Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #1,621 of 3,931
just got my tf-18's back from UM... they look gorgeous. haven't had a chance to listen to them yet but they look beautiful, lol.

I got them in light blue (clear) with their blue DIY cable (the name escapers me).

Standard UE custom cable also seems to fit "ok" as well as the stock vi cable w/mic.

will post pics later.

EDIT: pics added

TF-18's pictured with UM PASTORAL cable, UE-11 Cable, TF-10vi Cable as well as a physical comparison with a clear fisher hearing remold.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #1,622 of 3,931
I'm ordering remolds for my TF10s. I inquired about the dual bore option mentioned earlier in this thread, specifically: "dual bore design will increase clarity. UM will gladly do it. Ask them to put a 680ohm white filter in the high freq soundbore."

kabang567 replied on behalf of UM: "The sound is not affected by how many bores."

Is this correct for the TF10s?

Secondly, there seem to be a lot of responses regarding cables. Will my remolds support both the stock UE cable and any cable I might later substitute (eg, Westone)? Do I need to request "custom sockets" for my remolds?

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #1,623 of 3,931
What does the 680 Ohm white filter do? What effect does it have to the high freq? As for the cables, I believe different cable manufacturers might require different sockets, hence you need to specify what cable you are going to use it with (UM will have to provide you the sockets for that, I think).

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #1,624 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by knite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm ordering remolds for my TF10s. I inquired about the dual bore option mentioned earlier in this thread, specifically: "dual bore design will increase clarity. UM will gladly do it. Ask them to put a 680ohm white filter in the high freq soundbore."

kabang567 replied on behalf of UM: "The sound is not affected by how many bores."

Is this correct for the TF10s?

Secondly, there seem to be a lot of responses regarding cables. Will my remolds support both the stock UE cable and any cable I might later substitute (eg, Westone)? Do I need to request "custom sockets" for my remolds?

I think the custom socket can fit both westone/UE/ others also. but not sure about a flush fit.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #1,626 of 3,931
hi all, just wanted to share some pictures, i got these last week from UM, within the said "20 working days upon recieving the package". i've posted the pictures as well at my local earphone forum.
atsmile.gif

SE6X3...i have them with custom sockets and es3 cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

img4842u.jpg

img4808e.jpg

img4800h.jpg

img4803v.jpg

img4828i.jpg

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #1,627 of 3,931
Hey guys, got my TF18s recently. No pictures yet, they sound really great seeing as that I'm coming from an overly bright UE700 that I've been using for the past month. Quick impressions, from what I remember, the bass is more evenly textured and the midrange is more forward than the TF10s. The sparkling highs are pretty much gone. Cymbals sounded weird on a few songs, especially the crash cymbals, (Queens of the Stone Age - 'Make It Wit Chu' and '3s and 7s'), but recently I haven't been able to recreate that effect on any other tracks.

So far, I've been really impressed with the TF18s on pop tracks, Kate Voegele's '99 Times' really shines, I think it's the pop music mastering that agrees with the TF18s. Everything else sounds good, but not jarringly outstanding like the pop tracks. Went from female vocals to jazz to melodic metal (BFMV, Children of Bodom) to alternative stuff (Placebo), everything sounded really good. However, Lunatic Calm's 'Leave You Far Behind' came out a little lacking in energy, I suspect (in agreement with godnec) that the bass response of these monitors is very clean and defined but maybe falling a bit short in quantity. The JH11 and JH13 universal demos brought out the bass a lot further to the front. With them, the bassline was in the forefront of the presentation, with the TF18s, they take a step back behind the other instruments.

I'm going to stop here... I'm going down to Jaben in a couple of days, if they're not too busy I'll listen to the universal TF10s, the JH11s and JH13s (didn't like the 16s, the bass was too overpowering and made all my music too foreign to me). Run them all through a few standard tracks, preferably one for each genre to get a feel of how they perform relative to the TF18 across the spectrum, then I'll let you guys know my findings.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #1,628 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by teren41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, got my TF18s recently. No pictures yet, they sound really great seeing as that I'm coming from an overly bright UE700 that I've been using for the past month. Quick impressions, from what I remember, the bass is more evenly textured and the midrange is more forward than the TF10s. The sparkling highs are pretty much gone. Cymbals sounded weird on a few songs, especially the crash cymbals, (Queens of the Stone Age - 'Make It Wit Chu' and '3s and 7s'), but recently I haven't been able to recreate that effect on any other tracks.

So far, I've been really impressed with the TF18s on pop tracks, Kate Voegele's '99 Times' really shines, I think it's the pop music mastering that agrees with the TF18s. Everything else sounds good, but not jarringly outstanding like the pop tracks. Went from female vocals to jazz to melodic metal (BFMV, Children of Bodom) to alternative stuff (Placebo), everything sounded really good. However, Lunatic Calm's 'Leave You Far Behind' came out a little lacking in energy, I suspect (in agreement with godnec) that the bass response of these monitors is very clean and defined but maybe falling a bit short in quantity. The JH11 and JH13 universal demos brought out the bass a lot further to the front. With them, the bassline was in the forefront of the presentation, with the TF18s, they take a step back behind the other instruments.

