Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #946 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So did you get your remolds done with them? How much did you pay, usd159?

Yeah, I attempted to make my own design with UM, they said ok - 90 bucks. After they got my impressions and drivers they said they couldn't make it according to my design. They couldn't have said why. Then said that if I wanted it made my way this would be additional $200 plus for remolding serivce 159. I was pissed off. So i decided to let them make my IEM as they want. Strange, cause my design had scheme how I want drivers to be wired and got calculated crossover, but they seem to like to double their work. Basically they asked me $200 for the work I did designing my IEMs.
So I asked them if they could have made me ES3x from those driver I'd sent. They said this will be additional 200 as well. Eventually I though that their design can't go far from ES3x, so I went the cheapest way. Assuming they will sound 95% od ES3x.
Then was the cables issue. I stated Westone ES cable in my order form. Then I though it'd be nice to have clear UE cable. So they informed my that it costs addtional $60. I didn't know that earlier. Now I'm going to make DIY cables for half that price...

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #948 of 3,931
Hi ,
You only use own crossover design for our custom to ensure the sound quality.
Regards,
Um

Hi,

thanks for replying. May i know what this new " UM special design" is?

Thanks

what does this mean??

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #949 of 3,931
When you put WE instead of YOU it seems to have a point. But still this means nothing except that they use crossovers
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #951 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would still pay the money for UM over Fisher just because of the way they look. Just me though.

Yeah, that's what UM have thought. There're people that don't mind paying twice as much as Fisher charges, and don't mind poor customer service. As I said "they will pay, no metter the cost". But this won't work for a longer time. There will be new manufactures whose IEM built quality will be no worse than UM, for less.
Tell me, is more shiny shell, fq graph and poor customer service worth additional 50-60 bucks?

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #952 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrus-g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's what UM have thought. There're people that don't mind paying twice as much as Fisher charges, and don't mind poor customer service. As I said "they will pay, no metter the cost". But this won't work for a longer time. There will be new manufactures whose IEM built quality will be no worse than UM, for less.
Tell me, is more shiny shell, fq graph and poor customer service worth additional 50-60 bucks?

Yeah there will be new manufactures with the same quality but till then i wouldnt consider anyone else. To me a way better quality shell, great craftsmanship, and quality is worth 50 or 60 bucks. Thats just me though. It may not be worth it to you if not then go with Fisher. Fisher is a long way from coming close to the stunning looks of UM so yes if i get a remold i will continue to go to UM for business. As for the quality of customer service yes it is well below satisfactory, but if you keep sending them emails they will get back to you eventually. I had my frustrations with them but am still very happy i went the route i did. To some looks dont matter as much, but to me they do.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #953 of 3,931
The pricing is $159.00 for UM versus $87.50 for Fisher shipped to the door. That is a huge price difference and almost half the cost!

I was debating between both and aesthetically UM may be nicer. Functionally they seem equal. I would be very curious to seem them compared side by side. When you factor in Fisher being a US company, a 90-day fit guarantee, faster turnaround, and Fisher always answers phone calls the decision became easy. When my custom IEMs are delivered in about a week I'll see if it was the right choice.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #956 of 3,931
No they will have a d sound because the orbitals are in the order s , p, d , f . So I'm guessing the next upgrade from the p sound is the d sound . But obviously as you are Talking the fourth level. I think the sound might be a 4s sound as the s sound is easier to achieve than the d sound and is lower in energy .
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #958 of 3,931
Seriously though, they quoted me $90 around Christmas. Understanding their turnaround times, there was no chance of me receiving this price. I fully realize their customer service failings, but I don't think it's fair to attribute this sudden price hike to a language barrier. Quoting a price and then charging more while holding someone's property ransom is fundamentally dishonest. I've been pretty disappointed with my experience thus far.

I'm still holding out that they will arrive and be so beautiful that I will forget my displeasure, but I'll probably use Fisher in the future.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #960 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I they quoted you it, i think they'll be more than happy to do the price for you.

Wish it were so, but no go, even though i quoted their email in my reply to them.
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back