Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Mar 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #691 of 926
chao! whoa dude really eh? u were disappointed by them? i guess the difference doesn't hit one in the face like the very first time one listened to decent phones coming from stock buds. but really? did you get a good fit buddy? on the other hand i guess the sound sig isn't what you might've liked. and it is expensive. the price here is on the high side but i guess having everything done in one place and a peace of mind comes at a price. in any case bro i'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the tf18. next week yeah? finally about time man!

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #692 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosfayt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
err yeah, so do I .... and mine are almost done :p
But you ordered the customs straight from them? By right this is not supposed to happen, Sam personally told me it should not be allowed, as it would be a breach of distribution rights for them.

Lol miles , i tried the jh13 univ at jaben and i was sorely disappointed, like completely and utterly disappointed. I heard nothing special, nothing new. Nothing to justify the huge price tag. Same thing happened when i tried the mages. I just couldn't hear the highly touted mid range and highs. It sounded just like my amped tf10 with es2 cables lmao.

Im just hoping my 6 driver tf18 will do me some justice after all the hype I've heard about it :p Oh well, I'll find out next week, PREPARE FOR PICTURES
biggrin.gif

It's not the monitors, it's your ears.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #693 of 926
what mao said
tongue.gif
and also universal demos don't come close to the real custom.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #695 of 926
I just placed an order for a UM Mage (and just paid for it) through a person somewhat affiliated with UM (hails from the same country as I do). Also got my ear impressions done today.
smily_headphones1.gif
I own a Westone UM3X, but I don't particularly enjoy the sound.. It seems as if it's too bassy for me, and lacks treble and clarity.
Had the chance to plug in another person's Mage for a short while (couldn't get a fit at all, but I managed to stuff the bore in
biggrin.gif
), and from what I managed to hear, it was absolutely stunning. I was impressed.

I'm maintaining communication with the aforementioned person, and I'm still in the process of customizing it, though. And I've got to say, it's very hard! I simply cannot choose what color and what artwork to put on it.

Right now, I'm trying to just search up images of custom IEMs as much as I can to see what sort of color choices are available. I'm still very undecided - not sure if I'd opt for different colors for L and R, and I'm not sure about the artwork; since I was told intricate artwork is highly not recommended, as they do not possess the printers necessary for it yet.

I hope to get some opinions from fellow owners.
biggrin.gif

Do you think a red/blue circle-like artwork (look at the Republic of Korea's national flag) would turn out nice on the IEM?

I was also thinking of a Maltese cross design on the right monitor, but not painted - instead, designed like MaoDi's artwork; flourished with silver confetti to make up the cross' shape.

As for colors, right now I'm thinking of something like JH's "Black eye blue", and something like a transparent-bluish kind, as per these images:

1209091731.jpg

026gg.jpg

I think I'd like a color like a deep, dark blue; similar to the oceans.. Has anyone seen anything like it before?
wink.gif

This artwork was also suggested by the person I am buying them through;

magepreview.jpg

So far I think it looks decent. If the RoK flag is too hard to replicate/will probably look ugly, I might just go with the Maltese cross on the right monitor and that design above on the left.

Sorry for rambling so much, but having paid quite a premium price and having my very own monitors; custom made to suit me, is simply a prospect so enticing.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for taking time to read!

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #697 of 926
Hello,

I received yesterday my Mage. Really nice work UM.
I wonder if my player Amp3 Pro2 works great with the Mage. I expected an impressive combo but it's a little sad a lot of details but no power. Sorry for my bad english.
What do you think ?

Thanks

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #698 of 926
Zarium : Mages vs UM3Xs : If you like clarity, I think you can give/sell/throw away your UM3Xs.
smily_headphones1.gif
Both are like day and night.

Dyzoo : Which part of sound you don't like? Bass? Mid? or Treble?
If you said 'no power', then, is it LESS BASS?
Mage's bass is good in term of quality, NOT quantity. So, you might find the bass will be a bit too fast... but, take your time, and lets your ears get used to the sound signature... (mental burn-in).
BTW, what is your previous earphones?

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #699 of 926
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Mage because I've heard of how they excel in clarity. I find my UM3X's too recessed when it comes to mids/highs, a very flat response. I much prefer the sound with the iPod's Treble Booster EQ, but that in turn makes the highs sound very "piercing". I'm hoping with the Mage, I don't have to EQ my songs, but they'll sound just how I want them to, quality highs/mids but without the sibilance. I hope my search for the ideal IEM ends with the Mage's arrival.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #700 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zarium : Mages vs UM3Xs : If you like clarity, I think you can give/sell/throw away your UM3Xs.
smily_headphones1.gif
Both are like day and night.

Dyzoo : Which part of sound you don't like? Bass? Mid? or Treble?
If you said 'no power', then, is it LESS BASS?
Mage's bass is good in term of quality, NOT quantity. So, you might find the bass will be a bit too fast... but, take your time, and lets your ears get used to the sound signature... (mental burn-in).
BTW, what is your previous earphones?

Hi Bakhtiar,

Thank you for your answer.
By "no power" I mean less bass but I don't think it comes from the Mage.
Because I have to push the volume to max (31) on my player amp3 pro2.
My previous earphone was Phonak audéo pfe 111 which I really love the treble. I know Mage have bump on mid so it's really different. I like this new signature but there is no "fun". Maybe I should change my player (my previous player was iAudio x5l)

Best regards
Dyzoo

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #704 of 926
Mage is very easily driven but definitely benefits from a good amp. I run mine off my Ibasso D4 and it sounds golden.

Zarium if i were you id opt out of the artwork, most of UM's artwork unless they have gotten a new machine is blah at best. Once you get your IEMs and decide on the artwork you can contact Sleek Audio to do the artwork for you they do a fantastic job on the artwork and are reasonably priced. This is why you dont see many UM's with artwork.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #705 of 926
Hmm, many have told me that about the artwork as well. Even the intermediary I communicated with recommended that I either choose something simple or opt for no artwork at all.

He did say Sam mentioned their White color used in artworks have improved greatly, though, and don't turn yellow anymore after being placed in an "oven" (what I was told, in verbatim). Thing is, I already paid for the IEM + artwork. Though I was told that I could simply go without artwork and I'd get the fees refunded, he said he would get Sam to take photos of it first so I can decide if I want to keep it.

Let's say; if I don't fancy the artwork when I'm emailed the photos, can I just tell them to remove it at no extra cost/hassle? Won't they have to make a completely new shell?
How many days would it take for them to remove the artwork - if you have any idea?

Waiting for them is killing me. I can only hope I don't have any issues with the fit when they finally arrive.

I've read about SA's artwork services as well, but the problem here is, I'm not a resident of the States. Shipping it there would cost a whole lot and consume lots of time, avenues I'm not sure I have too much of.

Ah well, if UM's artwork isn't to my liking, I'll just go for a plain shell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back