Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #436 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, Any chance of some pictures when you get a chance? thanks

Yeah ill get some up this evening when I get my camera back. Probably wont be anything spectacular for shots but ill try my best lol. Oh and UM did start sending a small zippered fleece lined case semi stiff on the outside navy blue color. Ill take a pic of it too. It doesnt have UM or anything on it though just plain old blue wish they would have put UM or Unique Melody on it or something. Oh well its good i dont have to buy a case for them now. and whoever said the box is cool is right the box is superb very nice indeed.

Have to say i guess the sensitivity is pretty close to that of the W3 because im listening to the exact same level as i used to my 3's and loving them. Got a few things done today and just came home haha. Ears are still getting used to the fit doesnt feel right yet but like i said ive never had anything this deep and if it was then it was foam so im sure thats it. Im listening on my Iphone 3gS and 4 clicks is all i need on the volume and that is about right for me. Having an out of head experience right now haha. Im sure it will get even better over the next few days of burn in as well.

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #437 of 926
Congrats my headfi friend. Do give it a couple of days. I messed with my ears so much the first day with my first customs that my ear was kinda irritated which led me to feel it in my ear much more. After a couple days and learning to put them in and out I dont get that feeling at all anymore. Of course my left monitor didnt improve and had to be sent back so it takes time to find out either way. Just dont be to hasty to figure it out.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #438 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats my headfi friend. Do give it a couple of days. I messed with my ears so much the first day with my first customs that my ear was kinda irritated which led me to feel it in my ear much more. After a couple days and learning to put them in and out I dont get that feeling at all anymore. Of course my left monitor didnt improve and had to be sent back so it takes time to find out either way. Just dont be to hasty to figure it out.

Thanks man, yeah they are getting better and better i learned not to ever jump to conclusions in this game and give everything a little bit of time. I listened for about 45 minutes straight earlier and they almost disappeared in my ears so definitely getting better.

Anybody else think the Shure P2H would be a good idea with customs? would it make the sound go down in quality? If someone wants to ask a quick question or somethin it would be convenient to justpush a button vs possibly having to take one out.

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #439 of 926
If you guys haven't seen the thread I started, Sleek Audio will do artwork (handpaint or printer) on any brand custom monitor, if your UMs need artwork.

Here's an example.

skulls-resized1.jpg

running-man-resized.jpg

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #440 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you guys haven't seen the thread I started, Sleek Audio will do artwork (handpaint or printer) on any brand custom monitor, if your UMs need artwork.

Thanks again for going the extra route to find this out for everyone. Im definitely going to use them. Their artwork looks amazing.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #441 of 926
What do you guys use to clean your custom's with like the outside of the nozzle? I used some 71% alcohol is that ok or will that hurt them? it worked fine didnt seem to hurt them at all just wanted to make sure it wouldnt do any damage. I just clean the inside with the hook but the outside gets dirty too if my ears arent completely clean. thanks.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #442 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys use to clean your custom's with like the outside of the nozzle? I used some 71% alcohol is that ok or will that hurt them? it worked fine didnt seem to hurt them at all just wanted to make sure it wouldnt do any damage. I just clean the inside with the hook but the outside gets dirty too if my ears arent completely clean. thanks.

The Alcohol wipe should be fine, as long as it's not too moist and you end up dripping droplets down the nozzle! that wouldn't be good. In my experience with customs it's good just to use a micro fiber cloth and clean it with a firm grip.
Steph

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #443 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Alcohol wipe should be fine, as long as it's not too moist and you end up dripping droplets down the nozzle! that wouldn't be good. In my experience with customs it's good just to use a micro fiber cloth and clean it with a firm grip.
Steph

Yeah i didnt use much at all just dabbed a bit on a microfiber cloth and used it like that. I didnt use a wipe for the reason you described, definitely didnt want that to happen.

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #445 of 926
Sorry i didnt get any pics up last night ill get some up today 'i hope.'

Burnt them in all night last night so they have about 18 hours on them now and i have noticed a few changes for the better. They are definitely feeling better in my ears now. yesterday they sounded great dont get me wrong but the treble from 8 to 12k or around there was a little over powering during some in your face songs. Today it really feels like they are settling into their own or it could be my ears i guess. No fatigue at all and they are getting smoother and smoother.

Comparing them to the 3's is interesting since the 3's with the big bass hump and the 'fun factor'. If i had to pic one even if the Mage wasnt a custom i would pick the Mage without thinking twice. The treble is great mids are way richer better and more detailed then the 3's. Bass isnt quite as impactful as Maodi and a few others pointed out, but to me the bass is perfect for my ears. Im a DLS and Dynaudio fan and the low end on these really remind me of that sound, quick accurate but not overpowering. The music is just really fluent and sounds great and is getting better
eek.gif
. Im very happy with my purchase so far and i dont think at this time im going to need a refit they are both feeling really good now that im adjusting to them.

