Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 19, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #451 of 926
^^ nice man cant wait to check it out. Im gonna email him in a couple weeks now that ive seen the quality they do im gonna go a little more bold with the design. Glad to hear your getting them soon. I bet you have them Tuesday depending on where your located. Like i said i would have had mine in 2 days if it werent for customs being backed up.

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #452 of 926
I have to say these just keep getting even better, Black eyed peas-rock that body, not my favorite song choice but i listened to it and theres a part of the song where it gets quiet but you can here the bass in the background and still some singing. I litterally felt like i was standing outside a nightclub when this part of the song came on, these monitors really are fantastic and whats scary is as my ears adjust and possibly some burn in they keep getting better
eek.gif
. I know BA's arent supposed to need burn in but i know my 3's i had definitely had some changes as they 'burnt in'. I guess these are a little more sensitive then my 3's were as well litterally 3 clicks out of 16 on my 3gS and its plenty loud and sounds beautiful.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #453 of 926
posted this thread but not getting any responses you guys experience any of this.

Hey guys on my 4th day or so with my UM Mages and they fit pretty good, but after about 30 minutes or so listening i start to get a bit of pressure feeling built up in my head is this normal? Will it subside or is it a fit problem that i should address. Its not terrible and most of the time i just leave them in because they sound so good lol. Wanted to see if other custom users have had something similar. Doesnt feel like they are hitting anything in my ear and my ears have adjusted pretty good to them they are comfortable except for that pressure feeling im getting. These arent my first iem's but my first customs. thanks.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #454 of 926
It's normal, no worries. Because sweat builds up after a while, then the seal/pressure is increased. So simply remove the monitors, give it a quick wipe on your shirt or better a cloth and back in they go.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #455 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's normal, no worries. Because sweat builds up after a while, then the seal/pressure is increased. So simply remove the monitors, give it a quick wipe on your shirt or better a cloth and back in they go.

Ok cool good deal glad i dont have to send them back. thanks MaoDi.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #456 of 926
If you feel pain and uncomfortable, then something is wrong with the fitting. Mmm.. I am wondering if you can ask your audiologist, where you did the impression, for opinions.

Thank you.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #457 of 926
From what I understand, the clean shells are best in the industry; better even than FitEars and that information comes from FitEars' biggest fan, a bloke who buys every single version as well as all the big American custom names. Cray fellows here in Japan.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #458 of 926
Well see at first there was a little pain/uncomfortable feeling when i first got them now they feel great. The part that goes in the helix or whatever its called the lump outside is fitting great and it seems my ears are getting used to the deepness of the customs. The only uncomfortable feeling is the little bit of pressure that builds up. If thats normal then i think im pretty good fit wise.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #459 of 926
Well, I have been listening to the Mage for a few days now and I am very impressed. I was worried about the bass, but I find that it is sufficient in quantity and accurate. As described before, it is fast and detailed. It even has good impact which is not to common with BA drivers (at least from the ones that I have owned and tried). I tested it with some bass heavy tracks from The Black Eyed Peas and it did not disappoint at all (I am a fan of dynamic driver bass). The mids is where the Mage shines. Listening to Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder's voice is deep, rich, and incredibly detailed. I can hear almost every breath! Backing vocals sound so much more separated and distinct. I hear details and sounds that I was previously unaware of. The highs are not harsh and I don't detect sibilance. Right up there with the ER4B that I previously owned. I would describe them as detailed and bright. The soundstage is also very wide. The best soundstage that I heard from a universal BA iem was the Triple.Fi's and the Mage has a wider presentation. I look forward to listening to a lot more music with the Mage. In my opinion, Uniqie Melody has created a winner with the Mage.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #460 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have been listening to the Mage for a few days now and I am very impressed. I was worried about the bass, but I find that it is sufficient in quantity and accurate. As described before, it is fast and detailed. It even has good impact which is not to common with BA drivers (at least from the ones that I have owned and tried). I tested it with some bass heavy tracks from The Black Eyed Peas and it did not disappoint at all (I am a fan of dynamic driver bass). The mids is where the Mage shines. Listening to Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder's voice is deep, rich, and incredibly detailed. I can hear almost every breath! Backing vocals sound so much more separated and distinct. I hear details and sounds that I was previously unaware of. The highs are not harsh and I don't detect sibilance. Right up there with the ER4B that I previously owned. I would describe them as detailed and bright. The soundstage is also very wide. The best soundstage that I heard from a universal BA iem was the Triple.Fi's and the Mage has a wider presentation. I look forward to listening to a lot more music with the Mage. In my opinion, Uniqie Melody has created a winner with the Mage.

