Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Oct 6, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #76 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All clear cables turn green after awhile, it's a sad thing as i find Clear cables a lot softer, and matches any kind of IEM compared to Black.

If the custom monitor is made of Hard acrylic, then no there will not be a change in colour. However, if you have a part soft vinyl or part/full soft silicone custom monitors for example Westone uses vinyl tips, UM's Aero SH uses Silicone tips, and Sensaphonics along with ACS use plain Silicone. Then the soft part, being the Vinyl and the Silicone will turn yellow overtime. You are able to slow down the change in colour by keeping your monitors clean with alcohol-free audio equipment wipes, and a microfiber/eyeglasses cloth.

yea dat really sucks.. also clear cables look alot better wif clear shells than black ones.. anyway how long do u reckon it would take for the wires to start greening (say with proper care, regular wiping etc.)?

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #77 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by relishmalice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea dat really sucks.. also clear cables look alot better wif clear shells than black ones.. anyway how long do u reckon it would take for the wires to start greening (say with proper care, regular wiping etc.)?

There's absolutely no stopping it, whether you wipe it or not. the more humid the area, the faster it goes green. None of my Clear cables have gone green yet since i live in Vancouver, and it's not the most humid place here. So i'm safe for a longer time, but no matter what you do you can't stop the greening. Unless you have some magical particle barrier around your cables

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #78 of 926
Quote:

Clear Hard acrylic takes an extremely long period of time to yellow from perspiration and oils from the skin. UV light does not change the colour of Acrylic as acrylic sets with UV light rather than change colour. Manufacturers use UV light rays to cure the acrylic resin to make the shell.

Some manufacturers like Westone and JH Audio can employ the use a SLA (Stereo Lithography) machines that use a UV laser to "print" the shells.

It's more precise than the simpler UV "bath" method. The trade off being a slightly less clear and polished finish.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #79 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some manufacturers like Westone and JH Audio can employ the use a SLA (Stereo Lithography) machines that use a UV laser to "print" the shells.

It's more precise than the simpler UV "bath" method. The trade off being a slightly less clear and polished finish.

Yes there is the SLA method, which i am already aware of. But to my knowledge, i don't think UV light would discolour the acrylic shell. At least it think that's how it is right?

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #80 of 926
How does one order these? I don't see them on their site and no price is listed.

And the contact page is in chinese, which being American is not my forte...

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #81 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does one order these? I don't see them on their site and no price is listed.

And the contact page is in chinese, which being American is not my forte...

Page 1.

Secondly, Sam tells me they plan to order a machine for printing the artwork as opposed to the laser etching/hand painting method currently used, within a year.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #82 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Page 1.

Secondly, Sam tells me they plan to order a machine for printing the artwork as opposed to the laser etching/hand painting method currently used, within a year.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm aware that they're not actually available yet, I was looking for a contact email address as the contact page is entirely in Chinese and so I have no idea who to make an email out to.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #83 of 926
Quote:

There's absolutely no stopping it, whether you wipe it or not. the more humid the area, the faster it goes green. None of my Clear cables have gone green yet since i live in Vancouver, and it's not the most humid place here. So i'm safe for a longer time, but no matter what you do you can't stop the greening. Unless you have some magical particle barrier around your cables

So in your opinion, the humidity is the culprit for the oxidation. IC, So, IMHO, we can minimize the humidity by keeping the IEMs in 'dry box' or case/plastic bag with some silica gel desiccant
smily_headphones1.gif
. Hope that method will work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #84 of 926
Quote:

Yes there is the SLA method, which i am already aware of. But to my knowledge, i don't think UV light would discolour the acrylic shell. At least it think that's how it is right?

UV light can alter the color of pretty much most pigments (usually having a bleaching type effect, but unless you are storing your Ear pieces in direct sunlight most of the day, you should be fine. Even if you were outdoors all the time in full sunlight, any color change would take a long time, and would barely be noticeable.

I'd say it would be more of a worry for me in Southern California than for you.
wink.gif

-Ed

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #85 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm aware that they're not actually available yet, I was looking for a contact email address as the contact page is entirely in Chinese and so I have no idea who to make an email out to.

Oops, I'm sorry. I got this thread confused with the other two UniqueMelody threads that have the contact info on page 1. This particular thread doesn't have the contact info.

Sam Zhou
UM Executive and Customer Service Rep
Kabang567@hotmail.com

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #86 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, I'm sorry. I got this thread confused with the other two UniqueMelody threads that have the contact info on page 1. This particular thread doesn't have the contact info.

Sam Zhou
UM Executive and Customer Service Rep
Kabang567@hotmail.com

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #87 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in your opinion, the humidity is the culprit for the oxidation. IC, So, IMHO, we can minimize the humidity by keeping the IEMs in 'dry box' or case/plastic bag with some silica gel desiccant
smily_headphones1.gif
. Hope that method will work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

no, oxygen is the culprit in oxidization of the cables (funnily enough), also the acids in skin oil accelerate the process as oxygen is a biproduct of the chemical reaction with the acid and copper. with cables that are slightly porous and do not have a thick silver plate or are not pure silver, there is no avoiding them going green; it will hapen eventually wires that are full insulated or treated with a solution/plating to fight oxidization will all suffer from it. silver turns black, but more slowly and silver oxide, unlike copper oxide is still very electrically conductive, in fact if I remember correctly (dont quote me on it), silver oxide is still more conductive than copper

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #88 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, oxygen is the culprit in oxidization of the cables (funnily enough), also the acids in skin oil accelerate the process as oxygen is a biproduct of the chemical reaction with the acid and copper. with cables that are slightly porous and do not have a thick silver plate or are not pure silver, there is no avoiding them going green; it will hapen eventually wires that are full insulated or treated with a solution/plating to fight oxidization will all suffer from it. silver turns black, but more slowly and silver oxide, unlike copper oxide is still very electrically conductive, in fact if I remember correctly (dont quote me on it), silver oxide is still more conductive than copper

Partially correct. Pure, unoxidized silver is only 6% more conductive than copper. Silver OXIDE, however, is the only metal oxide that is conductive. Thus, silver is used because oxidation would degrade the performance of a copper cable, but theoretically add to the relative performance of a silver cable.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #89 of 926
Oxygen is in fact the cause of "oxidization", but because water is made partly of Oxygen, it also affects the rate of oxidization in cables. That is why metal rusts when water is in contact for a period of time. Placing them in a dry humid place will help to slow down the greening of the cable, but it won't stop it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back