So to everyone that gets the Mages or any customs for that matter, take some time to let your ears adjust before making the decision i thought for sure my left would have to be redone but now it feels great. .

Isolation with these are better then the 3's with large comply's. Really good and the quality of the monitors is just out of this world. Ill try to get some good pics that show this later.
Well gotta jet for a bit but im not taking my monitors out haha. If you have any questions feel free to ask. BTW this is all coming straight out of my Iphone 3gS unamped. Soon i will be getting the Ibasso D4 for my desktop DAC and that should make them sound even more my style.
Keep in mind im still somewhat a headfi newb to headphones, but not audio. Thanks for reading as i said any questions just ask away or picture preferences as well.

Ok guys no making fun, i used my dads camera which is a nikon dslr with like a 1500 dollar lens on it or something but i have no idea how to use it so this is the best i could get without knowing any of the settings or what they meant lol.
the first pic looks really good i dont know what the hell happened after that a few others look 'Ok' i guess.
CSC_0004.jpg

CSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

and in case you were wondering yes i took these pics in the bathroom haha thats where i have the best lighting.

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #446 of 926
Quote:

Sorry i didnt get any pics up last night ill get some up today 'i hope.'

Burnt them in all night last night so they have about 18 hours on them now and i have noticed a few changes for the better. They are definitely feeling better in my ears now. yesterday they sounded great dont get me wrong but the treble from 8 to 12k or around there was a little over powering during some in your face songs. Today it really feels like they are settling into their own or it could be my ears i guess. No fatigue at all and they are getting smoother and smoother.

Comparing them to the 3's is interesting since the 3's with the big bass hump and the 'fun factor'. If i had to pic one even if the Mage wasnt a custom i would pick the Mage without thinking twice. The treble is great mids are way richer better and more detailed then the 3's. Bass isnt quite as impactful as Maodi and a few others pointed out, but to me the bass is perfect for my ears. Im a DLS and Dynaudio fan and the low end on these really remind me of that sound, quick accurate but not overpowering. The music is just really fluent and sounds great and is getting better
eek.gif
. Im very happy with my purchase so far and i dont think at this time im going to need a refit they are both feeling really good now that im adjusting to them.

So to everyone that gets the Mages or any customs for that matter, take some time to let your ears adjust before making the decision i thought for sure my left would have to be redone but now it feels great. .

Isolation with these are better then the 3's with large comply's. Really good and the quality of the monitors is just out of this world. Ill try to get some good pics that show this later.
Well gotta jet for a bit but im not taking my monitors out haha. If you have any questions feel free to ask. BTW this is all coming straight out of my Iphone 3gS unamped. Soon i will be getting the Ibasso D4 for my desktop DAC and that should make them sound even more my style.
Keep in mind im still somewhat a headfi newb to headphones, but not audio. Thanks for reading as i said any questions just ask away or picture preferences as well.

Ok guys no making fun, i used my dads camera which is a nikon dslr with like a 1500 dollar lens on it or something but i have no idea how to use it so this is the best i could get without knowing any of the settings or what they meant lol.
the first pic looks really good i dont know what the hell happened after that a few others look 'Ok' i guess.

Great pics, they look amazing, enjoy!

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #447 of 926
Quote:

[IMGs]

and in case you were wondering yes i took these pics in the bathroom haha thats where i have the best lighting.

they aren't bad. he probably had the wrong lens on. ask for his macro lens, and then try it. Use the "macro" setting, since its easy.

but this UM quality is pretty stunning. If only the shipping and communication isn't so slow.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #448 of 926
Communication was the only thing that was bad for me. The shipping was great he gave me the tracking number on sunday and if it wouldnt have got backed up in customs i would have had it tuesday or wednesday at the latest but that delayed them till thursday.

Getting ahold of Sam wasnt that big of an issue for me it was just getting the man to understand what the problem with my paypal was that was a chore. Other then those flaws it wasnt bad. I am glad i didnt get them to do the artwork though as ill probably go through sleek audio like mrtomlinson showed in the thread. If i had to do it again i would just because a month is a while to wait for your order but for this caliber quality the patience is worth it. Ive yet to see any custom including the jh13's that rivals UM's quality of workmanship.

Ill ask dad to bring over that other lens this week, what does the macro setting look like on the camera? It just has pictures on the knob and letters?

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #449 of 926
Quote:

Ill ask dad to bring over that other lens this week, what does the macro setting look like on the camera? It just has pictures on the knob and letters?

It should be a little "Flower".

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #450 of 926
Seriously nice monitors! As always... The wait and lack of CS is still a small price to pay for monitors that look THAT nice!

Sam emailed me this morning to tell me my refit Mage and TF10s will be shipped tonight. Can't wait.
smily_headphones1.gif
Depending on the fit, the TF10s are going straight to Sleek Audio for some really sweet artwork. Will post pics as soon as it's complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back