Unique Melody IEM discussion thread(MEST, MEXT, Mentor, Mason, etc.)
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #91 of 111
MEST MK3 works very well with Spinfit 1025. I think they are intended to be used for TWS but they work fine with other IEMs too, especially ones with BCDs. I'm getting an even deeper fit with these tips than the included Petal tips, and I am getting more treble energy now. Not a bad thing of course, and I actually thought I would prefer these tips, but after a few days I started missing the more laid-back sound of MK3 with stock tips. So I went back.

After having MK3 alongside MK1 for quite a while now, I can see why people would prefer MK1. It is DISTINCT, and I don't think I've heard anything else quite like it. It always stands out, and is always a blast of fresh air if I haven't listened to it in a while. MK3 has some advantages, but it definitely has more of a safe tuning with more traditional imaging. If I had to pick one or the other to round out a diverse collection of IEMs, I'm going with MK1. But if I could only have one IEM and it was between these two, I'd probably go with MK3 just because it's more of an all-rounder imo.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #92 of 111
MEST MK3 works very well with Spinfit 1025. I think they are intended to be used for TWS but they work fine with other IEMs too, especially ones with BCDs. I'm getting an even deeper fit with these tips than the included Petal tips, and I am getting more treble energy now. Not a bad thing of course, and I actually thought I would prefer these tips, but after a few days I started missing the more laid-back sound of MK3 with stock tips. So I went back.

After having MK3 alongside MK1 for quite a while now, I can see why people would prefer MK1. It is DISTINCT, and I don't think I've heard anything else quite like it. It always stands out, and is always a blast of fresh air if I haven't listened to it in a while. MK3 has some advantages, but it definitely has more of a safe tuning with more traditional imaging. If I had to pick one or the other to round out a diverse collection of IEMs, I'm going with MK1. But if I could only have one IEM and it was between these two, I'd probably go with MK3 just because it's more of an all-rounder imo.
Thanks I may check out the 1025s for 3DT also.
I like the wider, shallower build cp to Spinfit Cp145s that I have used that are a lot taller.

Another option I have used for some other expensive and hard to fit IEMs are Advance Eartune Fidelity custom ear tips. They require you to complete and send in an ear canal mold, but for IEMs that they have already fitted for someone else ie MEST MK1 you would not need to send in the IEM. I have obtained these for 64 Audio U12T which were impossible for me to find a good fit with any tips. They fit snugly but not uncomfortably and mine do not require deep insertion- YMMV depending on your ear anatomy.

It was transformative, finally I understood what those IEMs can offer. I was ready to sell them- not now! The Advance customs cost $200 USD so not really suitable for more inexpensive IEMs (they will fit those for you too but it seemed a bit wonky to spend more on custom tips than I paid for the IEMS).

Here is the link : https://eartune.com/products/eartune-fidelity-custom-fit-eartips

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #93 of 111
I've had quite good synergy with Mest III and the Spinfit W1 or Azla Sednafit Max both of which use a comfortable silicone. The latter are perhaps more comfortable and softer.

My only gripe is that I have significant driver flex in one IEM. Why not the other? I don't know. But it begs question that it's possible. Shame really as they're sonically excellent. And at the second hand market price point very competitive.

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #95 of 111
I went to CANJAM and compared the MEST MKII vs MKIII and the MKIII blew the MKII out of the ball park,

I bought them they come Tuesday
I agree with you, the MKIIIs are the best of the three. However, the differences are not that big. I know a few people who still prefer MKII or OG due to their strongly accentuated highs. What color did you choose? :)

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #97 of 111
I went to CANJAM and compared the MEST MKII vs MKIII and the MKIII blew the MKII out of the ball park,

You're just so lucky can compared all side by side and pick one based on your preferences 👍🏻 congratulations!

I agree with you, the MKIIIs are the best of the three. However, the differences are not that big. I know a few people who still prefer MKII or OG due to their strongly accentuated highs. What color did you choose? :)
That's what I meant, especially when someone also considering budget to spend (cost / performance value)

i went with blue
20230524_185611.jpg

I also love the beautiful yet elegant shell of the blue variant. You bought this color right? My mest OG is red, not quite a looker, I wish I could get the classic full black of japanese version Mest OG with inner carbon fiber texture on inner side of the shell.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #101 of 111

Universal MK3 was barely a side-grade to my custom MK2 unfortunately, and I had no intention of making another customs at the moment, so it was a pass in spite of the very tempting price on MusicTeck...

What were you listening with? I had my 1ZM2 and 320MaxTi with me. Still very much in love with my MK2s (wallet and wife thanks me)

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #102 of 111

Did you happen to be demo'ing them early Saturday morning right as the doors opened? I was listening to the Mason FS-NE at the MusicTeck table and there was a guy to my left (I think with a baseball hat on?) who was demo'ing the MEST MK3 and he loved them instantly and was saying how he was going to buy them. If that was you, congrats on your purchase and your enthusiasm towards the MK3 had me really happy for you.

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #103 of 111
I'm considering converting my universal mest mk2 into custom ones, I'd like some thoughts from anyone who has already done this. is it worth it? are there many sound differences? if so which ones? Thank you.
Did you end up doing this? I’m considering the same thing but a bit freaked out about the idea of shipping them there with no guarantee that if something went wrong I’d be made whole. Seems my only option is usps with no insurance options available. Also worried about customs or having to pay more in customs when I get them back.

Has anyone sent a universal back in to have customs done? How was the process? And did it make a huge difference in sound? Will they use the same drivers? I specifically had UM pick out a pair with the least driver flex as I originally had an issue. Anyone with customs that can speak to the driver flex issue in general?

I’m mainly interested because my mest mkii’s hurt after a bit and the fit isn’t great for me. I’m also a musician and while I haven’t been using my mests live I’m starting to consider it, especially if they were customs. But as it is they start to hurt pretty quickly while I’m mixing or recording.

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #105 of 111

Both MK1 and MK3 are very good iems but the sounds different. Loving both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back