Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Apr 16, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #736 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ones with the green/clear cable aren't mine - they're a remolded TF10. I simply managed to come across those pictures and thought they looked gorgeous, which is why I opted for the same colors.
biggrin.gif

My reading comprehension is poor tonight...
redface.gif

Anyways, I saw yours also earlier today. Very nice!

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #737 of 926
After an extensive session of photo-taking these candies (with my dad’s regular camera, I have yet to get my DSLR!), I gave them a brief listen, hoping I would be just as captivated as I was when I heard the JH13 demos at Jaben. Granted, they are much cheaper (about half the price of a JH13) and it would be irrational and illogical to ask for the same caliber of sonic performance – but if they succeed to reenact the same feeling I had that day, I have nothing more to ask for.

I think this whole experience has only left me with all but one gripe: the turnover time. I was very expectant of a 3-weeks maximum period from the day I dispatched my impressions to the day I receive the completed customs, but it took a total of 39 days; from the 8th of March when I dropped off my impressions to the 15th of April when the customs arrived at my doorstep via FedEx. I would like to think this is an isolated case though, as the many other customers before me have always received theirs within 3 – 4 weeks. It could also have been something to do with the Westone cables not in stock in time for prompt shipping – a fault not on UM’s part. I was also told that UM was shifting to a bigger factory, so production time wasn’t at its peak. In that case, I can only hope for even better quality and a faster turnover time for their future customs! Oh, and of course, that elusive artwork printer they’ve been meaning to get...

It was a long, long wait indeed...but worth it was the distress The build quality of these is nothing short of stellar, and the sound – ah the sound. In tremulous palms, I hold the product that the past month of sleepless nights and agonizing wait and paycheck has yielded.

As of the time of writing, I believe the unit hasn’t been fully burnt-in yet. I’m not a believer or non-believer of burning-in, as I haven’t actually come across enough IEMs/headphones to be able to make a judgment yet. But take it for what it’s worth – the crossovers; not the armatures, are said to require burn-in and are touted to sound better after that. Take that opinion with a grain of salt.

They arrived in a FedEx Large Pak at 4pm. I was tracking the status on FedEx’s site since I got the tracking number that morning and waited anxiously for the van to show up…it did, only 6 hours later.

image00001d.jpg

Oh, what a ride it was for you.

image00002h.jpg

Since I’ve developed an OCD habit of taking excessive photos of the shipments I get, this is no different. I proceeded to snap photos before meticulously opening the package.
The FedEx package looked battered up. I could only hope the contents weren’t.

image00003c.jpg

The World On Time. – Yes, yes indeed.

Opening the package yielded a pleasant surprise. A white box and a small black case were found. I wasn’t expecting the latter – I thought UM only bundled a tiny soft case with their customs. The black case smelled of new rubber/latex, visualize yourself in a tire factory. You get it. The box was made of cardboard with 2 magnets in front to hold the flap in place. It’s like the sort of cardboard they used for leatherbound hardcover books, sturdy and secure.

image00004ut.jpg

image00005i.jpg

image00007oe.jpg

image00006rm.jpg

I wonder what's inside.

The hard case looked like a mass-produced, el-cheapo product, but it’s better than nothing. Sure, it may not be “crushproof” as an Otterbox, but it gets the job done. So long I can have my IEMs in my left pocket with my car keys and have peace of mind knowing they’ll be fine, I’m happy. No need for any fancy “UM” logos or stamps on it, the lesser I have to pay for trivial things, the better. I don’t know if UM has started to bundle this together, since I recall the others before me not getting it. But if that’s the case, great!

image00008mo.jpg

image00009j.jpg

image00010v.jpg

!

In the box lies a black booklet with blue words. Beneath that is something commonly associated with UM’s remolding services, a frequency graph of your very own monitors. Then comes the silvery pouch, a poor choice indeed for ideal protection of your monitors. In a small slit by the left lies the cleaning tool – a brush-like thing with a hook on its other end to clear off and keep your monitors shiny after usage. Hard Styrofoam sits in place beneath it all, keeping everything intact.

image00011z.jpg

image00012o.jpg

image00022zk.jpg

image00013.jpg

image00023am.jpg

image00014zj.jpg

I wonder what lies beneath.

image00015s.jpg

And here we are.

