Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Sep 15, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #721 of 7,306
Yes, it is a fact that his is quite a bit larger and heavier than mine, however it is our hypothesis that since it is larger, it has more air volume, hence the variation in FR. We need to graph more customs (we will over the week hopefully) before we can come to any conclusion.
The size of a CIEM shell shouldn’t make a significant difference with “traditional” CIEM designs...meaning where all drivers are producing sound through tubes, however, the BC driver is really an uncertain variable I think. I‘m hesitant to get the MEST in a CIEM just due to my ear anatomy. That and the fact that the UIEM just sounds so spectacular to me.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #722 of 7,306
The size of a CIEM shell shouldn’t make a significant difference with “traditional” CIEM designs...meaning where all drivers are producing sound through tubes, however, the BC driver is really an uncertain variable I think. I‘m hesitant to get the MEST in a CIEM just due to my ear anatomy. That and the fact that the UIEM just sounds so spectacular to me.
Though through graphing both Crin and my customs (both Crin and Leneo graphed both), there is a rather significant variation in the FR, hence why we would like to graph more to test the theory.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #723 of 7,306
Though through graphing both Crin and my customs (both Crin and Leneo graphed both), there is a rather significant variation in the FR, hence why we would like to graph more to test the theory.
Absolutely! I find that rather fascinating. I’m glad you guys are researching it more.

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #725 of 7,306
So far, I find the treble on the UIEM sublime. Though there is a ton of treble detail, I don’t find it bright or harsh. I think I’m gonna stick with the UIEM, at least for a while. Interestingly, the CIEM measured and sounded quite different for Crinacle, though I have no idea how representative measurements with a BC driver are.

I'm personally intrigued by how you can one might capture and combine the result of the usual frequency response measurement with bone conduction drivers measurement. For one, I would assume that you need a vibration sensor with a good solid coupling with the shell. The usual vibration sensors are for low frequencies below 100Hz so maybe some kind of Piezo pickup is needed. And then, I think you would need to decouple the microphones from the shell/coupler/attachment so as not to pick up any vibration from the bone conduction driver. So the microphone needs to be suspended like a studio mic which is not typical with these measurement rigs. It seems like you need something very different... It's probably a topic for another thread but it makes me curious how UM figured this out.

On topic, I'm getting a kick out of this track. Incredible realism to the cymbals, snare, toms, bass, and the bite from the guitar with MEST.

* Minor text edit for clarification underlined

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #727 of 7,306
Sep 16, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #729 of 7,306
Same 2 pin but not reversed polarity.
So are QDC connectors reversed polarity, or are they normal? If buying a cable for Mest, should I select QDC or .78mm? Thanks for your time.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #731 of 7,306
Qdc 2 pins are reversed polarity.
Thanks! I have always wondered about that. So, it is best to use QDC connectors wiring up the normal way (not reversed). Cheers.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #732 of 7,306
So are QDC connectors reversed polarity, or are they normal? If buying a cable for Mest, should I select QDC or .78mm? Thanks for your time.
Official qdc connectors are reversed polarity, whereas some IEMs have the same shape of connector, but the same polarity as tradition 2 pin connectors. FWIW, as long as I connect R and L sides the same, I have never had a polarity issue cause sound problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back