Unique Melody IEM discussion thread(MEST, MEXT, Mentor, Mason, etc.)
Feb 28, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #76 of 111
Is anybody trying the free refurbishment campaign?
Anybody knows if is legit?
I’m sending my multiverse Mentor and Mest Mkll.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #77 of 111
I did contact them and it sounds 'legit'.

However, I'm in the 'if it's not broke, no need to tweak it' category. So have held off. My main issue is driver flex in one IEM on the MEST III which annoying but unfortunately difficult if not impossible to rectify.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #78 of 111
I did contact them and it sounds 'legit'.

However, I'm in the 'if it's not broke, no need to tweak it' category. So have held off. My main issue is driver flex in one IEM on the MEST III which annoying but unfortunately difficult if not impossible to rectify.
My multiverse and Mest suffer of socket problem. The cable unplug very easy. Is really annoying.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #79 of 111
My multiverse and Mest suffer of socket problem. The cable unplug very easy. Is really annoying.
Some of the cables are loose on my mest2 too but some are not. Perhaps just the 2pin thickness or some 2pins are a little pinched together?
But ya, kinda wanna send my custom mest2 back to fix the scratchy edge around the faceplate and the shell...

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #81 of 111
I am between MEST MKII and MKIII, Is it really worth spending the extra money for the MKIII?

If you already own MkII, my personal opinion, it isn't a worthy "upgrade" unless you have free spare money. They are more like sidegrades to each other between MkI II and III. Just different flavor and preferences. I didn't hear the MkIII directly but I was listening to UM Mest Indigo (limited) that I thought was an upgrade to MkI or II, but not really even having more drivers, which later reborn as Mest MkIII with exact driver config, tuning and even shells. Mids are more slightly refine though but differences are subtle.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #82 of 111
If you already own MkII, my personal opinion, it isn't a worthy "upgrade" unless you have free spare money. They are more like sidegrades to each other between MkI II and III. Just different flavor and preferences. I didn't hear the MkIII directly but I was listening to UM Mest Indigo (limited) that I thought was an upgrade to MkI or II, but not really even having more drivers, which later reborn as Mest MkIII with exact driver config, tuning and even shells. Mids are more slightly refine though but differences are subtle.
i think im just going to get the MKII it is literally $750 cheaper on Musiktek. Ill listen at CANJAM NYC to both and if the difference does not wow me ill use my brain and ave the money for a FiiO M11 Plus

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #83 of 111
i think im just going to get the MKII it is literally $750 cheaper on Musiktek. Ill listen at CANJAM NYC to both and if the difference does not wow me ill use my brain and ave the money for a FiiO M11 Plus
I had the M11 plus (ESS). If youre treblehead, you'll be pleased with mest + M11 plus ESS combo but if not, you may feel they are too bright or too treble forward since Mests have forwarded trebles especially in 6-8khz and M11 plus tend to be a neutral with hint of bright, good Soundstage though.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #84 of 111
I had the M11 plus (ESS). If youre treblehead, you'll be pleased with mest + M11 plus ESS combo but if not, you may feel they are too bright or too treble forward since Mests have forwarded trebles especially in 6-8khz and M11 plus tend to be a neutral with hint of bright, good Soundstage though.
I read the MEST MKIII brought the treble down big time, maybe it is worth the extra price then

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #85 of 111
I read the MEST MKIII brought the treble down big time, maybe it is worth the extra price then
Well you're coming to canjam anyway just listen to both. It's really personal matter about taste up until here. Like I said before they're more like sidegrades to each other,

Mest 1 : sharp resolution and definition, forwarder upper mids and trebles on lower trebles and upper extension, maybe the sharpest but worst timbre

Mest 2 : more relaxed upper mids and lower trebles with similar "tizziness" on medium trebles, same airy feeling with Mk1 but overall little bit warmer also because of bass bigger perception

Mest 3 (if they're really the mest indigo) : slightly more refine around high mids and lower trebles area, slight cut to the razor sharp definition of Mest 1 but with better timbre.

Best chance you can try all of them and pick the best for you. I just remind because you said going to pair it with M11 plus ESS which also treble focus DAP.
Cheers

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #86 of 111
I've tried the Mest 3 and it is definitely more refined, especially in the treble region. Less peaky treble but because of that, it is less fun and aggressive than the Mest 2 that I own. If you find the Mest 2 too aggressive then go for the Mest 3.
(Can always brain burn in or try different sources for the peaky treble anyways haha)

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #87 of 111
I've tried the Mest 3 and it is definitely more refined, especially in the treble region. Less peaky treble but because of that, it is less fun and aggressive than the Mest 2 that I own. If you find the Mest 2 too aggressive then go for the Mest 3.
(Can always brain burn in or try different sources for the peaky treble anyways haha)
How do you all find the imaging on these sets?

Mar 3, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #88 of 111
How do you all find the imaging on these sets?

Imaging with all Mests are among the best in IEM world. No questionable. The Mest 1 that I still keeping is the sharpest, but again with sligghhtt worse timbre (sounding more electronic than natural, imagine of grand piano sound out from keyboard), not that bad but noticeable.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #89 of 111
Imaging with all Mests are among the best in IEM world. No questionable. The Mest 1 that I still keeping is the sharpest, but again with sligghhtt worse timbre (sounding more electronic than natural, imagine of grand piano sound out from keyboard), not that bad but noticeable.
Thanks sounds great- the MESTii’s universals can be had for <$1000 USD these days. It’s probably one of the best deals in audio.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #90 of 111
Thanks sounds great- the MESTii’s universals can be had for <$1000 USD these days. It’s probably one of the best deals in audio.
Yeah It is, even compared to several big boys that priced twice or thrice, if we talk about imaging, Mests still hold up against.

20230524_183408.jpg

20230423_131356.jpg
20230423_130213.jpg
20230423_121836.jpg

I really like Odin though, but Mests have similar presentation (Odin have more details and resolution especially on mids and high mids) but the imaging, technicalities even bass quality, are close for fraction of the price of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back