Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #2,491 of 3,931
Can you point us where it says to use a low value?  We probably need to amend this and we'll follow up on it.  Whilst we can't speak for all distributors, we (UMAus) always insure our packages, especially when they involve sending a customers universal headphones.  Our best recommendation is to use the best (usually most expensive), fastest and most secure form of postal service.  FedEX is a definite recommendation, followed by an international courier.  We wouldn't recommend not insuring your package, as if it gets lost you'll be $700+ out of pocket for the UE18's.

One thing you should do, is mark your package as a "headphone for repair".

On my order form (That I received from custom-IEM) it specifically states to put the value of the package as lower than $30, as the Chinese custom will charge heavy taxations. My email correspondent @ Custom-IEM sent me this email:

Quote:
The address of UM lab is at the bottom of the order form. 
As said, ship the package valued $30, you can insure it for the original value in case the package gets lost. 

If the order form is good, please print it out and send it together in your package.

Should I not do this? He assured that if the package does get lost, I can insure it for the original value, but I do not know if that is realistically possible.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,492 of 3,931
custom-iem and UM Australia are different. UM Australia gets packages sent to them and then they ship it to the UM lab where you ship it to China directly if you go through Stephen at custom-iem

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2,493 of 3,931
I shipped my UE Triple.Fi 10 for a remold + mid upgrade and declared them to be $30. They arrived without any damage about 2 weeks later (I shipped it with a bubble envelop and the impressions and the IEMs were simply in a cardboard box.

In any case, I doubt that it'll be possible to insure then for the proper value after the fact. I mean, if you declare it to be $30, why would they let you insure it for more, that's just non-sense.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #2,494 of 3,931

Quote:

On my order form (That I received from custom-IEM) it specifically states to put the value of the package as lower than $30, as the Chinese custom will charge heavy taxations. My email correspondent @ Custom-IEM sent me this email:

Should I not do this? He assured that if the package does get lost, I can insure it for the original value, but I do not know if that is realistically possible.

Hrrrm.  All distributors of UM products all have different ordering procedures, be it customiem, UMUK, UMAus, Jaben, Stereo, whomever.

We personally as Unique Melody Australia insure our packages so that in the case of a loss or damage we can fully reimburse our clients.  For clients that order through us from overseas locations we recommend insuring their parcels and using as expensive courier service that they can afford but let them know that we do not accept responsibility for their item until it reaches UMLab.  For people that send their impressions and headphones to us here in Melbourne, Australia, we accept full responsibility for the item once it arrives at our office.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #2,495 of 3,931
Does anybody know how much it would cost in taxation if one were to send TF10s to China (for reshelling and extra driver) if, say, one played it safe, claimed full value and insured the pkg for full price. I still don't have a clear picture of what anybody has actually done. I would appreciate it if some people here can relate their experience so that we all can know and understand the best course of action.
I for one am strongly contemplating claiming the full value b/c I don't understand how to insure the package separately and then claim a different value to Chinese customs to avoid heavy taxation, while still be insured for the whole thing? Can one really do both? I doubt it, but I'm open to suggestion. A full and clear answer will benefit many on the Headfi Forum, don't you think?

Quote:
Hrrrm.  All distributors of UM products all have different ordering procedures, be it customiem, UMUK, UMAus, Jaben, Stereo, whomever.

We personally as Unique Melody Australia insure our packages so that in the case of a loss or damage we can fully reimburse our clients.  For clients that order through us from overseas locations we recommend insuring their parcels and using as expensive courier service that they can afford but let them know that we do not accept responsibility for their item until it reaches UMLab.  For people that send their impressions and headphones to us here in Melbourne, Australia, we accept full responsibility for the item once it arrives at our office.

Quote:

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #2,496 of 3,931
We think so too, what would you like us to clarify?  UMAus has a standard procedure as outlined above (an below).  As of yet we have come across only slight customs delays and have not encountered tax issues.

Quote:
We personally as Unique Melody Australia insure our packages so that in the case of a loss or damage we can fully reimburse our clients. For clients that order through us from overseas locations we recommend insuring their parcels and using as expensive courier service that they can afford but let them know that we do not accept responsibility for their item until it reaches UMLab. For people that send their impressions and headphones to us here in Melbourne, Australia, we accept full responsibility for the item once it arrives at our office.

Key points
1. Insure and declare your item for the value it would cost you to replace.
2. Use an express courier with tracking.
3. Mark your item as an "Item for repair" - this should negate any taxes or duties upon arrival.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #2,497 of 3,931
Well, what I ask customers to do is that: 1. declare the value as $30. 2. if you are afraid of the package gets lost/damaged, insure it for the original amount. And of course, you would have to pay just a little extra for the insurance. However, out of so many customers so far, only 1 person's package was damaged by DHL, but it was dealt with accordingly. 

