Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Nov 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #692 of 850
My shell mysteriously cracked and shattered yesterday. I got into contact with um right away. I am 100% careful with my electronics...especially my $1000 plus Iems...I hope this is taken care of. Maybe it was a 3d printing error? I am disappointed at the moment but will keep you posted on how the situation unfolds. I should be covered under warranty as this seems to be a defect. Hopefully UM can make this situation a right one.

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #693 of 850
and now the 1964 Ears ADEL

Everybody is getting into the driver race these days. I hope this doesn't turn into a trend where more = better = more expensive. It's already getting tough on the wallet. :/

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #694 of 850
My shell mysteriously cracked and shattered yesterday. I got into contact with um right away. I am 100% careful with my electronics...especially my $1000 plus Iems...I hope this is taken care of. Maybe it was a 3d printing error? I am disappointed at the moment but will keep you posted on how the situation unfolds. I should be covered under warranty as this seems to be a defect. Hopefully UM can make this situation a right one.

Woah, dude. That sounds terrible. I don't know how a well made shell could crack just like that. Hope UM makes good on this and rectifies this issue.

Anyway, how's the Mentor's sound growing on you?

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #695 of 850
Ironically, just as this happened the sound was growing on me. I'm hoping this can be fixed quickly/amicably. There isn't much I can do at the moment besides just send them back and wait.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #696 of 850

strange i had 4 CIEMs from this company and never had such a thing, and i had my CIEM since years.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #697 of 850
Yeah, it's a real strange occurrence but it happened. The left ear pierce shattered when I took it out of my ear and placed it back in the metal turn case. I better receive a replacement after this ordeal. It's not like I purposely or even accidentally tried to break these! I expect a well built product at this price!

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #698 of 850
Ironically, just as this happened the sound was growing on me. I'm hoping this can be fixed quickly/amicably. There isn't much I can do at the moment besides just send them back and wait.

Just sheer bad luck there, bro. And right when you're about to warm up to them even. Anyway, have you gotten in touch with UM yet? Have they said anything?

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #699 of 850
Thanks...yeah...it is bad luck...I had better get a replacement with little hassle after this ordeal. They were responsive to my email, so I am at least pleased about that so far. I hope they will follow though for me. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #700 of 850

been while people, let me tell you that the Lyr II and Mentor combo is good!! no need to worry about it being noisy or something , yes the Lyr II can drive iems and ciems.

the tubes does take time before the bass became tight, and for the mids to be clear and for the treble's glare to vanish

so make sure you give any new tube some time

the stock tube after settling down will sound with warm treble and bass, the mids will be warm with a nice liquid feeling, for me no stock tubes for a tube amp are good, and difference is more than noticeable with any upgrade, the stock always been so boring even on WA7

if you want a better warm tube i say get a dutch or UK tube 6dj8, and if you want fun with keeping the transparency i say go with a russain 6n23p , just like i did.

it made the Treble extended and sparkling as if i was on a SS amp, and the Bass punchy and fast without being annoying, the Lyr II is a Hybrid after all, it will make you enjoy (with the right tube) and keep everything smooth!  in fact its more fun than the WA7 + EH tubes which is worth more than double the price!!  the mids with my 1974 Russian rocked 6N23p were warm and liquid , lush and sweet , and as i didn't lose any fun at all!! 

its cool that you can change the tubes and get a different presentation and sound sig, on the same amp, though i am not planing to change mine :p but others always want to change depending on the mood.

bottom line don't kill yours with the stock tube, and enjoy your Mentor on it any time.

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #701 of 850
Anyone had a chance to compare the Mentor with the Audeze LCD-3? I was planning to get the LCD-3 but would prefer something portable (plus the Mentor is much cheaper). I had the Miracle which I really liked; just looking for the next step up.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #702 of 850
  Anyone had a chance to compare the Mentor with the Audeze LCD-3? I was planning to get the LCD-3 but would prefer something portable (plus the Mentor is much cheaper). I had the Miracle which I really liked; just looking for the next step up.

i say go directly to the Mentor, trust me i've sold my TH900 not once but twice!! and  yes i had a good amp for the TH900 and i loved it too!! WA7 + EH tubes + TH900 is magic,

but the Mentor is a TOTL epic ciem, not lacking on the bass nor the Treble, not harsh ofc, and mids wise it does win hands down!!

its hard for me to switch to any other CIEM so i don't lose the mids, and no need to worry about the treble/bass is super fun without getting into the harsh area.

also you can use Black Widow cable and Silver Widow cable, or go with DHC cables directly and Enjoy different sound sig with the Mentor, which is another cool option ^^  i even got pure silver cable from Toxic cable for my Mentor, and depend on the mood i choose a cable. 

CIEM world isn't the same now, that you should know, its a huge leap from the Miracle to the Mentor, not just an update, that i won't deny. 

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #703 of 850
Thanks. I actually had the TH900 for a little while and didn't like it much - had pretty good bass and treble detail but I found it thin and a bit harsh overall (probably because of recessed mids). Haven't liked a lot of other high-end full-size headphones either (eg HD800, Beyer T1 were too bright / harsh, HifiMan HE500 had a fatiguing treble spike, Oppo PM-1 too laid back). Favourite headphones I've had have been the Miracles and the Audio Technica W3000ANV. Audeze is pretty much the only high-end brand I haven't tried but I hear they are quite uncomfortable and LCD-3 plus amp and DAC would cost over $4,000 Australian whereas the Mentor is only $1,500 and I assume I can get a much cheaper amp / DAC to drive it adequately.

Willing to spend the money on the LCD-3 if necessary but CIEMs would be much more convenient if the sound quality is up to scratch.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #704 of 850
trust me the Mentor will blow you away :p i am using it on my desktop when i listen to music at home too, on my high end desktop rig, i am getting Ragnarok amp too, the TOTL ciems dont have problem with that amp as well, few of my friends tested it with CIEMs.

might change my X-Sabre with Shiict latest dac later ^^  but i wont change the Mentor at all.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #705 of 850
My Ragnarok Amp got shipped <3  man the Mentor will sound even more Epic now ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back