Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #1,502 of 3,931
For some reason my tfs18 have really bad synergy with my zune hd so it sounds really bad. They are muddy and veiled and everything lacks definition. Will getting a good amp help? I have no experience with amps and as far as I know there are no LODs for the zune hd. And if an amp can solve this problem which amp will pair well with the zune hd and the tf18s? I realise that its very possible that I am the only one with this combination considering that most of you use ipods and the tf18 is still very rare!

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #1,503 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I am remolding ultimate ears customs with unique melody, would it change the sound signature? Is the remolding quality as good quality as ultimate ears or is it a 'downgrade' with cheaper shell?

I don't know about UE but I have read here that UM shells are the best compared with JHA and Fischer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qodnec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason my tfs18 have really bad synergy with my zune hd so it sounds really bad. They are muddy and veiled and everything lacks definition. Will getting a good amp help? I have no experience with amps and as far as I know there are no LODs for the zune hd. And if an amp can solve this problem which amp will pair well with the zune hd and the tf18s? I realise that its very possible that I am the only one with this combination considering that most of you use ipods and the tf18 is still very rare!

Maybe your TF18 need some more burnin time for the drivers and cable.
Have you tried it with a different source? I would try that first before looking for an amp and LOD. An amp and LOD can make your Zune sound better but if your TF18 is really that bad even with other sources, an amp and LOD wouldn't help either.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #1,504 of 3,931
That was what i thought at first too. But when i tried it straight out of my desktop's integrated sound card and it sounded much better. That's why i'm sure its bad synergy between the tf18s and my zune, which is unfortunate since the zune sounds great with the tf10s and my re0. I have searched around and it seems like there is no LOD for the zune hd, so i'm not sure if an amp can remedy bad synergy when used straight out of the zune's hp out.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #1,505 of 3,931
The wait for my Mage is agonizing. Even more so when it's estimated to ship in about 3 days' time.

I wish I could just sleep for 72 hours and wake up to the delivery guy.
o2smile.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #1,506 of 3,931
Quote:

This is disheartening to hear. I just sent in my TFs to be remolded into TF18s too, through Stereo Electronics (I'm a fellow Singaporean (
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe the impedance of the TF18s increased due to the additional drivers? Kind of like how the 600 ohm DT880s would sound muddy through a DAP unamped. I really hope the sound didn't go downhill! Through your computer, how would you say the sound compared to your original TF10s?

I'm so sorry I can't give any recommendations about the amp... You should check out the classifieds section on the Jaben forums, there are quite a number of people looking to sell their portable amps at a very good price. I hope you manage to salvage your portable rig, bro.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #1,507 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wait for my Mage is agonizing. Even more so when it's estimated to ship in about 3 days' time.

They got your impressions on the 16th and finished ETA on the 8th? Did you pay extra or something? They received my imps on the 8th of march and absolutely no news whatsoever
confused_face.gif

ps: begging pardon to OP, tbh I prefer to this on the Mage thread but it's somewhat related.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #1,508 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by teren41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is disheartening to hear. I just sent in my TFs to be remolded into TF18s too, through Stereo Electronics (I'm a fellow Singaporean (
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe the impedance of the TF18s increased due to the additional drivers? Kind of like how the 600 ohm DT880s would sound muddy through a DAP unamped. I really hope the sound didn't go downhill! Through your computer, how would you say the sound compared to your original TF10s?

I'm so sorry I can't give any recommendations about the amp... You should check out the classifieds section on the Jaben forums, there are quite a number of people looking to sell their portable amps at a very good price. I hope you manage to salvage your portable rig, bro.

i'm not sure how the impedance or the sensitivity changed but they're definitely very easy to drive. i'm listening to a much lower volume setting now. part of it might be attributed to the better isolation, but even in completely quite places i'm still listening to a lower volume.

i can't do a comparison between the TF10s and the TF18s out of my computer as i've never tried the TF10s through my com as they sounded so good out of my zune.

the question now is whether an amp can rectify bad synergy without using an LOD.

looks like i have to go down to jaben or stereo to try out a few amps. but that will have to wait as my exams are looming. but it's hard to study when i know at the back of my mind that i'm not getting the best out of my TF18s
angry_face.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #1,509 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by fidele-caput /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They got your impressions on the 16th and finished ETA on the 8th? Did you pay extra or something? They received my imps on the 8th of march and absolutely no news whatsoever
confused_face.gif

ps: begging pardon to OP, tbh I prefer to this on the Mage thread but it's somewhat related.

