Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Sep 22, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #754 of 7,302
I did a quick unboxing video of the MEST Custom:

Here's a graph of the custom MEST I received from UM (using IEC711 coupler and deeper insertion simulation):
UM MEST CIEM.png

One thing to note about the MEST in general (Universal or Custom) is that it is sensitive to output impedance, even at low impedance changes. Here's a graph of the same custom unit at < 1 ohm (Apple Dongle), 2.7 ohm (IEMatch), 20 Ohm and 75 Ohm impedance using adapters:

UM MEST CIEM OI.png

Bass will go up and mids and upper treble will go down as impedance changes

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #755 of 7,302

Here's a graph of the custom MEST I received from UM (using IEC711 coupler and deeper insertion simulation):
UM MEST CIEM.png

One thing to note about the MEST in general (Universal or Custom) is that it is sensitive to output impedance, even at low impedance changes. Here's a graph of the same custom unit at < 1 ohm (Apple Dongle), 2.7 ohm (IEMatch), 20 Ohm and 75 Ohm impedance using adapters:

UM MEST CIEM OI.png

You no longer have a UIEM MEST to measure with impedance changes do you? I’m very curious how it would measure. I’m awaiting 20 Ohm and 75 Ohm impedance adapters, and will try it on the MEST, but I’m curious how it would measure.

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #756 of 7,302

UM MEST CIEM.png

UM MEST CIEM OI.png

I could have sworn I saw a metal splitter on the cable. If so, why not on the universal as well instead of a piece of shrink? I think the Japanese model also has a metal splitter, but please confirm if not.

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #757 of 7,302
You no longer have a UIEM MEST to measure with impedance changes do you? I’m very curious how it would measure. I’m awaiting 20 Ohm and 75 Ohm impedance adapters, and will try it on the MEST, but I’m curious how it would measure.

I do not have it still. I will be borrowing it from @Darthpool I think. He may not know that yet, but I'd like to do a comparison review between the Custom and the Universal in the near future. I believe the impedance change is the same on the Universal from memory.

I could have sworn I saw a metal splitter on the cable. If so, why not on the universal as well instead of a piece of shrink? I think the Japanese model also has a metal splitter, but please confirm if not.

It is the same cable and the same splitter (and chin strap) - it's a piece of heat shrink. While the cable looks nice and is made of nice materials (besides the splitter and chin strap), I think it's a little too stiff and thick for normal usage for me.

The Mini MEST cable is a thinner version which is easier to use, though still a tad too stiff.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #758 of 7,302
It is the same cable and the same splitter (and chin strap) - it's a piece of heat shrink. While the cable looks nice and is made of nice materials (besides the splitter and chin strap), I think it's a little too stiff and thick for normal usage for me.

The Mini MEST cable is a thinner version which is easier to use, though still a tad too stiff.

Thank you for the correction. For most people, I imagine the 10 cents worth of shrink used is of no matter, but on a $1,400 product, all this does is make me wonder what other cost savings did UM employ. 🤔

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #759 of 7,302

UM MEST CIEM.png

UM MEST CIEM OI.png

Can we please get a video with you discussing the MEST. I love to hear people thoughts on the Mest.

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #760 of 7,302
Can we please get a video with you discussing the MEST. I love to hear people thoughts on the Mest.
If you can handle a lot of sarcasm, some curse words and a lot of ranting... We did a 4 person live podcast discussion on the universal MEST a few weeks ago. I believe even UM rep here tuned into it.

Keep in mind, the main host of the show Rush loves the qdc VX and Sony Z1R and is ultra picky on everything and also says a lot of sarcasm before you turn this on :wink:

It also features Toranku who is a community member on headfi as well

Sep 22, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #761 of 7,302
If you can handle a lot of sarcasm, some curse words and a lot of ranting... We did a 4 person live podcast discussion on the universal MEST a few weeks ago. I believe even UM rep here tuned into it.

Keep in mind, the main host of the show Rush loves the qdc VX and Sony Z1R and is ultra picky on everything and also says a lot of sarcasm before you turn this on :wink:

It also features Toranku who is a community member on headfi as well

Will check it out. Thanks

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #762 of 7,302
...the MEST has a black background from which sharp details emerge from a holographic stage that sounds almost 360, this preciseness with percussion is uncanny, very 3D, anyway, first impression, just arrived today...)

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #765 of 7,302
I do not have it still. I will be borrowing it from @Darthpool I think. He may not know that yet, but I'd like to do a comparison review between the Custom and the Universal in the near future. I believe the impedance change is the same on the Universal from memory.

What’s mine is yours :wink: just let me know when you want to meet up =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back