Unique Melody MEXT Announcement and Impression Thread
Jan 26, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #46 of 298
He might not like its tuning. But that does mean EVO is worse. i do prefer Mests over EVO tonally myself purely due to treble roll off, but EVO technically is better than MK2... Better resolution, wider staging, better bass speed. And in general EVOs bass is very Unique and physical with good extension.
When Mexts BCD only goes to 200hz it should be barely affecting bass. So it must relly on DD to do it...
This is just mu speculation and i am not throwing mud on Mext. I just doubt those 2 iems will be on same technical level over all. Even though i would not mind that at all haha

I don't doubt it. If an IEM is "better", it should also be tonally better. Bad tuning is usually a technical issue. Ie. If the Evo was tuned properly, the mids may be congested.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #47 of 298
Since I had the opportunity to audition UM MEXT for a few days, Thanks to Musicteck, I decided to post a little write up about it. But as soon as I mentioned that I heard MEXT, I got a ton of questions asking me how it compares to Mest MKII and Indigo. So, I decided to write something different from my usual mini-reviews, breaking down the comparison between these into Bass/Lower Mids/Upper Mids/Treble and Soundstage categories. Please keep in mind, when I say “=” or ”>”, I don’t mean it as one being the same or better than the other. It is all relative to how I hear it, and under each category I have a short write up with a more detailed explanation.

Mest MKII vs Indigo vs MEXT

Bass: MEXT > Indigo = MKII

When it comes to bass comparison between these 3, it is all about the perception. MEXT bass sounds more elevated, with more weight and stronger impact due to its warmer tonality, less forward mids, and smoother treble. Indigo and MKII have similar low end response and due to their more revealing tonality, as well as Indigo's more forward mids, their bass perception is lower in quantity when compared to MEXT.

Lower Mids: MEXT > Indigo > MKII

In terms of the amount of body and tonality, MEXT lower mids are the fullest and the warmest in comparison to Indigo lower mids being a little north of neutral and MKII being closer to neutral.

Upper Mids: Indigo > MEXT = MKII

Indisputably, Indigo has more forward upper mids which shape its sound sig to be more balanced. MEXT and MKII upper mids are nearly the same in quantity, but MEXT sounds smoother because of its less aggressive treble, while MKII upper mids/vocals are brighter and more revealing due to its more energetic treble.

Treble: MKII > Indigo > MEXT

MKII treble is the brightest, being more crisp and more energetic. Indigo treble quantity is the same as MKII, but due to a more forward upper mids, its treble sounds less aggressive. MEXT is the smoothest due to a more attenuated mid-treble response since it is lacking EST drivers. MEXT treble is not rolled off or “missing”, it's still detailed and has a good definition, presence, and clarity. But its tonality is noticeably smoother in comparison to Indigo and MKII, making MEXT less fatigue in longer listening sessions.

Soundstage: MEXT = Indigo > MKII

MEXT soundstage is as wide open and as holographic as Indigo, but it also adds a little bit of reverberation effect on top of it, especially noticeable when you hit the pause in the middle of the playback when you hear the tail of the reverb. In comparison, MKII soundstage sounds a bit intimate due to having more depth than width. By itself, MKII soundstage is wide, but not on the same level as MEXT and Indigo.

Thanks for this. Could, or rather, would you mind commenting on the fit? They do indeed appear to be the chunkier of the 3. I saw another Comment that they appeared to be about the size of the 3DT, which I have in my ears now and a comment from you re the sizing in comparison would be helpful. I've had MEST, but not indigo... Where does Mext sit in relation? Thanks!

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #48 of 298
So, any thoughts on a MEXT review tour? See if it is actually better than some more expensive models or not. If you guys are interested, I am going to start a registration form tonight:beerchug:.
I'd be in for that, here in Canada. Could even help organize it.......

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #49 of 298
So, any thoughts on a MEXT review tour? See if it is actually better than some more expensive models or not. If you guys are interested, I am going to start a registration form tonight:beerchug:.
OK I will make my life easier. This is a NA based mini tour. If you are interested simply PM me, with a link to your previous reviews. All rules are the same as the MEST tour.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #50 of 298
Thanks for this. Could, or rather, would you mind commenting on the fit? They do indeed appear to be the chunkier of the 3. I saw another Comment that they appeared to be about the size of the 3DT, which I have in my ears now and a comment from you re the sizing in comparison would be helpful. I've had MEST, but not indigo... Where does Mext sit in relation? Thanks!

When I had MEXT with me for that mini-review, the fit was fine relative to my ears. Also, sorry, not familiar with 3DT. And I tried to capture in side-by-side pictures from different angles how all 3 compare to each other. MEXT is a little bigger, and all 3 have a different angle of the nozzle.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #51 of 298
9A8397AB-4B43-4FC5-B822-4C0C867B1DD8.jpeg

So these beauties just landed today. A big thanks to @MusicTeck for the usual excellent service. 2 days USA to Ireland.

