs to have larger imbalances)? Are earsonics using badly matched drivers (I emailed them asking just in case :D) and are UM using less tightly matched driver pairs on SM3x6 compared to Miracle? (here's a closer look at the miracle FR http://assets.head-fi.org/1/14/14582d27_DSC_0001.jpg . Until 10khz it's fine, after that it's all over the place as well). Or is this chart not supposed reflect LR balance accurately? (or maybe a nozzle was obscured, would be nice if UM provided a before and after pic...)

Considering I'm used to the Stax FR or SM3 with relatively prominent mids, I'm feeling very uneasy at this stage :frowning2: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/images/7/76/Stax_Lambda_Signature_FG.jpg same for the L/R difference.
I wish I could at least reduce the mids dip on my pair :frowning2: maybe to about -3.5/3 db instead of 4.5-5-6 :\ ) .

anyway, hopefully it'll be ok, and I shouldn't make conclusions about them before hearing them, but your impressions seem to corroborate depressed mids as well. That said, I had too many pairs of HP with depressed mids I didn't enjoy and couldn't get used to :frowning2: and I did have a couple of cases with channel imbalance issues, and those annoyed me quite a bit too.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #2,561 of 3,931
So, apparently I have the flattest customs out there. seriously :cool:

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #2,562 of 3,931
So, apparently I have the flattest customs out there. seriously :cool:http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/443197/unique-melody-remold-appreciation-and-impressions-thread/2550#

looks like LR are matched tighter as well. I'm a bit curious whether it sounds as upper mid/high forward as it looks? (or adjusting for your own Fletcher-Munson ELC (at let's say 65 db avg vol)
Fletcher-Munson.gif
it's ok and really sounds flat (generally around 4.5k being the largest dip?) ?

:D this is probably one of those not-so-useful exercises when we should take it to the 'sound science forum'...heh.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2,563 of 3,931
Its sounds excellent, honestly. I don`t know is it because this is my first customs but it just sounds astonishing. Mids are absolute bliss, bass is more then excellent and highs are detailed and sparkly the way I like it.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #2,564 of 3,931
I got my SF5ProX3 and TF10X4 reshells yesterday. Top notch craftmanship as usual. I'm really loving the SF5ProX3 right now. The mid and low drivers are huge. I didn't know single BA drivers were made that big. Someone just recently got a UE10 reshell done by another company and it also uses 2 simlar sized drivers for mids and lows. Big improvment over the stock SF5Pro especially in the mids and highs. So much more clarity and detail. I have't given the TF10X4 a chance yet but I will in the future. Oh yeah, no fit issues whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back