Hi Rip N' Burn looking forward to reading more impressions from you later. As an avid IE8 fan, at this point would you say they're a clear path to an upgrade from the IE8 or the W3 for that matter?

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #461 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Rip N' Burn looking forward to reading more impressions from you later. As an avid IE8 fan, at this point would you say they're a clear path to an upgrade from the IE8 or the W3 for that matter?

I compared the 3's to the mage on the last page al ittle. Not high in depth but a little and i consider them a great upgrade from the 3's. I was a huge fan of the W3's and im very happy that i sold them for the Mage.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #462 of 926
The Mage's bass is clean, deep and enough in quantity, without any hump. Yes, the mid and treble are shining and well extended. As I mentioned earlier, they make sound fresh and shiny.

Bottom line, Mages blow away my UM3Xs and PFEs (+custom sleeves) in any angle.
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #463 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The IE8 is still a clear winner in terms of soundstage, bass impact, and reverberation. It has a much more laid back presentation in mids and highs and less perceivable details in those areas. I'm still impressed with the soundstage and the bass with the Mage, but the IE8 takes it a few steps higher. Except for bass accuracy and speed which the Mage does better. The mids on the Mage blow away the mids on the IE8. They sound smoother, more detailed, and vocals from the Mage sound more natural to my ears than any other iem that I have tried. It sorta sounds like the PFE with grey filters, but on steroids! I like the highs from both the IE8 and Mage. The highs on the IE8 are laid back but have excellent extension and detail. Same with the Mage, except it has more forward highs, they sound brighter, and has marginally better details. The nickname I have given my IE8 is Old Faithful. I keep on coming back to the IE8 and it always make me happy. I describe them as a fun iem that gets me into the music. If some company were able to remold them while maintaining it's sound signature, I would be sending them out today!

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #464 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 is still a clear winner in terms of soundstage, bass impact, and reverberation. It has a much more laid back presentation in mids and highs and less perceivable details in those areas. I'm still impressed with the soundstage and the bass with the Mage, but the IE8 takes it a few steps higher. Except for bass accuracy and speed which the Mage does better. The mids on the Mage blow away the mids on the IE8. They sound smoother, more detailed, and vocals from the Mage sound more natural to my ears than any other iem that I have tried. It sorta sounds like the PFE with grey filters, but on steroids! I like the highs from both the IE8 and Mage. The highs on the IE8 are laid back but have excellent extension and detail. Same with the Mage, except it has more forward highs, they sound brighter, and has marginally better details. The nickname I have given my IE8 is Old Faithful. I keep on coming back to the IE8 and it always make me happy. I describe them as a fun iem that gets me into the music. If some company were able to remold them while maintaining it's sound signature, I would be sending them out today!

Your response answers my question and more! The Mage no doubt seems like a valuable investment. However, I think I'm gonna stick around longer with "Old Faithful" haha. Your description of them is spot on and I feel the same way about them as you. Thanks!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #465 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
posted this thread but not getting any responses you guys experience any of this.

Hey guys on my 4th day or so with my UM Mages and they fit pretty good, but after about 30 minutes or so listening i start to get a bit of pressure feeling built up in my head is this normal? Will it subside or is it a fit problem that i should address. Its not terrible and most of the time i just leave them in because they sound so good lol. Wanted to see if other custom users have had something similar. Doesnt feel like they are hitting anything in my ear and my ears have adjusted pretty good to them they are comfortable except for that pressure feeling im getting. These arent my first iem's but my first customs. thanks.

Nothing to worry about really, its just a build up of moisture and wax after extensive listening periods, or ones of increased moving activity. Just pop them out and give them a wipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back