As there aren’t many impressions at the moment, I thought it may be useful to post some first impressions.

The Mext shells are beautiful with very good build quality. Shells are bigger than Mest MKii but not excessively so. From memory they are more or less the same dimension of S-EM9 and slightly smaller than Anole V14. Smaller than Mest og.
They are very comfortable and it’s easy to get a good seal but the signature and the bass quantity change quite a bit with tips and insertion. However, it’s easier to get contact with the bone conduction plate since my understanding is that is placed underneath the shells (and not on the inside like mest og and mkii)

Still playing with tips but here some first sound impressions out of Shanling M8 with stock large silicon tips.

These Mext slam. And slam hard. My main issue with mest mkii (and even more with mest og) was that the bass was there but did not have that typical dd impact. With Mext that’s not the case, sub bass and bass are present and elevated. Now the fun thing is that with other tips I tried (xelastec, spiral dots or even stock silicon medium tips) the bass quantity and slam decreased quite noticeably so basically you can fine tune the Mext just with some tips rolling. From memory the mids remind me of the mest mk ii mids, just slightly smoother. Still spacious and airy. Treble is on the smoother side but present. Soundstage appear to be wider and holographic. All in all after testing them for a couple of hours I must say I prefer them to mest og and they are comparable to mest mkii if you know what you want. If you want a slightly smoother listening with punchier bass, airy mids and smooth but present treble Mext may be a better choice than mkii. It is for me.

If you want a more sparkly iem with less bass slam and less sub bass, mkii should suit you better.

All in all I find the Mext more fun than mkii with bigger soundstage and a smoother more pleasant listening experience. Your mileage may vary :)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #52 of 298

So these beauties just landed today. A big thanks to @MusicTeck for the usual excellent service. 2 days USA to Ireland.

As there aren’t many impressions at the moment, I thought it may be useful to post some first impressions.

The Mext shells are beautiful with very good build quality. Shells are bigger than Mest MKii but not excessively so. From memory they are more or less the same dimension of S-EM9 and slightly smaller than Anole V14. Smaller than Mest og.
They are very comfortable and it’s easy to get a good seal but the signature and the bass quantity change quite a bit with tips and insertion. However, it’s easier to get contact with the bone conduction plate since my understanding is that is placed underneath the shells (and not on the inside like mest og and mkii)

Still playing with tips but here some first sound impressions out of Shanling M8 with stock large silicon tips.

These Mext slam. And slam hard. My main issue with mest mkii (and even more with mest og) was that the bass was there but did not have that typical dd impact. With Mext that’s not the case, sub bass and bass are present and elevated. Now the fun thing is that with other tips I tried (xelastec, spiral dots or even stock silicon medium tips) the bass quantity and slam decreased quite noticeably so basically you can fine tune the Mext just with some tips rolling. From memory the mids remind me of the mest mk ii mids, just slightly smoother. Still spacious and airy. Treble is on the smoother side but present. Soundstage appear to be wider and holographic. All in all after testing them for a couple of hours I must say I prefer them to mest og and they are comparable to mest mkii if you know what you want. If you want a slightly smoother listening with punchier bass, airy mids and smooth but present treble Mext may be a better choice than mkii. It is for me.

If you want a more sparkly iem with less bass slam and less sub bass, mkii should suit you better.

All in all I find the Mext more fun than mkii with bigger soundstage and a smoother more pleasant listening experience. Your mileage may vary :)
How much did they cost you in total? I'm in Dublin so wondering how much it'll cost with import charges etc.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #53 of 298

Good to hear your impressions, and indeed to find more people from Ireland here... not many of us!

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #54 of 298
Good to hear your impressions, and indeed to find more people from Ireland here... not many of us!

I’m actually italian but I’ve been living in Ireland for the past 10 years so I consider myself part irish :)

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #55 of 298
I’m actually italian but I’ve been living in Ireland for the past 10 years so I consider myself part irish :)

Yes I think 10 years qualifies :)

Agreed also on Musicteck, always a pleasure to deal with and incredibly fast service.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #56 of 298
Jan 27, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #57 of 298
Well, I guess I was one of the lucky few that pre-ordered these from MusicTeck and after owning them for several days now, have just posted my review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/unique-melody-mext-a-unique-taste-of-bone-conduction.25639/reviews

I generally agree with @HarlanDraka above. These are special!

Great review. I agree 100%. I just switched to epro tips for wireless iems for a deeper fit. The holographic soundstage is very very apparent. The soundstage is deep, wide and also extend pretty high. And no fatigue. Yes, these are special iems. But not for lovers of neutral or analytical iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back