Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #1,786 of 3,931

Quote:
UM3X + 3 Drivers
dt880smile.png

So you have 6 drivers inside now? How does it sound compare to the original um3x?

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #1,787 of 3,931
Thanks for the comments.

These are my initial impressions for my UM6x. Please dont fault me if i use the wrong terms :)

The bass on my UM6x are much tighter right now. If you compare the original UM3x, the bass is quite flat. I'd say that the bass is somewhere between the W3 and UM3x. One thing I've noticed is that, if you listen to the UM6x at lower levels, the bass can get a tad bloated. But when you really listen on your personal listening level, it gets tighter.

The highs are faster and you really can hear the details of the cymbals crashing as the drumstick hits. I'd say that it's just about right. comparing the highs to the UM3x, it is slightly brighter. But because of the bass, I would think that it evens it out nicely.

The mids are more forward if you're listening to a rock, live or acoustic song. The vocals are really clear as compared to the UM3x. For an electronic song, the vocals are not as forward but I can live with it.

The soundstage is definitely wider and longer in depth. height wise, I think that it is  relatively the same. At the moment, those are my impressions :)

Oh, my setup is SCSAG DIYMOD 5th Gen + SCSAG LOD with BG CAPS + iBasso D4

Cheers!

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #1,790 of 3,931
Alphaex - Congrats on your new UM6Xs. Might I inquire where those new drivers came from and how much the whole operation cost?

Thanks

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #1,791 of 3,931
hey thanks fellow SG-ian :)

I just sent to stereo and told them I wanted a 6 Driver UM3x. They told UM and the rest is history. So the other 3 drivers are from UM.

Total cost is $816SGD or roughly $590USD

$650 for reshells + 3 drivers
$66 for ES2 Cable
$50 for Postage
$50 for Impressions

All these are in SGD.

Everything took roughly a month :)

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #1,792 of 3,931
new to the forums but ive been lurkin' a while.  anywho, got some TF10's im considering turning into TF18s.  my dilemma is go with an amp first or go with the TF18s first..... decisions decisions....

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #1,794 of 3,931
alphaex - why didnt u try go thru null audio seems a cheaper option than SE
http://www.null-audio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=212&zenid=nq2pkasmspdb8dqcrsc52rq6k3
an option i`m considering

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #1,795 of 3,931
Null Audio seems like a better deal considering they also include their Enyo cable which may sounds better than the Westone cable.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #1,797 of 3,931
I think the main reason people avoid Null is that it appears since they just send to UM, that the turnaround is a bit slower.  The main reason people use Null is if they want to get one of Null's cables as part of the package it works out to be a cheaper way to get the Null cable.

If you don't want one of the Null cables, it sounds like the best value is to buy the Westone ES or UE Custom cable directly from Westone or UE.

WRT custom charges, I don't know.  I was under the impression that return shipping is part of the price, don't know if customs tacks on an additional charge on top of that.  And I know even less about how that works in the UK.  :)  Be useful if people who have previously ordered could comment.

-john

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #1,798 of 3,931
Thanks John.

I have an Enyo cable and although it sounds nice the feel puts me off using it as it isn't very flexible and there is no memory wire for over the ears. I have a couple of back up Westone ES cables for my JH13's so will use one of those for my UM's when they get here.

I asked the question about combining the Q-jays and W3's and they didn't recommend it as the drivers were too similar...... That's why I ended up with the W3's +6.

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #1,799 of 3,931
Yah you are looking at a much longer wait if you go through null audio. IMO its not worth it.

Personally I really liked the enyo for my TF10s, but I prefer the ES for my TF18s. To my ear they sound better, and the memory wire is much better than the formed sleeve on the Enyo. Also the enyo is pretty stiff (though very lightweight).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back