Placed in two corners of a cut-out Styrofoam are the monitors. The memory wire is bent in such a way so they don’t shake and bump around during the transportation.

image00016.jpg

image00021x.jpg

image00020vw.jpg

image00017m.jpg

image00018c.jpg

image00019n.jpg

The booklet included is a little bilingual (English and Chinese) instruction manual on how to insert your monitors and guidelines/tips of usage, along with other tidbits of information that one probably already knows, assuming he knew what he was getting into when ordering a pair of these in the first place. All this is written in broken English – understandable, but hilarious. Criticism unnecessary – I could care less about all that.
As expected from UM, the build quality of these monitors is top notch. The shells are essentially flawless. I managed to find no air bubbles anywhere save for the sound bores – there were a few on each monitor. Nothing major, I’d have to squint to even see them. The shell colors are just as I expected and requested for. I got the idea after seeing another person’s remolded UE Triple Fi 10s. They were beautifully taken and I wanted a similar color scheme – translucent red/blue faceplates with smoky black shells. Now, juxtaposing my photos and the ones of his, they don’t look exactly the same. My shells seem to be more opaque. But again, this can be caused by the lighting/camera. Either way, I’m very contented with how mine turned out – they’re just as I wanted them.

image00024q.jpg

image00025h.jpg

image00026d.jpg

A…D, C, B?

You can clearly see the four armatures inside (a benefit of translucent shells!). The two biggest ones are for the low frequencies, and the other two smaller ones behind them (depends on which way you hold them) are for the mid/high frequencies. The crossover board is on top.

image00027n.jpg

The wires look extremely fine and brittle. They’re neatly coiled/arranged and not just dangling all over the place – a display of scrupulousness in the manufacturing.

image00030m.jpg

image00029c.jpg

I requested for the Westone ES cable along with my monitors. Having owned a Westone UM3X, I liked how they looked, the build quality and how there’s virtually no microphonics with them. They were also light and soft. However, the cables that came looked different from those on my UM3X in a few ways. I don’t know if this is a new batch or if Westone changed their cables, though. The Y-splitter is different – there is no “Westone” logo. Instead of being a black piece of plastic which is used to adjust the length of the two cables routed to each monitor, it’s a piece of plastic. The divided cable is also considerably shorter than the ones on the UM3X. Lastly, the end that is connected to the monitors look different – there are no red or blue dots, but instead an “R” and “L” lettered respectively. There is a few cm of memory wire from the prongs, which accommodates to the shape of the back of your ear, presumably for better grip/comfort. I’m not a fan of this, though. I much prefer no memory wire, but to each his own.

image00035.jpg

image00034f.jpg

image00032v.jpg

I managed to get a good fit. I wouldn’t know what a perfect fit is, but they feel comfortable and they seal well. The right monitors fit better than the left, though. If I smile, the left ear breaks the seal easily (they stay put if I yawn/ open my mouth, though – only smiling breaks the seal). The bores reach longer into the canals than the UM3X’s tips did – a bit of a discomfort at first; as it’s a different feeling, but I’m getting used to it. Two small bores; one from the two low armatures and another from the mid/high armatures terminate into a larger bore at the tip.

image00031b.jpg

image00036u.jpg

Isolation is decent. I personally found my UM3X with Comply tips to be better at isolating noise than these. With no music playing, most noise is blocked out, save for loud sounds like the slamming of a door. With music on, I can hear nothing from the outside. Having said that, I’m satisfied with the isolation – I don’t think I’ll be opting for a refit, since I’m not very willing to part with these and the money for another set of impressions + expedited shipping.

On to sound quality. Now, I doubt I can provide a good review on the sound quality as I’m not very experienced and haven’t had the opportunity to hear a lot of different headphones/earphones, but I’ll try to describe things to the best of my ability.

The only other high-end IEM I’ve owned is a pair of Westone UM3X. Right now I have a Shure SCL2 as a backup pair and a pair of Yuin PK2 earbuds for when I want to fall asleep listening to music. That being said, I don’t think I can provide accurate comparisons.

From memory, the first noticeable thing about the UM Mage customs is the soundstage. The UM3X had a very small soundstage – music felt like it was being played in a small, confined room. The Mage presents an extensive soundstage, very open and welcoming.

They sound more like headphones, not IEMs. Instead of getting the impression that music is playing in my head, it sounds as if there’s that airspace between the music and my ears; like what a pair of headphones offers.

