Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #1,516 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wait for my Mage is agonizing. Even more so when it's estimated to ship in about 3 days' time.

I wish I could just sleep for 72 hours and wake up to the delivery guy.
o2smile.gif

Mods, can we get this thread cleaned up?
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #1,517 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAP does matter. I find that different IEMs sounded slightly different with different DAP. You can also try burn in the new TF18 for over 50-100 hrs and hear again.
darthsmile.gif

I just didn't know that the DAP can must such a huge difference. I've read about synergy between iem and source but i've always thought it was a minor difference. i sure hope that burn in would make a difference. but it seems like most ppl here agree that BAs don't really need burning in. maybe the crossover and the cable. and i think i'm somewhere in between 50-100 hrs now.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #1,518 of 3,931
Its the DAC / Amps / Circuitry used in the DAPs. I think it was mentioned somewhere before that not all DAPs are configured to optimise multiple driver type IEMs. And even for single driver IEMs, the aforementioned do make a difference I think?

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #1,519 of 3,931
He said his Zune worked well with his TF10, so it probably works fine with multiple-driver IEMs.

I'm hoping it's the burn-in. The consensus is that yeah, only the crossovers should need burning in (if they do at all). Once again, I'm skeptical :/

When I got my TF10s back from RMA after a month without them, I got used to the brighter UE700's signature and I found the TF10s a bit muddy as a result, but one day with them in my ears and I think my brain readjusted to it. What were you using while your TFs were reshelling? Maybe you got used to that signature.

EDIT: Also, how is your fit? You said isolation is good so I guess it's great, but I'll ask just in case there's a flaw somewhere in the fit that could explain it.

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #1,520 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by qodnec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just didn't know that the DAP can must such a huge difference. I've read about synergy between iem and source but i've always thought it was a minor difference. i sure hope that burn in would make a difference. but it seems like most ppl here agree that BAs don't really need burning in. maybe the crossover and the cable. and i think i'm somewhere in between 50-100 hrs now.

yup, difference should not be huge.

I remember I read that remold TF10 with added mid driver only sounded better after burn in. If possible try some different DAPs, or amps, later on.

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #1,521 of 3,931
the fit is great. very comfortable and the seal does not break even when i'm yawning or eating. Seal breaks only when i grin really really widely, which i don't do much while listening to music cos...well i'll look like an idiot.

i was using my re0s for the one month while waiting for the reshelling.

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #1,522 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by huhaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jipod, any update with your order? I'm also in Tokyo and have been thinking about getting my 530s remolded (perhaps with an upgrade) since I started having cable problems last week.

Also if I may ask how difficult was it to get the ear-molds made here in Japan? I'm guessing the best thing to do is to go to a place that specializes in doing hearing aides and asking them, but since you've already got that experience, I'd like to benefit from your prior wisdom!

Is there a particular reason you're going via Null Audio, and not directly to UM?

Thanks in advance!

I thought Suyama does remolding as well?

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #1,523 of 3,931
Quote:

Also if I may ask how difficult was it to get the ear-molds made here in Japan? I'm guessing the best thing to do is to go to a place that specializes in doing hearing aides and asking them, but since you've already got that experience, I'd like to benefit from your prior wisdom!

Most audiophiles in Tokyo make their ear impressions in "Suyama Hochouki" (•â’®Šíê–å“XE{ŽR•â’®Ší). The making cost is 5000YEN.

Btw I'm interested in SE6X3 too atm...

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #1,524 of 3,931
I've just received my remolded SuperFi 5 Pro.... UM really did a good job. They feel sturdier than the JH13 I've tried recently in Montreal Head-fi meet. Maybe because it was a demo version from JH audio. I don't know. I'm really a newbee when it comes to customs.
Sound sig is the same from what I remember.
At first I was disapointed with the SQ but it's probably because I got acustomed to my full size rig during the time my SF5 were out. It tooks exactly 1 month from the time I ship out to the time I received it.
After EQ it with my brand new S9 (had a zune 80 before, no EQ
mad.gif
), it sounds brillant !

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #1,525 of 3,931
Quote:

Jipod, any update with your order? I'm also in Tokyo and have been thinking about getting my 530s remolded (perhaps with an upgrade) since I started having cable problems last week.

Is there a particular reason you're going via Null Audio, and not directly to UM?

Thanks in advance!

Current status on my order is "under process, should be completed in another two to three weeks time". Will post further updates once available.

As others have mentioned, I got my ear impressions at 須山(Suyama). Wasn't difficult at all; call in prior to get an appointment. Was in and out in 20 or so minutes. Cost me ¥5,000+tax.

When I placed an inquiry with UM regarding remold/modification, they had instructed me to go through their Japan representative, Null Audio. If you go the same route, do not expect "Japanese service".

Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Suyama does remolding as well?

Suyama does remolding at Japanese rates. Though I'm sure they offer extremely high quality services, they are NOT CHEAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by isao2k8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most audiophiles in Tokyo make their ear impressions in "Suyama Hochouki" (•â’®Šíê–å“XE{ŽR•â’®Ší). The making cost is 5000YEN.

Btw I'm interested in SE6X3 too atm...

The wait initially was gruelling, but now just waiting. To keep me company while my SE530s where undergoing modifications, I had a set of Apple buds, an hf5, and an RE0. Wasn't happy so I purchased an ER-4P (Westones and UE aren't my cup of tea). Doesn't fit like the SE530, but offers good highs/mids and almost adequate lows.

Will keep you posted.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #1,526 of 3,931
I've emailed UM twice over the last week trying to get prices and times for remolding, and have never gotten a response. Pretty annoying.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #1,527 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I placed an inquiry with UM regarding remold/modification, they had instructed me to go through their Japan representative, Null Audio. If you go the same route, do not expect "Japanese service".

Thanks for the info, armed with this info, I will contact UM soon. I have a close friend that speaks Chinese to iron out any issues with langauge, but I wonder if they will still push to have the transaction go through Null Audio..

I'd rather deal with them directly if possible.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #1,528 of 3,931
Quote:

Thanks for the info, armed with this info, I will contact UM soon. I have a close friend that speaks Chinese to iron out any issues with langauge, but I wonder if they will still push to have the transaction go through Null Audio..

I'd rather deal with them directly if possible.

Let me know how you go with dealing direct with UM, and what pricing you end up with. If you do end up dealing direct, I think I'm going to scream "FOUL!".

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #1,529 of 3,931
Well so, I asked Sam for pictures of my Mage if it was completed - to which he then told me the estimated shipping date is April 18th. If there are no more delays, the total time taken would be 41 days from the day I shipped out my impressions.

I hope it's only my case, as 41 days is abysmally long. I thought it would have been 4 weeks at most, but it seems that he conveniently added another 10 days on top of the original estimated time of shipping.

I'm pretty annoyed, but I doubt there's anything I can do to expedite the process. Nothing to do except wait.

I can only hope that I won't require refits.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #1,530 of 3,931
My TF-11s shipped out today. Communication has been a bit challenging, and my first impressions weren't adequate; I guess I started on this project the first week of February so I can't complain as over half of the two months has been mailing time. But I am a bit doubtful that they will look like I had intended. Reviewing our e-mails, it's been borderline comical the way they respond to my inquiries. Good service though, no complaints otherwise about that. Really looking forward to see how they look/fit/sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back