Unique Melody Merlin Impressions Thread (All review and impression links located in the 1st and 2nd posts. Pics in posts 3 and 4)
Nov 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #136 of 207
When my Merlins came, I was walking down the hall leaving my apartment building and the FedEx guy was on his way in carry a small/medium package. For some reason, I felt inclined to ask him if it was for me, and when I saw what it was, it was super exciting because I wasn't expecting them for a couple more weeks.

In other news, I am writing this post on an airplane while listening to my Merlins. I have read elsewhere on this forum that the isolation on these is subpar by CIEM standards (in theory due to the vent for the dynamic driver) and must say that I am not experiencing anything of the sort. I'm listening to music at the same volume level as I would at home without any background noise and can barely perceive the noise of the plane. I popped my Merlins in right after boarding, and was quite surprised when I briefly removed them and discovered that I have a screaming child two rows behind me. While I do not own any other CIEMS to which I could compare the isolation, the Merlins easily outperform my universal IEM's and doesn't seem to leave much to be desired isolation-wise.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #137 of 207
IMHO, 90% of the isolation you get from a custom IEM has to do with fit. The Merlins are the second pair of customs I've had, and they isolate far more than the first because they fit much better. I do think that universals with a long nozzle and some thick foamies isolate better though. Just my .02

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #138 of 207
Also, it makes me really happy that Unique Melody is speeding up their manufacturing/shipping times. When I ordered mine about two years ago they took (what seemed like) forever to come in - they just squeaked in under their 'maximum turnaround time'. And then I sent them back for a refit and I had to endure eternity again. Anyway, good job on the early deliveries UM!

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #139 of 207
Wanted to a write a quick note that I received my Merlins today! Last week actually, but I was out of town and just got back today. I've only had a chance to listen to a few songs, but they sound just perfect. Lots of great, well defined bass (I'm a bass player, so that's kinda important). Huge soundstage. Isolation is fantastic. Fit is a little tight (pretty comfortable though), but I'm guessing it will just take a little while for my ears to get used to it (these are my first custom IEMs).

Will post some pictures in the next day or two. Thanks to Stephen from custom-iem for the awesome service!

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #140 of 207
  Wanted to a write a quick note that I received my Merlins today! Last week actually, but I was out of town and just got back today. I've only had a chance to listen to a few songs, but they sound just perfect. Lots of great, well defined bass (I'm a bass player, so that's kinda important). Huge soundstage. Isolation is fantastic. Fit is a little tight (pretty comfortable though), but I'm guessing it will just take a little while for my ears to get used to it (these are my first custom IEMs).

Will post some pictures in the next day or two. Thanks to Stephen from custom-iem for the awesome service!

These were my first customs as well, and I found that my fit has seemed to loosen over time.  I think my ears got used to them and the result is them feeling looser, or maybe I just became more capable of noticing when my fit was loose.  Easy and effective fix was to buy some clear nail polish from Whole Foods (for less chemical nastiness) and put several layers on to beef them up.

I still need to post pictures too...maybe in the next couple days.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #141 of 207
I second the clear nail polish to tighten up fit a little. Your ear canals actually change shape as you age, and also if you gain or lose weight, and during the seasons. I've found that just a touch of some Sally Hansen can make sure I always get the best fit.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #142 of 207
When my Merlins came, I was walking down the hall leaving my apartment building and the FedEx guy was on his way in carry a small/medium package. For some reason, I felt inclined to ask him if it was for me, and when I saw what it was, it was super exciting because I wasn't expecting them for a couple more weeks.

In other news, I am writing this post on an airplane while listening to my Merlins. I have read elsewhere on this forum that the isolation on these is subpar by CIEM standards (in theory due to the vent for the dynamic driver) and must say that I am not experiencing anything of the sort. I'm listening to music at the same volume level as I would at home without any background noise and can barely perceive the noise of the plane. I popped my Merlins in right after boarding, and was quite surprised when I briefly removed them and discovered that I have a screaming child two rows behind me. While I do not own any other CIEMS to which I could compare the isolation, the Merlins easily outperform my universal IEM's and doesn't seem to leave much to be desired isolation-wise.

Technically, the Merlin provides the same isolation as other customs if you can get the same fitting to your ears. The vent for the dynamic driver is not connected with the bores in the ear canals, so isolation is not affected. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #143 of 207
I just Picked up a pair of Merlin's on here basically new.
Once I get them I will need to send them off for a re shell so it will be a good while before I can add any value to this thread, but needless to say I am pretty excited to get into my first pair of ciems.
Now to try settle on a design :S
Scott

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #149 of 207
Have fun choosing 
cool.gif

I mocked up more colour combos than I care to remember and ended up going for black and white. Not taken my own pics yet but the guys I ordered from take pics of every pair for their twitter feed:

Enjoy 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back