I'm going to stop here... I'm going down to Jaben in a couple of days, if they're not too busy I'll listen to the universal TF10s, the JH11s and JH13s (didn't like the 16s, the bass was too overpowering and made all my music too foreign to me). Run them all through a few standard tracks, preferably one for each genre to get a feel of how they perform relative to the TF18 across the spectrum, then I'll let you guys know my findings.

Congrats on getting your TF18s too! Your impressions match pretty closely with my own experience. I just received my MTPC and in terms of bass quantity they definitely have a fair bit more compared to the TF18s. Since the coppers are generally regarded as neutral with a slight bump in bass, i would say the TF18s are not bass heavy at all.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #1,629 of 3,931
Ok, i have almost read the entire thread..whew...anyone who has had the 5eb redone, do they sound the same?? Also, its 159 for remold, 279 adding an extra driver....what exactly should i expect sound wise with the additional driver? Any expereince here apreciated. I asked um, but there translations are a little "muddy"
smily_headphones1.gif
It strikes me that 279 is getting close to the cost on alien ears triples or livewires triples...so would remolded 5eb with the extra driver be as good as either of these modles? I know its a lot of questins, but for me this is a LOT of money, so i am trying to spend wisely. TIA

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #1,630 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramw5p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, i have almost read the entire thread..whew...anyone who has had the 5eb redone, do they sound the same?? Also, its 159 for remold, 279 adding an extra driver....what exactly should i expect sound wise with the additional driver? Any expereince here apreciated. I asked um, but there translations are a little "muddy"
smily_headphones1.gif
It strikes me that 279 is getting close to the cost on alien ears triples or livewires triples...so would remolded 5eb with the extra driver be as good as either of these modles? I know its a lot of questins, but for me this is a LOT of money, so i am trying to spend wisely. TIA

Read page #1.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #1,631 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsoelivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does the 680 Ohm white filter do? What effect does it have to the high freq?

Please find "Home Made IEM" topic for more information

rj_md your SE6x looks pretty nice
smily_headphones1.gif
congratz!

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #1,632 of 3,931
Revenge,

Any word on your JH13 remolds? Last I read you had the fedex tracking number.

Skoog

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #1,635 of 3,931
I have received my JH13 Pro's today, in exactly five days, via Fedex. No duties, no delays, no problems. Now before I tell you more I have to warn you about two things: first of all, I am at work for a week and my cable is at home so I can't tell you anything about the sound until Tuesday. Secondly, I'm not too bothered about it as I'm not as young as most of the people here so I'm not really desperate to give them a listen. I've had my share of great headphones, I am not easily impressed and I don't have too many expectations from a pair of IEMs (although I have thoroughly enjoyed most universals, my favourites being UM3X), be it high end. And I don't expect JH13 Pro to replace any time soon my Phonitor - Ed.8 combo.
Having said this, I will describe you my experience with UM.
I have sent an email to ask for a quote and I have received a polite answer and a quote in a reasonable English in less than 24 hours. None of the emails has been signed so I can't really tell you who I've been communicating with but the experience has been nevertheless entirely pleasant. Shortly after the emails I have sent the IEMs together with my earmoulds done in an ordinary Boots pharmacy in UK (another great experience with a phono-audilogist who didn't charge me a penny for his work, materials and time!). It took more than two weeks via Royal Mail 1st class to have the parcel delivered. Then a short email from UM - we've got the parcel, the phones and moulds look alright, we can do it, please make the payment, which I've done the next day. A few hours later another message - thank you for the payment, time to sit back, relax and...wait. And I've waited (actually I almost completely forgot about the JH13 Pro's because of an issue with my Ed.8 which is now, almost at the same time, on the way back from Ultrasone) for exactly four weeks. Then another email with the good news and a Fedex tracking number (which actually worked after about 12 hours).
Now because Im sure you're eagerly waiting, there isn't much to criticise about the outer shells, which are close to perfection in most respects, including the artwork which is exactly how I wanted it to be. The fit is perfect, there are no pressure points, no edges, although it will take a while to adapt to the tightness, seal and deep insertion.
Looking at the inner work however, there are a few things to notice. First of all the armatures are not perfectly aligned, left to right. While the original looked almost like a mirror image, the drivers inside one UM shell are placed about 3-4 mm higher and on a slightly different angle compared to the other side. I don't think it's a big issue, at least not for me since I have a small hearing deficit on one side anyway, but I thought it's worth mentioning it. Also the holes drilled in the shell are...well...hand made, one smaller, one larger comparing left to right. But these are small things and probably insignificant and, to be honest, I'd rather have a perfect fit with the above shortcomings than several earmoulds done, redone and sent to the States several times.
Unfortunately I will not be able to tell you more until Tuesday or Wednesday but, all in all, I am positively surprised and happy with the outcome, provided my new, posh IEM doesn't sound worse than UM3X. I hope not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back