Unique Melody Merlin Impressions Thread (All review and impression links located in the 1st and 2nd posts. Pics in posts 3 and 4)
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #167 of 207
If you want more precision, feel free to ask !

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #169 of 207
Alright, I told the good folks at Unique Melody that I would provide my impressions. I think that I've had them long enough now, and used them from enough sources, to give some feedback. 

Thus far I've used them straight out of a Nexus 10, a Galaxy S4, the S4 > E18, my computer > E18, a Clip+ (Rockboxed), a Fuze+ (Rockboxed), and a Sony ZX1. I've flown with them, I've ridden public transportation with them. And I use them at work just about every day. And I absolutely love them. The bass is definitely forward, which they make very clear. You don't buy the Merlin if you want a neutral sound signature, Unique Melody offers other choices for that. This was my first venture in to CIEMs, and it was the most I'd ever spent on headphones/in-ears. I was using HiFiMan RE-262s before I got these. I love those little guys, but these just go so far to blow them out of the water, that I haven't used them since the Merlins arrived. Actually, I gave them to my girlfriend since they weren't getting any use.

The order processing is simple, and it took far less time than quoted to get them to me. They also fit perfectly on the first attempt. They're just so comfortable. The only time they give me issues is when I'm at work, and people walk up to me repeatedly. Some days I can't just get left alone to work, and the removal process does irritate my left ear (not my right, just the left, who knows why) if I do it over and over. One thing that I will note is that during the order process, when you're selecting graphics, they aren't accurately reflected on the site that simulates what you're going to get. I put my alma mater's Block M on mine, and it showed it like it was on the outside, stuck or painted on. But that's not how they came, they're under a layer of the translucent material, making them not really standout at all:

That's not a complaint, I should have asked. Because, next nice thing about ordering here in the United States, Stephen Guo (even when you spell his name Stepheh on your first correspondence, he won't even call you out for being a jerk) is really easy to work with, and answers any questions you might have. So don't make the assumption that I did (a 100% accurate mockup created by the little online tool that UM has), if you're not getting clear ones, definitely make sure to put like a plate on it so that your graphics contrast a little more. Back to Mr. Guo, he'll gladly answer all of your questions, even if you're being annoying and asking a bunch, but all in separate emails.

Back to the sound. They sound marvelous. Detailed and punchy. It's definitely a warm and musical sound signature. They even have a decently large soundstage. Not as wide as my Q701s, or my HE-400s, but wider than on any other in-ear I've heard. With the ZX1 (pictured with the Merlins above and below) they have a wider soundstage than I ever expected from in-ears. And on tracks with, for example, a standup bass, you can feel the strumming, it's a rather remarkable experience. And honestly, I expected that they would be an issue to pair with a player, and they really haven't been. Of course, I've never tried them with anything that has an absurdly high output impedance like my HiFiMan 602. 

I know that this is a short impression. But seriously, if you're on the fence (like I was for months) just order them. You will not regret it once.

May 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #176 of 207
I am quite sure it can benefit from better powered sources, you may go try then out first before you put your bet on them.

Like alot of people i live in a place where i cannot try any of this equipment first. I realize that they will definitely benefit from a DAP, but i want to be sure they will be fine without it. I;m worried about hiss, rolled off treble, and potential clipping of the low end because of the 12 ohm impedance of the merlins with my S4.

May 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #178 of 207

i have probelm with noise background when pair with S4. due to the low impedance of merlin. And the sound is not transparant
when switch to ip5s, the backgroud is clearly black.

This is exactly what i'm concerned about. The 5s appears to have a similar impedance as the s4 though. Not sure what else could be causing this. Dang, i really wanted the merlin to be my first ciem, but its too expensive to take a chance on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back