The detail is amazing. I appreciate the clarity that comes with it – I very much detest overwhelming and uncontrolled bass. The Mage offers just that – astounding treble and balanced bass. I remember pairing my UM3X with Comply tips and having to use the Treble Booster EQ setting on my iPod as the Comply sucked out the highs from the music and added a weird bass hump. That in turn resulted in sibilance, which was a lose-lose situation. I didn’t experience as such with the Mage – I didn’t need to change any EQ settings. They sounded right. The decay of instruments was clear and perceivable. I could hear the crash of the cymbal and have it linger.

From what I’m able to tell, there’s good instrument separation. I could concentrate entirely on a single instrument with ease, and the music felt as if it was each distinct instrument coming into play together.

I apologize for not being able to write more on the sound quality. I simply lack the necessary experience with more earphones/headphones and the knowledge of terminologies to describe sound.

The ultimatum: Did the Unique Melody Mages manage to enthrall me the same way the Jerry Harvey JH13 Pro have?

I would say, out of the box – no. They didn’t give me that wow I had when I plugged in the JH13s. They sounded good, that I knew – but I wasn’t as amazed. Now, after hours of playback, I’ve grown accustomed to the sound. I feel just as enthralled and I’m finding it hard to put them down! This could be attributed to the burning-in, be it mentally or the crossovers breaking in. But I have to say, that bit of magic is lost when you don’t find it right at the start. Perhaps I should have refrained from giving them a listen first, and instead let them run overnight.

image00028x.jpg

I hope you enjoyed reading!

- Zarium

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #743 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIGF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good read Zarium, enjoyed very much. Don't worry about the terminology, you expressed yourself well.

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The left fit seem really bad but no difference in isolation between both sides? Anyway, glad u receive ur custom.

Minimal difference. It's not as good as the right, but it's only a small difference in isolation.

Not sure if I'll send it for a refit or not. Hmm.

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #745 of 926
Congratulation, Zarium
smily_headphones1.gif
Ooo.. you the the hard case.. nice... I bought Pelican 1010 case, because that time UM did not gave any hard case.

I need 3 days or about 24 hours playing time, before the 'edgy ness/harshness' going away... take your time and experiment/practice the fitting. Try to pull your ear lobes while inserting the IEMs, it helps it goes deeper. Or, push the IEMs in screw motion.

Looking forward after ther 'burn-in'

TQ.

May 4, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #747 of 926
Hey everyone first time posting here, i'm new to custom iems so i can't really give any comments on it.

Anyway just collected my um mage, got it in the same white box as u guys but without the hard case, and the frequency response chart. well i ordered mine from null-audio, took almost 3 months
frown.gif
. i got mine with a lune cable. The fit is perfect and it turned out exactly like i wanted it.

Well i tried swapping cables a few times and to me, the lune cables sound better well i'm not familiar with such stuff and if i had to describe the difference i would call it clearer but without the harshness?

Well as for problems, i wanted the silver lune cables but i got a black one and the lune cables seems abit short. Anyway i like the um mages alot, its very clear, the bass is not overpowering kind of in the background, but you know its there. Sorry but i can't compare it to anything else as its my only customs atm

Oh and bellow are some pictures i took with my handphone Btw i'm listening to my music using a nexus one.

May 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #748 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by K.Kwan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone first time posting here, i'm new to custom iems so i can't really give any comments on it.

Anyway just collected my um mage, got it in the same white box as u guys but without the hard case, and the frequency response chart. well i ordered mine from null-audio, took almost 3 months
frown.gif
. i got mine with a lune cable. The fit is perfect and it turned out exactly like i wanted it.

Well i tried swapping cables a few times and to me, the lune cables sound better well i'm not familiar with such stuff and if i had to describe the difference i would call it clearer but without the harshness?

Well as for problems, i wanted the silver lune cables but i got a black one and the lune cables seems abit short. Anyway i like the um mages alot, its very clear, the bass is not overpowering kind of in the background, but you know its there. Sorry but i can't compare it to anything else as its my only customs atm

Oh and bellow are some pictures i took with my handphone Btw i'm listening to my music using a nexus one.

congratulations man.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #749 of 926
Hi, currently my ACS T1 is still under servicing, I really don't know when will it be back & I had been missing my music for already a month.
I was thinking of getting this. Any idea how this fare against the ACS T1 ?

I heard that it's better in term of overall sound. My listening is more to any nice music but not into heavy metal rock & rap music.

Thanks.

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #750 of 926
Anyone know anything about progress on the custom with the additional drivers they were supposed to be working on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back