Unique Melody IEM discussion thread(MEST, MEXT, Mentor, Mason, etc.)
Aug 28, 2023 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

SweetCans928

500+ Head-Fier
20230809_115511.jpg

I noticed the most active section of Headfi for IEM discussions didn't have a UM thread, so I asked UM if it would be OK to start such a thread, and here we are. On top of having and loving both the OG MEST and MEST MK3, I also have their 3DT triple dynamic driver IEM, which isn't as good as the other two, but it's nice in its own right, with an awesome soundstage. Soundstage seems to be something UM is good at, based on my experience with three of their IEMs anyway.

Something I really love about MEST MK3 is how much vertical space it has. It really fills up that space too, making everything sound BIGGER in relation to my more conventional IEMs. I guess it's that BCD at work!

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 111
I have come around on these included "petal" tips with MK3. I'm even using them on MEST 1 now.:L3000:
I'm still not sure what the point is of the "open" tips though...unless they're for people who love how their IEMs sound without a seal. It seems like literally no one has liked them.

Attachments

• 20230915_101608.jpg
    20230915_101608.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 111
I have 2x UM Mest MK2, UM 3DT and UM Mest Indigo so far.
20230915_213437.jpg
20230915_213659.jpg

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 111
Has always been a fan of UM, first Miracle ciem then first Mentor ciem over a decade ago.
The Mentor ciem is still alive and well (amazing longevity on the BA drivers) reshelled once, the technicalities are still up there with today's standards, I can say it still has energy to fight alongside it's grandson Multiverse.
Today it still sits atop my list of what a fun musical all BA set can offer, so good it took me off this hobby for ten whole years, from BA days, time skipped straight to quadbrids.
Now the mentor sits back in my hall of fame. Coming out once in a while to crack on new gens.PXL_20230827_154704073.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 111
UM has been around forever, and I'm surprised they didn't have a dedicated thread yet.
Maybe it's because their models were popular, and each iem gets their own thread.
Anyhow, best of luck to getting this thread active!

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 111
UM has been around forever, and I'm surprised they didn't have a dedicated thread yet.
Maybe it's because their models were popular, and each iem gets their own thread.
Anyhow, best of luck to getting this thread active!
We used to have one but that was under the sponsor announcement. The others were product by product. It would be great to have fan based thread. I will post more here in the future for sure.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Sep 30, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 111
Hey guys, we are going to bring our secret prototype tomorrow to the SoCal.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Oct 5, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 111
I searched for an alternative thread to submit this but this seems the best place. Recently, my UM 3DTs developed a driver failure in the left IEM, requiring return to Unique Melody under an RMA through the vendor MusicTeck. The unit could not be fixed, so UM provided me with a new set with the Asian coloring at no cost, except for the final leg of shipping back from Musicteck. They are absolutely gorgeous, I won’t comment on the sound quality here which has been reviewed with excellence elsewhere on the forum, except to say their value are much more than their cost, - I just wanted to provide a shout out to UM here and express my thanks for their excellent customer service, which, in my view went far above and beyond what I would’ve anticipated or expected, given the situation, as the 3DTs were no longer on warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 111
I searched for an alternative thread to submit this but this seems the best place. Recently, my UM 3DTs developed a driver failure in the left IEM, requiring return to Unique Melody under an RMA through the vendor MusicTeck. The unit could not be fixed, so UM provided me with a new set with the Asian coloring at no cost, except for the final leg of shipping back from Musicteck. They are absolutely gorgeous, I won’t comment on the sound quality here which has been reviewed with excellence elsewhere on the forum, except to say their value are much more than their cost, - I just wanted to provide a shout out to UM here and express my thanks for their excellent customer service, which, in my view went far above and beyond what I would’ve anticipated or expected, given the situation, as the 3DTs were no longer on warranty.
That color is absolutely stunning.

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 111
Oct 6, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 111
Mest is best! I've had my mk2 mests ever since they were released and I haven't been persuaded to upgrade to anything else yet.

What have you all been doing with tips? I just got the Dunu S&S foam shaped silicon tips. Definitely the bassiest tips I've ever used.
Screenshot_20231006_025605.jpg

I found the Zeos silicon foam tips to be pretty great too. Foam is much softer than some of the alternatives with the orange foam which were impossible to use.
Screenshot_20231006_025631.jpg

Oct 6, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 111
Mest is best! I've had my mk2 mests ever since they were released and I haven't been persuaded to upgrade to anything else yet.

What have you all been doing with tips? I just got the Dunu S&S foam shaped silicon tips. Definitely the bassiest tips I've ever used.

I found the Zeos silicon foam tips to be pretty great too. Foam is much softer than some of the alternatives with the orange foam which were impossible to use.
This is an important issue for UM IEM users of the chunkier IEMs- for 3DT users for sure. The orange foam Symbio F tips are indeed pretty stiff until they are very well worn in, they do eventually soften to the point where they are more comfortable, but if these Zeos tips are softer they may work better right out of the box.

It is frustrating though that we have to struggle so to find the perfect match for our ears, which is not the same for different IEMs. The SQ can highly vary with different tips. When one finds the right match it can be transformative. The 3DTs need a good fit or the reputed upper mid shouty SQ and loss of bass impact results - with a good fit it is golden and well balanced (to me YMMV).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back