I sent my impressions on the 8th of March by EMS. Paid a hefty amount for 2-3 days delivery to China, but it seems as if the customs there held it. Sam only said they received my impressions on the 16th of March.

I emailed him a lot though, asking about the progress. Not much help, considering the language barrier -- he would just say "your mage are progressing".

The last email I received said:

"Hi adrian,
Your package arrival in Mar,13,and expected shipping date is Apr 8.
Sound quality first,and need 25 days.
Regards,
UM"

Not sure why he said 13th of March, as he previously only confirmed it to be the 16th.

Can't wait.
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #1,510 of 3,931
Quote:

i'm not sure how the impedance or the sensitivity changed but they're definitely very easy to drive. i'm listening to a much lower volume setting now. part of it might be attributed to the better isolation, but even in completely quite places i'm still listening to a lower volume.

i can't do a comparison between the TF10s and the TF18s out of my computer as i've never tried the TF10s through my com as they sounded so good out of my zune.

the question now is whether an amp can rectify bad synergy without using an LOD.

looks like i have to go down to jaben or stereo to try out a few amps. but that will have to wait as my exams are looming. but it's hard to study when i know at the back of my mind that i'm not getting the best out of my TF18s
angry_face.gif

Hmmm then obviously impedance is probably not the problem.

What confuses me is why a particular DAP makes such a terrific difference. Have you tested the TF18 out of any other DAP? I've never really compared the SQ of different DAPs, so perhaps I'm ignorant in this matter, but I'm skeptical about the difference they make (as well as cables, lol). I'm worried that this problem you're having affects DAPs all around, not just your Zune.

Well, whether or not it can rectify the problem without the LOD is dependent on where the factors that cause the lack of synergy lie in the signal path. Obviously there is no way to test this, so your only choice is, as you said, to go and test a couple of amps. Or if it really is the Zune in particular that's causing the problem, you should test the TF18s on your friends' DAPs too.

Best of luck for the exams, by the way.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #1,511 of 3,931
Quote:

Hmmm then obviously impedance is probably not the problem.

What confuses me is why a particular DAP makes such a terrific difference. Have you tested the TF18 out of any other DAP? I've never really compared the SQ of different DAPs, so perhaps I'm ignorant in this matter, but I'm skeptical about the difference they make (as well as cables, lol). I'm worried that this problem you're having affects DAPs all around, not just your Zune.

Well, whether or not it can rectify the problem without the LOD is dependent on where the factors that cause the lack of synergy lie in the signal path. Obviously there is no way to test this, so your only choice is, as you said, to go and test a couple of amps. Or if it really is the Zune in particular that's causing the problem, you should test the TF18s on your friends' DAPs too.

Best of luck for the exams, by the way.

i never knew that a DAP can make such a huge difference either. I tried my friend's nano for a short while and it seemed slightly better. but with different music as well as quality of the music files i couldn't do an objective comparison. I will try again when i have the chance to.

well thanks! i will need all the luck i can get. so screwed. lol.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #1,512 of 3,931
Quote:

i never knew that a DAP can make such a huge difference either. I tried my friend's nano for a short while and it seemed slightly better. but with different music as well as quality of the music files i couldn't do an objective comparison. I will try again when i have the chance to.

'Slightly better' isn't at all reassuring lol. If it didn't produce a significant improvement, I really doubt other DAPs will result in a significant improvement either. Damn, this is worrying.

Anyway, make sure to let us all know if amping the TF18s does the trick when you get around to trying it eh.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #1,513 of 3,931
Quote:

'Slightly better' isn't at all reassuring lol. If it didn't produce a significant improvement, I really doubt other DAPs will result in a significant improvement either. Damn, this is worrying.

Anyway, make sure to let us all know if amping the TF18s does the trick when you get around to trying it eh.

sorry if i have caused anyone to worry. i shall not comment anymore till i have conclusive results. thanks for your help so far teren!

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #1,514 of 3,931
Jipod, any update with your order? I'm also in Tokyo and have been thinking about getting my 530s remolded (perhaps with an upgrade) since I started having cable problems last week.

Also if I may ask how difficult was it to get the ear-molds made here in Japan? I'm guessing the best thing to do is to go to a place that specializes in doing hearing aides and asking them, but since you've already got that experience, I'd like to benefit from your prior wisdom!

Is there a particular reason you're going via Null Audio, and not directly to UM?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #1,515 of 3,931
Quote:

DAP does matter. I find that different IEMs sounded slightly different with different DAP. You can also try burn in the new TF18 for over 50-100 hrs and hear again.
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back