Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,636 of 7,306
Thanks! Sounds like a nice complimentary set to MEST!

It really is, and ill have the VE Elysium and V8 arriving shortly from the tour, hopefully, I don't fall in love (one of my kidneys may be on the line)!

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #1,637 of 7,306
It really is, and ill have the VE Elysium and V8 arriving shortly from the tour, hopefully, I don't fall in love (one of my kidneys may be on the line)!

Nice! That would be an amazing four way! I know my little brain won't be able to handle so many at once, lol :) Please come back and tell us more when you form some impressions!

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #1,638 of 7,306
Nice! That would be an amazing four way! I know my little brain won't be able to handle so many at once, lol :) Please come back and tell us more when you form some impressions!

Will do, can't wait to hear them!

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #1,639 of 7,306
Got the MEST a few days ago. It's the second IEM in my collection. I also have an U12t. Just wanted to share my experience so far:

Bought it from MusicTeck with no issues. Even though they are based in the US, they delivered it in just a few days to the UK.

I've seen a few MEST reviews mention that it's very tip-dependent and that's *very true.* I initially used the included silicon tips and was very disappointed at first. Luckily, I have a good collection of tips (various SpinFits models and sizes, Spiral Dot, Final Type E, Comply) and they all sounded very different. The MEST need a *very snug* fit otherwise the bass sounds very lean. Even though I generally prefer single-flange silicon tips, the double-flange and foam tips got me an ideal seal. The double-flange tips were not comfortable for me so I went with Comply foams. Your experience my vary, of course.

In terms of sound, the main highlights are detail and imaging. It has a v-shaped sound but mids are not too recessed for my taste. Bass is present and well defined. Compared to the U12t, I still prefer the tonal balance of the U12t but the MEST has more detail on the bass and mids. I consider it a nice complement to the U12t, which exactly what I was looking for.

All in all, super happy with the MEST, especially when listening to instrumental jazz due to solid bass and the extra detail.

I wonder how the MEST compares with IEMs like Clairvoyance and Z1R, which were other options that I considered. Has anyone heard those and have impressions to share?

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #1,640 of 7,306
Hi all so I just got the original Andromeda, IMR Semper, Aether ears R essential, and and UM mest. The Andromedas are the best I've ever heard in my 40 iem collection. The IMR is great and adds some bass heft. The Lime Ears are anemic. What I'm shocked by is that everyone loves the Mest. I don't get it. I'm a soundstage head and these were supposed to be the best. They are unbearably bright and weak in the mid bass. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone else feel ripped off by the hype? The andromeda is light years better. Looking for some tips if I'm just crazy. I replaced the regular cable with a standard 2 pin. I put dekoni bullets on. Is the um marked side the right or left? Probably going to sell unless there are tricks or burn in required because this is not what I expected. Please help peeps!

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,641 of 7,306
Hi all so I just got the original Andromeda, IMR Semper, Aether ears R essential, and and UM mest. The Andromedas are the best I've ever heard in my 40 iem collection. The IMR is great and adds some bass heft. The Lime Ears are anemic. What I'm shocked by is that everyone loves the Mest. I don't get it. I'm a soundstage head and these were supposed to be the best. They are unbearably bright and weak in the mid bass. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone else feel ripped off by the hype? The andromeda is light years better. Looking for some tips if I'm just crazy. I replaced the regular cable with a standard 2 pin. I put dekoni bullets on. Is the um marked side the right or left? Probably going to sell unless there are tricks or burn in required because this is not what I expected. Please help peeps!

Just a thought but it might be that MEST is not your preferred signature. I have Andro v2 and it's a very different tuning. Andro and Solaris that I have tried have lifted 2k-5k mid-range compared to MEST. Looking up IMR Semper frequency response (I have not heard this FYI), this also has an elevated 2k-5k range. I tend to stay away from such tunings (just my preference) as they tend to sound too forward and wonky for me. IMO, MEST is more of a W-tuning with tamed 2k-5k range. So if you got a tight seal and still not working out, maybe it's not a tuning for you? Did you try a warmer all copper cable?

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #1,643 of 7,306
Well what do you feel about foam vs silicone. I have demonic bullets and spin fit? I just find silicone makes my ears itchy
I use silicone ear tips the most, but with the MEST, using foam tips serves multiple purposes. 1st, it tames the upper treble a little, so it doesn’t sound as splashy to me. 2nd, I can insert the IEM deep. 3rd, it prevents any driver flex. A full foam tip attenuates the treble too much for me, and makes the MEST lose a lot of its special qualities, so I trim it, to about 2/3 length, with no foam overhang. I like Tenmak foam tips by far the best, plus they’re inexpensive. They are available on AliEx and Amazon.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #1,645 of 7,306
I'm always silicone tips, Azla SednaEarfit Light or Xelastic. The only time I use foam is when I fly, which I haven't done with MEST. How about wide bore vs narrow bore? I also remember stock tip with teal core has wider expansive stage.

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #1,646 of 7,306

Try some foam, and if you aren't hearing the DD flex, you aren't getting a tight seal, without it the MEST sound anemic and tizzy.

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #1,647 of 7,306
Just a thought but it might be that MEST is not your preferred signature. I have Andro v2 and it's a very different tuning. Andro and Solaris that I have tried have lifted 2k-5k mid-range compared to MEST. Looking up IMR Semper frequency response (I have not heard this FYI), this also has an elevated 2k-5k range. I tend to stay away from such tunings (just my preference) as they tend to sound too forward and wonky for me. IMO, MEST is more of a W-tuning with tamed 2k-5k range. So if you got a tight seal and still not working out, maybe it's not a tuning for you? Did you try a warmer all copper cable?
I'm always silicone tips, Azla SednaEarfit Light or Xelastic. The only time I use foam is when I fly, which I haven't done with MEST. How about wide bore vs narrow bore? I also remember stock tip with teal core has wider expansive stage.

I use the AZLAs as well, but I had to go a size bigger than usual, then as I posted, I use foam. I just use the DD flex test (when there’s a DD involved) to confirm a seal.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,649 of 7,306
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,650 of 7,306
I have found that the largest stock foam tips give me the best bass. Dekoni does nothing for me. Xelastic are very comfortable, but lose the majority of the bass. Spinfits and Dots lose the bass too. I ordered some Final Type E, should be here any day now.

A VERY tip dependent IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

• SUBA
Back