Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Jun 23, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #753 of 926
That depends on your preferred sound sigs and obviously fit. My mages are my first customs and I'm lucky enough to get perfect fit in one go. Thank goodness I also quite like the SQ. I was a bit worry about lack of bass, but that's not the case. I'm a recovering basshead mind you. IMHO the bass is really good.

On fit however, it took me almost a month to get used to foreign objects filling my ears. The first fortnight or so was torture, but gradually it's more and more natural. Now I can wear it ~6 hours straight no problem. SQ wise I was considering remould of etc. but decided against since I reckon UM will put best effort in their own stuff, but that's just me.

Couple of notes:
- Due to bone conductivity you can hear every footstep. So IMHO these are not very good for public transport. But I guess you can tread lightly? soft soles? YMMV.
- As always with UM the wait is excruciatingly long, but you don't wanna rush this kinda thing.
- My UM cable is on the way which I will take a pic and describe later.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #754 of 926
As promised, here's the pic of UM's own cable. Sorry for the pic quality and the lateness. The length is around 130mm or 50". I can't comment about SQ because this is only a spare, don't wanna use it yet. The built quality is similar to Westone ES3 cable if not better.

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #755 of 926
I had just received my mage. Comfort wise after wearing for a couple of hours is good.

I used to own the ACS T1 using soft silicon but don't feel the lower comfort after switching to mage.

Quote:
How are these on comfort for say, 4 hours straight? 6 hours? 8 hours?

Thanks.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #756 of 926
Hi guys,

I'm interested in ordering  the UM Mage.  If I order the the Black ( as opposed to Black Transparent) it would resemble the one shown on the Null Audio website, right? 

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #757 of 926
To avoid confusion just send him images of what you want. El Fu's opaque black I think:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/448215/unique-melody-mage-review-appreciation-thread/570#post_6355188

Something like that?

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #758 of 926
Yes exactly.  Opaque black it is.

Thank you
smile.gif

Quote:
To avoid confusion just send him images of what you want. El Fu's opaque black I think:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/448215/unique-melody-mage-review-appreciation-thread/570#post_6355188

Something like that?

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #759 of 926
Just to chime in on UM's own cable. I got one with my Mage 6 when I sent them back for thickening the tip (which worked perfectly, even though Sam had spoken as if they'd never tried making the stem larger without remolding. They applied additional acrylic to the stem and hardened under UV light and sanded and finished the surface in a way that was entirely undetectable. You can't even tell they stem was altered. It looks 100% perfect and fits perfect.). I was surprised at the quality of their cable. It's not handmade, but made by a large manufacturer of cables that produces cables for a lot of big names. The cable is very similar to the Westone cable, but the memory wire is longer similar to the UE cable and the wire is thinner/lighter which really seems to help with microphonics. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's BETTER than the Westone cable, but at roughly HALF the price, it definitely deserves consideration when placing your order with UM.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #760 of 926
I just sent an email to UM asking about the Mage, he replied with the order form and everything, but he mentioned the price as $634. Why the increase in price? The exchange rate hasn't gone up or down, and as per the OP, RMB 3750 converts to $555.

Also, I have two other questions, in the order form, I saw the Mage as well as the Miracle. Any idea what the Miracle is?

In the Special request section, in the Socket section, this is filled currently : "[size=10.5pt]UM custom sockets[/size][size=10.5pt]([/size][size=10.5pt]available for ue or westone custom cables[/size][size=10.5pt]".[/size]

I want the Universal socket which will help me put in the Twag wire from Whiplash Audio which will be terminated for my Protector, so is the above one the correct one?

Under wire currently the UM black cables are mentioned, that's the default 3.5mm cable right?

Sorry for so many questions, I want to make sure I get this right, since its a considerable amount of money and I don't want to mess up.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #761 of 926
The price is probably including two day shipping back to you and the cable. Which would add up.

The Miracle is the new 6 driver monitor that Unique Melody released. It is 6 driver, three way, dual arm on all channels. I recently received a pair for review, i will have the review up as soon as possible as it is summer, so i will be on vacation soon....and my surgery. However, i will be back with it as soon as possible!

What you want is the custom socket cause the universal socket is ONLY for the UE universal cable. Any other cable you want to use will fit the UM custom socket.

all these cables come with 3.5mm termination, so there's no worry. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #762 of 926
Woah! How is the signature of the Miracle? Is it an improved Mage or a different one of its own? And how much does it cost?

Thanks for answering all the questions!

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #763 of 926
Sound signature is rather similar, it's kinda like UM's "signature" now that the Mage and Miracle have rather similar sound signatures. The highs and mids are extremely crisp like the Mage, but overall more detail and wider soundstage, with a quicker presentation. Lows are more powerful, quicker, and punchier...despite it having two smaller woofers. 

Cost wise, i'm not sure how much it cost but i'm guessing it's around $850-900. Including shipping and cable. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #765 of 926

Quote:
Sound signature is rather similar, it's kinda like UM's "signature" now that the Mage and Miracle have rather similar sound signatures. The highs and mids are extremely crisp like the Mage, but overall more detail and wider soundstage, with a quicker presentation. Lows are more powerful, quicker, and punchier...despite it having two smaller woofers. 

Cost wise, i'm not sure how much it cost but i'm guessing it's around $850-900. Including shipping and cable. 

I was quoted $930 including cable and shipping for the UM Miracle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back