Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #1,621 of 7,333
IMG_0280.jpg

I think I got this rightish. If anybody is interested, here is a side-by-side comparison of the photo of the int. version body shape from the above @rev92 review (right) and my HK version (left).

You can see the body contours really are quite a bit different. The nozzle length and body size differences are likely due to/enhanced by the camera lens and photo angle differences, but you get the gist of the differences in the actual body contours at least.

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #1,622 of 7,333
IMG_0280.jpg

I think I got this rightish. If anybody is interested, here is a side-by-side comparison of the photo of the int. version body shape from the above @rev92 review (right) and my HK version (left).

You can see the body contours really are quite a bit different. The nozzle length and body size differences are likely due to/enhanced by the camera lens and photo angle differences, but you get the gist of the differences in the actual body contours at least.
Oh, that's quite the difference! I think as far as the camera lens and angle - you nailed it, that's pretty accurate. Maybe that's what this whole comfort discussion is about? I swear, that by the looks of your unit I can judge that these would not fit me as well as my version.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #1,623 of 7,333
I tried my MEST with my desktop rig, GSX Mk2 + Yggy, the other day and the dynamics/stage everything about it scaled massively over my M8/DX228ex, almost reminded me of the first time impact that I heard with Utopia :) MEST scales really well with power, IMHO.

Okay then, next up, the WA5!

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #1,624 of 7,333
IMG_0280.jpg

Interesting, so HK and JP versions are not the same either.

Here are few photos I forgot I had taken comparing JP against my red universal (US) MEST. HK version's body bulk looks similar but it has a stainless steel nozzle tip. Can you see 4 tubes or 3 inside?

img2385.jpgimg2386.jpgimg2387.jpgimg2388.jpg

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #1,625 of 7,333
Interesting, so HK and JP versions are not the same either.

Here are few photos I forgot I had taken comparing JP against my red universal (US) MEST. HK version's body bulk looks similar but it has a stainless steel nozzle tip. Can you see 4 tubes or 3 inside?

Its hard for me to see in there because of the dust guard, I can't see a 4th but that doesn't mean there isn't one. But thats been my understanding, that the HK one is the JP body and tuning with the INT nozzle for whatever reason. Very strange to have all these different configurations, I'm sure there is some method to UM's madness but interesting nonetheless. FWIW I find the fit on the HK version to be perfectly comfortable.
IMG_0291.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #1,626 of 7,333
Jan 25, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,627 of 7,333
Its hard for me to see in there because of the dust guard, I can't see a 4th but that doesn't mean there isn't one. But thats been my understanding, that the HK one is the JP body and tuning with the INT nozzle for whatever reason. Very strange to have all these different configurations, I'm sure there is some method to UM's madness but interesting nonetheless. FWIW I find the fit on the HK version to be perfectly comfortable.
IMG_0291.jpg

The JP version had the extra through-the-shell vent which shows as the second vent hole on the outside and an extra (4th) tube/hole for the nozzle.

I only see 3 tubes in my international UIEM MEST.

EC590830-E1C1-4B61-A4F9-ECE6F03CA27D.jpeg

Yep, international is 3 only.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,629 of 7,333
I only see 3 tubes in my international UIEM MEST.

That's so interesting ~did we ever get an explanation why they're all different set-ups?

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,630 of 7,333
Then, is it the “QDC” cable the right option for the Mest international version?

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #1,631 of 7,333
Hey, thanks for this. While I never use foam, I had been using Sedna Earfit tips and changed to the smaller bore Final E tips and prefer the slightly enhanced bass and smoother highs.

I'm loving my MEST with the Xelastic Tips, the best I've tried so far. The only IEM I have where I prefer the foam tips is my VE Meister, with that and amp 9 on my DX220, it's magic.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,632 of 7,333
I'm loving my MEST with the Xelastic Tips, the best I've tried so far. The only IEM I have where I prefer the foam tips is my VE Meister, with that and amp 9 on my DX220, it's magic.

ohh how does the VE Meister compare to MEST? Do you use it with the limited edition EA cable?

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,633 of 7,333
Jan 28, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #1,634 of 7,333
ohh how does the VE Meister compare to MEST? Do you use it with the limited edition EA cable?

I'm loving the Meister, but I've only had it a couple of days, so I haven't done a lot of head to head, but I'm thinking it's more a mild w (a flatter w), versus the mild v shape of the MEST. Bass and treble both being more pronounced on the MEST, but the Meister having the richer midrange.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #1,635 of 7,333
I'm loving the Meister, but I've only had it a couple of days, so I haven't done a lot of head to head, but I'm thinking it's more a mild w (a flatter w), versus the mild v shape of the MEST. Bass and treble both being more pronounced on the MEST, but the Meister having the richer midrange.

Thanks! Sounds like a nice complimentary set to MEST!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back