The thing about high value is not only about taxation, but the unreasonably long period you have to wait for the package to clear customs. 

Quote:
Does anybody know how much it would cost in taxation if one were to send TF10s to China (for reshelling and extra driver) if, say, one played it safe, claimed full value and insured the pkg for full price. I still don't have a clear picture of what anybody has actually done. I would appreciate it if some people here can relate their experience so that we all can know and understand the best course of action.
I for one am strongly contemplating claiming the full value b/c I don't understand how to insure the package separately and then claim a different value to Chinese customs to avoid heavy taxation, while still be insured for the whole thing? Can one really do both? I doubt it, but I'm open to suggestion. A full and clear answer will benefit many on the Headfi Forum, don't you think?

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #2,498 of 3,931
I sent my TF10 using the registered air mail service from italian mail company. So no insurance and no value declaration in order to avoid customs. Honestly I took a risk but custom fees on a value of 250$ are very high...

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2,500 of 3,931
How are the Beat Audio Aurora and silver sonic cables? Do the clear ones turn green after a few months? How does the sound compare to the stock westone-ish cables that um or other brands use?
I'm using an Aurora cable with Pailiccs plug ( as you can see in the shots I took of my TF10s on previous page ): the sound is overall better than stock UE cable. Soundstage is wider and middles are more forward ( keep in mind that I've a 4 driver set up ) than using UE cable.

To sum up, build quality is very very good: Pailiccs plug is golden ( not copper, as far as I can see ). The cable is plastic coated and very flexible, also has a small "reinforcement" just before the plug, in order to avoid cable deformation  ( I've broken several UE cables for this reason ).

Onestly I don't know if it will turn green, I got it last week, but I'll let you know. They're quite expensive but the alternative for me was to buy at least one UE cable every couple months, so...

These cables i saw at the audio shop have copper wire which turned completely green due to oxidation i assume ,but not sure if they are beats audio or not.

Would like to know about the SQ as well.

The transparent cables turn green due to the oxidization of the copper threads inside. These beat audio cables do not have exposed cooper wires, so they won't turn green. So, sticky, you can rest assure now.:xf_eek:

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #2,502 of 3,931

Quote:
Quote:

I just bought a UE 18 Pro off a head-fier recently, and I'm ready to reshell,  how would you send them out? I don't want them to get lost, so I thought about insuring them, but the website says to put a low value for Chinese customs. What to do?

Can you point us where it says to use a low value?  We probably need to amend this and we'll follow up on it.  Whilst we can't speak for all distributors, we (UMAus) always insure our packages, especially when they involve sending a customers universal headphones.  Our best recommendation is to use the best (usually most expensive), fastest and most secure form of postal service.  FedEX is a definite recommendation, followed by an international courier.  We wouldn't recommend not insuring your package, as if it gets lost you'll be $700+ out of pocket for the UE18's.

One thing you should do, is mark your package as a "headphone for repair".

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here so please take it easy on the newbie :p

Question:
Anyone has a TF10x3 reshelled? I dont intend to add the additional driver(as of the moment) and would like to hear some comments of users who have had their TF10 reshelled without addition of drivers before i send mine in. Cheers!

Having listened to all the TF10, TF10 reshell and the TF10x4, we strongly recommend the TF10x4 as a minimum upgrade.  Quite simply, it allows us (UM) to ensure the sound signature of the custom is as close to that of the original TF10 because we are able to put in a custom cross over, rather than just utilise the standard crossover which is tuned for a small plastic enclosure with silicone or foam tips.

Hi there, thanks for the prompt response, so judging by your post does that mean the TF10 reshell without additional driver will not be tuned to ensure original signature?  I would not mind adding a driver to make it a TFx4 but i have read from around the forums that sound stage is compromised (to what extent i am not sure), care to share your experiences further with regards to the sound of the TFx4 vs TF10? Much appreciated!

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #2,504 of 3,931

Quote:
Hi there, thanks for the prompt response, so judging by your post does that mean the TF10 reshell without additional driver will not be tuned to ensure original signature?  I would not mind adding a driver to make it a TFx4 but i have read from around the forums that sound stage is compromised (to what extent i am not sure), care to share your experiences further with regards to the sound of the TFx4 vs TF10? Much appreciated!

We do our best to tune the TF10 back to its original signature however we are limited by filter placement.  With the TF10x4 we are able to exert much more control over the final result.  In our opinion sound stage is not compromised with the TF10.  Both space and accuracy are maintained, though this may not seem the case with the increased presence of the mids.

Included below are the curves for the TF10 and TF10x4...from the charts alone, it would be clear to me which I would rather listen to!

​

​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back